• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Forcing firmware to HDD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Niku-Sama

alright, i'm sick and tired of the drive I have.

I have a windows drive and a 1tb everything else drive that has steam and all the games loaded to it and that 1tb drive has a APM "feature" that's at the firmware level.

I talked to Seagate about it, they said the serial number for the drive suggests its was once a external drive, well it isn't any more. they know of the issue with the drives and when I asked them if the external and internal versions of the drive were the same I was told they were. but because of the firmware being for an external drive the checksum doesent match the new firmware for the internal drive.

when I asked them if there was a way to force it, seeing how the only difference is the firmware, the communication went dead.

frankly I know the risks, I just need it to stop parking its heads when I am playing a game and then have the system wait for it to spin up if some one joins the game. really sucks, causes a lot of deaths in online matches.

any thoughts?

I see it happening one of 2 ways:
#1 it works and performance improves
#2 it doesn't and I buy a new drive and have a new set of magnets to play with

its being backed up now to a portable drive that I forgot I owned (its slow so time for bed) but any input on force feeding firmware to a drive would be good

PS.

none of the programs to write constant small amounts of data don't seem to work, makes it worse because it seems to fill the buffer, spin the heads, dump it to the disk stop over time and rinse and repeat.

Can you change that by tweaking the power saving setting using a program like MHDD, HDAT2, or HDDscan? For HDDscan, click on the magnifying glass in front of the monitor, choose Features, and then choose IDE Features. There are adjustments for Acoustic Management, Power Management, and Advanced Power Management. These don't all work with every drive.

Back