• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 New Bios

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
SOB! I flashed the 1.40 straight forward via instant flash (F6) and everything went fine. Reboot and my raid was destroyed :-/ Check my SSD's and one of them is toast. Shows up intermittently in the bios. Changed sata cables, reboot to re enable raid, both drives show up but one keeps coming up "non member disk". Tried to recreate another raid array, but the 2nd drive isn't showing up.

Check in non raid and there it is, reboot into non raid and no drive. Looks like it's screwed :mad: RMA time...sheeesh.

Bios flashing and losing drives arent really causeational/related.

Sucks neb... Sorry.

Did you try to SE the drive and start from scratch?

Ouch!!!!!

Can you back up to old bios to see if it will work again?

Using the back-up bios switch on the board didn't help. I even tried testing the drive in another pc to no avail :-/

Bios flashing and losing drives arent really causeational/related.

Sucks neb... Sorry.

Did you try to SE the drive and start from scratch?

I would if I could, but the drive isn't seen/recognized in bios/desktop now. Dang drive is toast for sure. This is the first time updating the bios fubared a drive, but then maybe the drive was on it's way out already and it was a matter of time before it gave up the ghost. Guess the bios update was the final push over the edge.

On a positive note; corsair is replacing it :)

The bios flash had to be add odd coincidence as flashing a bios has nothing to do with sata anything.

Hi Neb, sorry to hijack your thread, but how is the z97 extreme6? With my #1 rig in sig being stolen, I plan on building a 4790K one (was lurkin on x99, but out of budget ;)).

Lol! Thanks Joe, will give it a look!

Edit:

been (quickly) through the review and it seems it will be the one!

Last edited:
nebs, I just lost an ocz agilty 4 after little more than a year, sorry to hear about yours.
I have the asrock extreme 9 board, there are bios updates but so far can't see a reason to update, I tried the first update for it, it added some features for ram clocking but i have settled back to 1.0

I went from bios 1.33 to 1.4 today, I have 1 ocz vector (windows), 2 ocz vectors in raid 0 (games) and two 3tb drives in raid 0 ( additional storage) , the 2 ocz vectors in raid 0 had no issues, my two 3tb drives in raid 0 got corrupt and I had to kill the array and make a new one. Whats even more strange is on my ASROCK z87 pro 4 board i have a raid 10 with 4 drives and after doing the lastest bios update last month, it killed my array on that computer. Thank god for backups! I have never had a bios update kill raid arrays before. Something must be going on with asrocks bios...

Wasnt thinking.. that makes sense. But since the port still works, how could it have killed a drive? It updated the sata port (if), not the firmware on the SSD...

I don't believe it killed the drive directly. Wrecking a onboard RAID setup makes sense (eg: updated SATA controller chip firmware, might not work the same and does not recognize a valid RAID setup on boot up which kills the RAID), but like others have said, it could have been just a coincidence or "the straw that broke the camels back" that caused the drive to fail after the update.

I don't believe it killed the drive directly. Wrecking a onboard RAID setup makes sense (eg: updated SATA controller chip firmware, might not work the same and does not recognize a valid RAID setup on boot up which kills the RAID), but like others have said, it could have been just a coincidence or "the straw that broke the camels back" that caused the drive to fail after the update.

This makes alot more sense in my case. Another note: I won't be updating the bios for this board again. Running the latest 1.40 bios as primary with zero issues aside from my recent one. Still have the 1.30 bios as secondary (back-up).

Back