• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting "older" people interested in gaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
As an older people into gaming, think maybe get her to try a puzzle-type game? Iirc...portal was very addicting (never played it myself so really have no idea if it's a puzzle game). Look for something with a quick learning curve curve and a lot of action. Almost thinking maybe a rpg but only if she's already into knights, dragons, etc already.

I am 55. I have been playing PC games since 1995 or so. I have almost 20 years in of PC gaming. I played classics before they were classics. Doom, Wolfenstien, Duke Nukem, Quake 1,2,3, Original Unreal, Tomb Raider, Descent. The list is long. I did not even realize I was to old to do this. Sure sucks to be "Older"

Dammit it took me to long to post this and I crapped my pants again.

I am 55. I have been playing PC games since 1995 or so. I have almost 20 years in of PC gaming. I played classics before they were classics. Doom, Wolfenstien, Duke Nukem, Quake 1,2,3, Original Unreal, Tomb Raider, Descent. The list is long. I did not even realize I was to old to do this. Sure sucks to be "Older"

Dammit it took me to long to post this and I crapped my pants again.

You are a pc gaming veteran. You started when you were 35. People starting gaming in their 10's, 20's, 30's, and then carrying on until their 80's is not unusual. What's unusual is getting someone into gaming when they are already over 50.

My mother is an addict of such ipad games as Candy Crush, Pearl's Peril, and Words with Friends. I've been trying to convince her to play real games on a desktop or laptop (both of which are available in the house) for years now. Finally, I got her interested in something - The sims 4. I sat down with her and explained everything and she totally got the concept and played for over 3 hours straight. She still prefers her iPad but I'm thinking if I can get her to put in a few sessions of Sims and get her own family advanced in the game, she'll be hooked. She was giddy over such concepts as designing your own sim and house, and buying furnishings.

Fingers crossed. She's 58 btw.
puzzle games would be fun for her abnd help increase the size of specific important parts of the brain. the part of the brain im speaking of shrinks 2% a year after 50. also get her into exercise.

also exercise helps GROW that part of the brain by almost as mjuch as the defficeit which is a difference of 4 %

My mom played Sims 4 again today. We focused a lot on camera controls. When she wants the camera to pan right she actually leans right in her chair it's hilarious. I mentioned it to her and she said "It's like when I used to play Super Marius". Super Marius... rofl.

My mom played Sims 4 again today. We focused a lot on camera controls. When she wants the camera to pan right she actually leans right in her chair it's hilarious. I mentioned it to her and she said "It's like when I used to play Super Marius". Super Marius... rofl.
Too funny... like those that turn their hands and/or bodies when playing console games with a controller. :)

I started back in the early 90s with Silent Service and Flight Simulator, later playing Wolfenstein. Before that numerous games on my Commodore 64.

These days, since I'm 64 and a former private pilot, I only play Flight Sim 9 & 10, since that's where my heart resides. I noticed, about 10 years ago, that my reflexes were slowing down and the challenging (for the day) shoot-'em-up games became more difficult than I wanted. So, these days I like nice "sedate" games. I still play Sim City 2000 and 3000 (yeah, older than the hills, like me).

With so many games available, anyone, regardless of age, can find something that's fun, interesting, and as challenging as needed. No matter the game, they can be quite an enjoyable pastime.

Too funny... like those that turn their hands and/or bodies when playing console games with a controller. :)

Hey , now! I resemble that remark! You should see me do an Immelman playing World Of Warplanes. Almost fell off the damn couch in a dive recently. :thup:
Maybe it's an old folks thing. LOL

If she's going to waste 4-5 hours per day on games, she might as well spend that time on games that are actually engaging and require forethought and planning. She mostly plays words with friends now and she doesn't even come up with the words herself, she puts her letters into a "cheat" program and it makes words for her. At least with the sims she has to think and plan. Plus it's something we can do together, of which there are few other things.

Why do you have six cell phones? (in your sig)

Its only 5 ( N7 is a tablet) and its because I haven't sold the N4 and i5 yet.

Back