• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will the Intel i7-4790K work with Indigo Xtreme?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bimbobombo

Hello
I have what is hopefully a quick question. I am trying to get a thermal interface for the intel i7-4790K that I just bought. I would like to get Indigo Xtreme. The problem I have is that when I went to buy it on FrozenCPU I looked in the description and it says that it is not compatible with LGA1150. I apologize if this is a dumb question but I thought that LGA 1150 & 1155 were the same size. Are they just saying this because they want me to buy the new XS? In case your wondering why I don't just buy the XS it's because I will hopefully be installing a liquid cooling system in the coming months and don't want to spend $20 on ETI that I will just have to replace in a little while. Indigo Xtreme is 1/2 the price so it would do I think for those months. The Heat Sink I will be using in the mean time is the Cooler Master V6 GT if that matters any. Has anybody tried using Xtreme? Were there any issues?
Thanks for any help

Enerdyne has determined that the current Indigo Xtreme (IX) model for sockets 1155/6 is incompatible with the new Intel socket 1150 CPUs. Testing has determined that the socket 1155/6 IX excessively overhangs the smaller Haswell Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS), resulting in failed installation and possible alloy leakage.
http://indigo-xtreme.com/news.shtml

But more than just the possibility of leakage, 4790k has paste for tim1 instead of solder, indigo xtreme might lower temps couple degrees over paste, but isnt going to help that much.

I used it on i950 cpu, but too much of a pain for too little gain.

Back