• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Build Log: Project Monochrome

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rustyfender

Well here is another build log. The case will be a black and white theme with shrouds added to improve the cooling layout of the case.
pic before build.
IMG_20130701_1310541.jpg

CASE:
AZZA Genesis 9000B

Old Hardware:
Sabertooth z77, 2700K, OCZ Agility4, EK Supreme HF, 2 swiftech 655 pumps, 2 swiftech mcr320QP, sunbeam fan controller

New Hardware:
xfx double D 7970, xspc 7970 fullcover block, bitspower dual D5 pump top (acrylic), Bitspower dual d5 mod top resivoir.

Now the problem with the 7970, when i ordered the part i did not know that there was a new revision that caused the block not to be compatable any longer. however so long as the core and mem layout is still correct then i can modify the rest to fit, I'm thinking its just a matter of shaving off a section a bit to fit over a component. I will document this in the build log.

The Plan:
Here is the plan in a nutshell is I'm going to remove slats in the top case fascia and replace them with mesh to improve airflow. in the bottom of the case im going to add shrouds made of white translucent plexi and the pumps will rest in 2 holes in the shroud with the bitspower modtop above the plexi. I will paint the thermal armour on the sabertooth white.

the led lights in the xspc waterblock, the ek supreme hf, and the bitspower modtop will be blue.

Last edited:
I have the first panel trimed to fit. it still has the blue plastic wraping on it but you get the idea. there will be anouther panel flat at the top of that forming a separate airpath for the power supply and a spot to mount a future 2x140 or 2x120 rad. and anouther vertical panel on the back of the drive bays where one of the 320 rads will be mounted

IMG_20130701_1407121-1.jpg

excuse the poor ms paint skills but hopefully this gives you a better idea what my plan is for the case interior

picture.php

Last edited:
hmmm i cant decide if i should go gloss white for the sabertooth thermal armour or flat or matte white. i was also going to strip the brown anodizing off the southbridge heatsink so it was bare alum.

**EDIT**
@LoganG- i will do that thanks for the heads up i will make that change tonight

Last edited:
So here is where things stand at the end of night 1. I got totally sidetracked and forgot to take photo's of the bitspower res/pump unit. unfortunatly i was sent the resivoir with the block delrin cap and base instead of the fully acrylic one i wanted but :shrug:
not the end of the world. at stillblack so it should fit in with the color scheme of the build. For those of you who are wondering how i avoided painting over the lettering on the mobo cover and heatsink. i used scotch tape(clear plastic) not masking tape i found the scotch tap easier to trim to cover the letters.
Let me know what yu guys think so far!
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

oooohhhhhhhh more toys came in the mail today. My 7970 got here, and upon inspection,k from what i could see with the heatsink still on the gpu, it looks like the xspc full cover block will fit the xfx card just fine. Maby it was just the way EK made theirs that it no longer fit.

More on that later. along with some Goodies Pics!

**eddited for grammer**

Last edited:
Last night i got a whole bunch done. The gpu block fits fine. however i do have to shave material off the mosfet cooler so it clears the components next to them. and i had to stack a few peices of thermal pads ontop of the two things near the pci-e braket. however i ran the card all night with no cooler on the mosfets with it folding, heat does not seem to be an issue. tonight ill Mod the GPU blocks mosfet cooler.

I'm still trying to figure out how im going to run the tubing. and i have to trim the bottom panel of the main compartment to fit. and modify the front panel to mount teh fan controller in a more inconspicuous place.

Later i will post a pic of my hole saw. this things is downright scary to use.

these are some progress pics from the last two days. i will upload more alter tonight. i hope to get that last plexiglass panel fitted tonight and get started with glueing them in place. the rad placment wound up being a bit wierd as i didn't realise that the mothernord sat higher up in this orientation then when it was reverse mounted. but i got around that problem easily.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The Swiftech Apogee HD white would've also matched. Nonetheless loving this build. Great job and can't wait to see more pics. :salute:

Here are some more progress pics.

This is/was the mosfet cooler for the xspc 7970 waterblock. As you can see i had to hack out the center section of the thing to make it fit over xfx's components and had to apply the thermal pad on the side of said components to get them to be cooled.
picture.php

Here is a pic of the case with major modifications nearly complete. I left the bottom side panel so it just snaps into placefor easy access to the drain tube wich just has a 75 cent ball valve from home depot on the end.
picture.php

Here is a pic with the major tubing complete. i will be ordering a 3 hole top for the resivoir and a drop tube so it gets air out better. cause as it stands getting air out is a massive pain. with this pump res setup you rally have to put the return line in through the top of the resivoir unless you feel like spending hours bumping the pumps to get the air out to a point where you can leave them runniing without the pumps cavitating.
picture.php

Now the bad news.
The cpu error light on the motherbord is staying lit and no post. i have to check the psu with the multimeter to make sure im getting power. I tried putting my backup mobo in which i know works but still no post. If the PSU checks out it looks like ill be getting a new i7. i may as well go with the 3770k instead of the 2700k due to pci-e 3.

Sounds like dead cpu indeed...My MVG killed cpus for fun, be warned.
Try to RMA with Intel and get a 3770k, but your board might be faulty like mine is.

Good work btw, great build.

Build is not quite finished yet. i have some plans for cool looking lighting, replace the slats in the top with mesh for better airflow, and integrating my fan controller into the case fascia. i don't think the motherboard is the problem as that 2700k was in it since this time last summer. I just checked the psu with the multimeter it checked out if definitely the cpu.

**EDIT**
@Conundrum
That's a great idea! I will definitely be doing that.

@ivanlabrie
Thanks for the heads up. i don't think this bord is a cpu killer like your was. the cpu was in there since this time last year. i think it got killed by static or something. i was working with acrylic after all in the case and it builds static really easily.

Last edited:
Back