• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cya later Android!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well I think the trend I'm seeing with android is "I love this phone, I have [custom ROM name here] running on it!

Props to Cyanogen working purely off donations but my point is that all these phones blow without a ROM which I find ludicrous

Well I think the trend I'm seeing with android is "I love this phone, I have [custom ROM name here] running on it!

Props to Cyanogen working purely off donations but my point is that all these phones blow without a ROM which I find ludicrous

That's an unavoidable negative side effect of open software. Clueless managers will demand that their developers (who might also be less than competent) screw around without care for performance or stability, while Apple has pretty much complete control over the software. Apple produces a lot of software, so they're guaranteed to have competent developers. Phone carriers who don't really have much software development, especially not software you can buy for your home computer? Not so much competent development staff there.

I couldn't have said it better. Too many n00bs in the android field unfortunately...way too disorganized.

Love the sig BTW :p

I think that is what separates the apple users from the android users (to some extent). Some of us like being able to run our OS of choice... while others dont mind letting the boss propose changes...

I ditched my Android based tab because of minor issues. None of those issues exist on the iPhone/iPad for the same function/content. Just not mature enough and might never be. Apple's got a good head start, the only way they fail is tripping over themselves.

I have been using Android since the original Droid. The only thing holding back Android (in my not so humble opinion) is that the carriers lock down the phone and then never release updates for it. I own the Bionic. ICS was supposed to be released a few weeks to a month after release, so I got it. I've had it for far longer than that and it is just now hitting an unreleased beta stage.

thumbnail.aspx

I have been using Android since the original Droid. The only thing holding back Android (in my not so humble opinion) is that the carriers lock down the phone and then never release updates for it. I own the Bionic. ICS was supposed to be released a few weeks to a month after release, so I got it. I've had it for far longer than that and it is just now hitting an unreleased beta stage.

THIS is one of the main problems facing us here in America. In general the rest of the world always gets updates months, even quarters ahead of us because they get the stock phones not some carrier branded phone. A lot of people think if Samsung can keep the carriers out like they have with the SGIII, then thngs will start changing. Google as pushed for this more European/World style of phone, where manufacturers makes the phone and carrier just sell plans.

That is also one reason cyanogen and custom roms have taken off so large in Android land. Just being able to get the update you were promised months before hand, or upgrades you were never suppose to get at all. Thus why I run cm9 on my heroc from 2009. My phone was abandon and barely got 2.1. However through the wonderful community at XDA we've kept it going until ICS. Our only true problem is the lack of ics drivers for our hardware. We've got a 2.6.35 kernel but with the framework changes in ICS things like the camera didn't work until someone wrote a conversion for the bitmaps.

I've never really run into any issue with my phone except in three cases. 1) Running the stock rom, 1.5 was okay but very slow. 2) Living on the edge and installing new roms/ports aka 2.2 and 2.3 and 4.0.1 when first released. All had issue until the community smoothed things out. 3) Errors with miscellaneous applications which have armv6 problems. Flash, skype (with force video calls), etc. Armv7 apps which people override to allow on armv6 and they usually always fail.

I'm a bit biased against Apple and iOS/OS X as I don't like the way they've taken from the open source community (bsd) and make it seem like it's their own. However I'm not a zealot fan boy, by an means. I defiantly see how iOS revolutionized smartphones, and even the changes between Milestone 2 and 3 for Android. Apple does a lot of good along with the bad. A lot of the problems android faces which have been highlighted in this thread breaks down to Apple being the sole software and hardware manufacturer and In android land there are many manufacturers, software makers and then further carrier "optimizations".

I don't think that's quite true. I have a Samsung SGS2 (SCH-R760 which is U.S. Cellular). I have the phone rooted, but no custom roms on it. The phone is head and shoulders faster and more efficient than any phone I've ever used before (includes lower end froyo android phones as well as the Iphone 4S). It's been said before in this thread that Samsung phones seem to be the most stable, and I can definitely agree with that. In the past 2 months, I've had this phone on ICS, and I actually came back to the stock rom because it was so much more stable. I'm a believer that Android (google) is doing it correctly. Even though I haven't had issues with my phone, I would gladly deal with multiple crashes per day rather than stuff the pockets of the idea stealing developers at Apple. :chair:

With that said, I want to commend everyone who posted with this thread. I read through it this morning and I must say, this has been one of the most calm threads I've seen that deals with such a "fan boy" topic. :clap:

Well the time has come. I've been trying to love Android since....
Android does have its flaws (apps crashing n whatnot), but that's because 10+ cellphone brands use it at the same time making hundred of android-based cells...
It has to be re-configured for every specific phone, thus its buggy.
Things come easy to Apple, because they've made like what... 6 phones so far?
iOS itself didn't change THAT much since its initial release on the 1st gen iPhone, which doesn't justify all the billions Apple has. :shrug:
Sure, they've added multitasking, changed a couple of icons and added robotic voices that you have to pay for, but is this really anything new?

I'm a bit biased against Apple and iOS/OS X as I don't like the way they've taken from the open source community (bsd) and make it seem like it's their own. However I'm not a zealot fan boy, by an means. I defiantly see how iOS revolutionized smartphones, and even the changes between Milestone 2 and 3 for Android. Apple does a lot of good along with the bad.

Isn't OS X essentially a really well implemented BSD distribution? :thup:

IMO when I think of why software/OS's are open source, I think of "for the betterment of everyone"; Take something someone has done, and adapt it to do something else, or improve on whats been done.

Granted Apple monetizes OS X(which seems to really be the only complaint Linux users provide), they also offer it at extremely low prices. With how effectively apple goes after "hackintoshes", Apple sees the value and doesn't impede it, and you know they very quickly could. It nothing but helps a company that is confident in its products. Similar to Adobe and Photoshop. That view could change, given a microsoft level of market share, but until it does, they're still very much in the green IMO.

I gladly ordered a retina Macbook Pro, yes theres a premium, but for the utility of Linux and production quality of Apple, I just can't come up with any reason to waste time fixing linux's shortfalls when I could be actually using my computer :bday:

To those that are curious[Developers], Apple certainly doesn't try to hide its open source roots :cool: http://opensource.apple.com/

As someone trying to learn various languages, I'm still learning so much about how well designed OS X really can be; They include Python and Ruby, for example! On windows you have to download extra stuff to get that, instead of being able to use it OOTB. I don't think my OS X terminal has been closed for a few months now.

I can say this, We both have a iphone 4s, Partner has a 1pad 1 32gig 3g, I have a kindle Fire. Some days I'm ready to toss my Kindle fire out the window with even pictures failing to load, or movies not being able to be played. I'm on my second one, I had one crash, powered it off and it got corrupted, I had to sent it to Amazon to get a replacement.
Apple has replaced my iPhone 4s when I dropped it and spider webbed the screen since it was in it's 1yr warranty. I just hope the rumors are not true that the Iphone 5 will have a different connector to charge/synch. it's nice Having 10 chargers. I had a 4gig ipod years ago, I use that cable, a radio I got works with the Iphone. I just like the fact when i upgrade to a new Iphone, everything I have works, apps, chargers, radio's etc.. Apple did a good thing there Ipods, Ipads, Iphone use the same connector.
Before Iphone I had 3 different Motorola Razer phones, each one used a different charger.

I can say this, We both have a iphone 4s, Partner has a 1pad 1 32gig 3g, I have a kindle Fire. Some days I'm ready to toss my Kindle fire out the window with even pictures failing to load, or movies not being able to be played. I'm on my second one, I had one crash, powered it off and it got corrupted, I had to sent it to Amazon to get a replacement.
Apple has replaced my iPhone 4s when I dropped it and spider webbed the screen since it was in it's 1yr warranty. I just hope the rumors are not true that the Iphone 5 will have a different connector to charge/synch. it's nice Having 10 chargers. I had a 4gig ipod years ago, I use that cable, a radio I got works with the Iphone. I just like the fact when i upgrade to a new Iphone, everything I have works, apps, chargers, radio's etc.. Apple did a good thing there Ipods, Ipads, Iphone use the same connector.
Before Iphone I had 3 different Motorola Razer phones, each one used a different charger.

i think thats just the kindle fires fault its a horrible piece of equipment im yet to find a single person who owns one who actually likes it.
at-least the regular kindle is good for reading from what i hear the fire is ok for most things but good at non of them.

yea im sure the iphone5 will have a new port on it or at least change the wiring in the current one. they do it so everyone has to buy new accessory's they wouldn't want anyone being able to reuse there old parts it would cut into there profits,its why i stopped buying anything with ipad docks as they never work on the next gen ipod/iphone.

Android does have its flaws (apps crashing n whatnot), but that's because 10+ cellphone brands use it at the same time making hundred of android-based cells...
It has to be re-configured for every specific phone, thus its buggy.
Things come easy to Apple, because they've made like what... 6 phones so far?
iOS itself didn't change THAT much since its initial release on the 1st gen iPhone, which doesn't justify all the billions Apple has. :shrug:
Sure, they've added multitasking, changed a couple of icons and added robotic voices that you have to pay for, but is this really anything new?

Where do I get the robot voices?!?!?!

yea im sure the iphone5 will have a new port on it or at least change the wiring in the current one. they do it so everyone has to buy new accessory's they wouldn't want anyone being able to reuse there old parts it would cut into there profits,its why i stopped buying anything with ipad docks as they never work on the next gen ipod/iphone.

I really dislike this generalization. There are often times, many legitimate engineering reasons things change. It's up to the company to ease the transition whenever it does. Most companies just really don't care, because people buy stuff regardless.

Random rumors like the iPhone port where they get exaggerated until people are just flipping out and generalizing "omg im not buying anymore apple stuff blah blah blah blah" when not only has it not yet been done, but they don't know what else is changing. Ivybridge is another perfect example, there are a lot of people that just run around saying "since ivybridge was a flop...." when its the best CPU Intel has put out yet!

Judge a product when it's released, not on extremely questionable rumors. :thup:

And TBH, I don't think apple will flat out drop the dock without a good plan; There are a LOT of cars and various other things available, and they know this. They have a certification program! Not to mention the recent Siri integration. Apple has an excellent track record of listening to its users wants/needs.

I was debating Android vs iPhone yesterday as I was about to either replace my broke iPhone 4. I found a perfect condition Galaxy Nexus S on craigslist for $215. I was intrigued, so I asked 2 of my co-workers to show me theirs. ICS is awesome no doubt, but for some reason, I still wanted an iPhone. Mostly because I dont want to be stuck with ICS for life, and I didn't really know the sound output quality either (a pair of $150 headphones only go as far as the hardware its on) so I bought the more expensive $250 16gb iPhone 4. Whats interesting is the dude I got the phone from was selling the 4 because he had just bought the Galaxy S3!

Now here I am jailbroken, adoring my iPhone, happy knowing I made the right decision.

I was debating Android vs iPhone yesterday as I was about to either replace my broke iPhone 4. I found a perfect condition Galaxy Nexus S on craigslist for $215. I was intrigued, so I asked 2 of my co-workers to show me theirs. ICS is awesome no doubt, but for some reason, I still wanted an iPhone. Mostly because I dont want to be stuck with ICS for life, and I didn't really know the sound output quality either (a pair of $150 headphones only go as far as the hardware its on) so I bought the more expensive $250 16gb iPhone 4. Whats interesting is the dude I got the phone from was selling the 4 because he had just bought the Galaxy S3!

Now here I am jailbroken, adoring my iPhone, happy knowing I made the right decision.

I think I may know who you bought that from :rofl:

Small world.

EDIT: Nevermind, not him. Hes doing the same thing though. He doesn't know why, I think hes just bored!

The Galaxy S family of phones (only the S, not the SII or SIII) has a Wolfson DAC that rivals, if not beats the iPhone. Especially if you're rooted with a custom kernel, you can get custom written drivers for it called Voodoo Sound to further tune it.

Back