• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cya later Android!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nechen

Well the time has come. I've been trying to love Android since it's inception (I still remember how positively giddy I was when I unboxed my smexy bronze G1.)

Such a thing was not meant to last, while Android does hold a huge market share, it also present on every mobile device out there today (I'd mention Windows Mobile or whatever they might be calling it now days but I see no reason to.)

Maybe I was tired of the painfully :facepalm: 'tastic overlays that Samsung, HTC, and every other halfbaked company out there would make so as to give it it's own unique signature (I assume because all of these companies want to 'be' Apple but simply never will.) Or maybe I was tired of this:
http://files.tested.com/uploads/0/1507/13393-android_force_close.jpg

or maybe this?
http://www.vexite.com/images/2011/12/Android-Market-Error.jpg

now you gotta get yourself some of this!
http://0xab.com/images/android-crash.png

Now you might be reading this and saying "Nechen, you dastardly handsome devil, Apple has it's flaws too!" and you would be right. Between overpriced accessories and very bizarre business practices such as booting devs from the App Store and screwing over consumers with their book prices they are far from perfect.

HOWEVER, they managed to accomplish what any self respecting businessman does in this world. They ripped off Linux/Unix, stole every concept from the OpenSource community, and labeled it as it's own!

Now, let's put aside the fact that there's over 100 phones out there ranging from 512Mhz to 1.5Ghz in raw CPU speed and even crazier amounts of RAMs and display sizes. We're going to travel down software lane and compare what's available on any Android device to iOS, we'll start with games for this example and just list, say, the Top 10 for each respective market (not that I really care about gaming on a friggin' phone.)

Android:
1.) Cut the rope
2.) Draw something
3.) Where's my water?
4.) Angry Birds: Space
5.) Rebuild
6.) Temple Run
7:) Minecraft - Pocket Edition
8.) Fruit Ninja
9.) N.O.V.A 3
10.) GTA III

iOS:
1.) Plague Inc
2.) Angry Birds Space
3.) Minecraft - Pocket Adition
4.) Fruit Ninja
5.) Bejeweled
6.) Life (Wtf?)
7.) Plants vs Zombies
8.) Draw Something
9.) RealMyst
10.) NBA Jam

Now side, by side, these OS's seem to offer similar games if you go by the Top Paid for each operating system. Most of which are mindless point and click or flick and click ETC...

However, after delving deeper into the Android Marketplace you'll come to find that every other game PAST the "Top Paid" are just clones and reiterations of the same thing over, and over again. 2D City Sims, flick the bird at the stuff, or every other basic genre you can think of.

Now that I have an iPhone 4S in my hands, I start to dig past #11 and find awesome looking games like Shadowgun, Call of Duty: Zombies, BF:BC2 (which looks kinda meh), GTA III, Fight Night, Infinity Blade, EVEN MASS EFFECT!

Now, I will admit, I've yet to "pay" for an app yet as there seems to be a depressingly low amount of publishers that release a free or lite version with ads...it seems that Apple has their customers very well trained in accessorizing for $0.99.

But, but, what about TEGRA?!

Ah, yes, let's check out my favorite GPU company out there:
http://www.tegrazone.com/

How many games do you see on here that you won't find on both the iPhone or iPad? Oh wait, there's only 25 games on the TegraZone at the time of this post. However, it seems that Acer is in the process of making a 1920x1200 tablet for only ... $50 less than the iPad? http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/13/acer-iconia-tab-a700-1920-x-1200-display-and-tegra-3/

Let's face it gents, not nearly as many companies produce software for Android as they do for iOS, do a quick google search but you'll be amazed at how many devs post how little money they make posting the same exact app on Android that they already had on iOS. And lets not forget from a development standpoint, you have to count for DOZENS of different displays, RAM and CPU configs, and most phones like Samsung have their own custom APIs required just to code for the bloody thing.

Now I'm no expert in "programming" but from my understand all apps run inside a Java VM? (Davlik I believe it's called.) And from what I've been told, Java isn't really the go-to language when you want speed and stability. How did Google and the Android Consortium fail to take something beautiful like Linux and screw it up so bad? :confused: :confused:

Now if we move on to Hardware, I can say with certainty that my G1 was a BEAST and still works to this day (I have it hooked up to the stereo built into my toolchest in the garage.) BUT I decided back near the end of 2010 to get myself a Droid Incredible and get a Droid2 Global for the GF.

Only a year and a half later we have a Droid2 that can only make/receive calls with the speakerphone. Combine this with an UGLY, UGLY screen and awful camera we're about ready to chuck it out the window. I will say though, HTC put a helluva display in my Incredible. It's too bad I had to flash CM 7 to it just so to have a functioning piece of hardware.

I guess in the end it really doesn't matter, I just wanted so hard for Linux to succeed for once but it seems that as usual, we were almost there. Close, but no cigar :(

Hopefully this phone will work better for me, although I'm looking down at it right now wondering how many pre-adolescent Chinese kids died making this one...

there is way more tegra games then just 25 the ones in tegra zone are just tegra3 games and considering that processor just came out not to long ago its not that bad,i got myself the asus prime with tegra 3 and the THD games are fantastic,i do like apple products to but hate the company with there crazy prices,heck they will charge you $400 for 8 gigs of ram you could buy yourself for $50 and they wont even give you the good ram lol.

Yeah I can't argue with you there, I'm just sick of the Android phones.

Also, I'm just going off Nvidia's TEGRA site...where do you see more games?

http://www.tegrazone.com/games

BTW Tegra been's out for a long time now...

Last edited:
This has been my experience, I've had an iPod TouchType, iPad, and an Android phone (Droid Charge).

iOS, the lack of customization just bothered me. It was too locked down. And once I configured it to work the way I wanted it to by jailbreaking, I frequently crashed, all from lack of RAM.

Android, more customization out of the box, but same issue with me just using it above the specs. So then came a custom ROM, custom kernel, ovetclocked, undrrvolted, and a custom memory manager. Only then did I get an experience I was happy with.

All in all, I didn't like either, but at least with Android I had the freedom to fix it.

honestly.... i have never had any issues with android... yes a few quirks here and there and maybe a crashed app... but the crashed app was usually due to my own doing (wether it be a bad oc or to agressive of settings).

I had an LG p500... i ran cyanogenmod 7 on it and the little low end phone was an awesome entry into the android world.

I now have a nexus s, that gets android updates straight from google and has an even bigger dev base and the rom i am on is rock solid stable.

Android is a lil quirky but you gotta find the right combo of rom and kernel to truly have the right expierence.

IOS is nice... super buttery smooth but lacks customization.

And i have been told windows phone is even more buttery smooth than iOS and offers a little more customization.

Also on an inc. Your feedback is credible, and your writing entertaining.

I am on my 4th inc. Lost the first. 2nd died. 3rd DOA. 4th ok, but crashes a few times a week. paid for asurion insurance, 7 bucks every month for about 16 months now. 200 dollars for twice when I needed replacement phones. One of the times it took them sending 2 phones before I had one that worked.

I have ran custom roms to try to give the device and Android a fair shake... Now on stock Rom, to ensure it wasn't customization causing problems. Still marginally stable. Very few choices for good exchange support on Android, default choice has poor email search... It's a Google based device. Suckage.

I'm a Linux guy. Embrace open source. I like new shiny things. Feel like I'm squarely in their target market. Not very excited about how a year and a half on Android went.

My next phone will be the nicest device I can get on a no contract plan, with pay as you go minutes, hopefully a 2gb/month data allowance or something. Don't care what it is, so long as the display is nice and I get internet service most places for a reasonable rate... I don't feel like an Apple device has this option, so I will probably be on Android still, but only because other options are not good, suck even more, or are far more expensive than the 20 minutes a month I talk on my cell phone.

Last edited:
never really had any of these issues with mine except for the factory data reset and not having an image to load from but that was partly to do from a clock work mod i had done

i havent had a problem with android and neither has my wife... it is unfortunate to hear of such things. We had the original G1, I have an LG Shine Plus and she has a Nexus S. My next phone is going to be the padfone I think. Overall we are quite satisfied with our Android experience

Hmph. Strange. I am thinking about transitioning from my iPhone 4 to Andriod 5.0 whenever it comes out...

I see it like this: iOS made a very beautiful thing, hell, Android wouldn't have existed if iOS didn't. The beginning was an awesome ride. Smooth interface, intuitive, and fresh. Everybody knows how to operate an iPod or an iPhone, regardless if they had one or not, it was just common knowledge. Then came along Android. ****ty as ever. But they made huge improvements. MUCH bigger improvments in a very short amount of time.

I adore my jailbroken iPhone 4, it has become everything I wanted it to be. Its just a completely different beast when its jailbroken. But Apple doesn't want to follow, it wants to lead, even if that means that it goes down a darker path. For instance. iOS6 + iPhone 5. You would expect that iOS6 would have widgets by now. But no. They don't. I was waiting for (and kind of still am) the iPhone 5 to make my final decision whether I jump boat to Android or stick around as a fruit carrier.

Android is the future. iOS is now playing catchup with Android. The only problem I have with Android that only a handful of flagship devices will get the next big update. Besides that, if you have 2.3, your stuck with 2.3. Apple STILL supports the iPhone 3GS with iOS 6. 3 generations of iPhone will happen when iOS 6 is released, but they still haven't forgotten about the past. This is the MAJOR problem I have with Android.

I shall wait. If the iPhone 5 is something to rant about, then yay. If not, then I'll wait for Android 5.0 to come out and I'm out.

No problems with mine either. There us little to no chance of me ever buying an apple product. Not because of any silly bias that some have, but simply because i don't want to pop the apple cherry and go all in on the apple machine (think urines and all the other cool stuff they have)

I can say that in my use of android based products its has not been a perfect record by any means but it has came along way from the memory leakage and dozens of other problems it had when it first came out.

Yes some android programs still crash and cause shutdowns and some devices do fail but not all users have those problems (depending on brand Motorola and HTC being the worst with Samsung seeming to be the best IMO) but the grass is not so green on the other side as you think it is or appears to be. (not to feed the troll)

Now iphone's, apple products in general, have thier own lists of problems. Such as home buttons not working, (any device w/ a home button ipad, iphone etc.) Iphone 4's dropping calls when first realeased if it was held a certain way, Iphone 4's/3's having reduced battery time that had to be patched when updated to iOS5, no sound on outgoing calls on iphone 4's, and a slew of other problems ( pricing excluded ) that are happening to many users of these devices just take a look at the official apple forums.

Now, to sum it up, with a half a dozen or so companies producing several different devices that run android that isn't even thier own OS having some problems I will buy that its just going to happen every so often. But to be fair enough on the other side of that coin it would be equaly fair to say a single company that is making its own 1-2 devices for its own OS wouldn't have problems. But they do and no matter the manufacturer of any device or OS there is going to be that 1-2% that is unaccounted for in quality control or quality of design. Don't get me wrong I like both Apple and Android based products they are for and meet the needs of totally different kinds of people/consumers. My mother and sister have iphones good for them its easy to use and they really dont do much other than making phone calls. Myself I have been though 3 android phones and want a phone I can totally customize and use for just about anything I want need it to do. Hopefully your phone choice will work out for you trouble free as we all want all of our devices to be.:thup:

Yeah I can't argue with you there, I'm just sick of the Android phones.

Also, I'm just going off Nvidia's TEGRA site...where do you see more games?

http://www.tegrazone.com/games

BTW Tegra been's out for a long time now...

yea tegra 1 and 2 have been out for awhile but tegra 3 hasn't been out to long and they only list tegra3 games on tegra zone even tho tegra 2 games look great also and run great on tegra 3=)

You would expect that iOS6 would have widgets by now. But no. They don't. I was waiting for (and kind of still am) the iPhone 5 to make my final decision whether I jump boat to Android or stick around as a fruit carrier.

I'm really not sure what you want in a "widget". Obscene waste of resources so you can watch a little speedometer move left and right when you use the CPU a little? You can use anything from pop ups to banners for notifications, and the pull down "dashboard" has this information in a quickly accessible format.

I used to jailbreak just to get access to these special customizations, quickaccess, etc. I find myself needing a jailbreak less and less. Now if only I could get App store Emulators :clap:
I guess in the end it really doesn't matter, I just wanted so hard for Linux to succeed for once but it seems that as usual, we were almost there. Close, but no cigar

OP: Welcome to the dark side.. :borg:

Consider jailbreaking if you want that Unix vibe back. It's a mini OS X. Install OpenSSH, and terminal in to your hearts content. You can side load apps too- dpkg -i still works when jailbroken. :)

I think phones just need to get replaced every year instead of every 2 years. They get used and abused more then any device I have. Every new iteration of a cell phone I have gotten has been an improvement.

I didn't think Android was acceptable until Gingerbread, so I have had iphones till we got a GS2 last year. Thats still a great phone. Our 2 Iphone 4's are still great as well.

and I currently use a Google Galaxy Nexus and its been great, but it's only a few months old. The iphone for me has an incurable defect...the small screen. So I'm off it for good.

My daughters eyes are great though and I'll keep her on them. There are just a lot of great phones out there. Maybe a lot of lemons too. I have just been lucky enough or chose wisely enough not to get them. So our family straddles the line between Android and Apple.

I have been able to replace all my iphone Apps with an equivalent on Android. I can't game on the little screen so games are out for me.

A list of my Apps on both platforms:

Android/ios
Drive/icloud(I never used)
Navigation/? Maps (I would use my Garmin)
Latitude/Latitude
Teamviewer/Logmein or Teamviewer
Skype/Skype
Google voice/Visual voice mail
TextPlus/TextPlus
Flashlight/Flashlight
Pandora/Pandora
Tunein Radio/Tunein Radio
Playmusic/itunes or imatch(I never used)
Espn/Espn
97.5 Fanatic/97.5 Fanatic
Sportacular/Sportacular
At bat/At bat
Netflix/Netflix
Ustream/Ustream
Youtube/Youtube
Chrome/Safari
Engadget/Engadget
Currents/?
Usa Today/Usa Today
AP Mobile/AP Mobile
Open Sudoku/Sudoku

and my favorite and most used in 14 hour drives everyday.
Podcast App.
Doggcatcher/Downcast

Bluetooth is suberb on either iphone or Galaxy Nexus, just comes down to whether your radio supports it.
Clarion CZ501 in the Peterbilt.
Axxera XDMA7800 in the Grand Cherokee.

Last edited:
While Tegra is over-hyped, I've never had a problem with my G2x (uses a Tegra 2 chip). I've used custom GB and ICS ROMs, and not had issues with any of them. I think your problem is more likely to originate from crappy hardware than from the Android software.

I paid a few dollars for "CPU Master Pro", and my phone is overclocked and undervolted :)

yea its pretty hard to compare iOS that is made for one product to android that works on 100's.im actually amazed at how well it works considering all the different products it goes into.

I have been pretty happy with my Android phones, first the Motorola Droid (Original) and now the Motorola Bionic. I rarely have an issues happen with my phone. I have ran customer roms, but I am currently on stock.

Not all android phones are created equal, there are definitely some that are better than others. I personally would never get an iPhone due to the issues the device has and the weak antenna it has compared to other phones. As far as OS its just not quite customizable enough for me.

My general opinion on the matter is get what works for you, whether it be iOS, Android or Windows Mobile.

Still using my first Android phone (Samsung Galaxy S), witha custom ICS build on it now. I love it. I will never use some locked down tyrannical overhyped OS-infused phone :p

I get app crashes once in a while, but I don't mind that. I have this quirk that makes me feel 'assured' when it does happen. Its like I am glad the software isn't perfect. Call me crazy.

I am looking forward to upgrading in a year, perhaps the SGS III, although I am hearing that the screen isn't as good as everyone expected it to be.

Back