• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cya later Android!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Im on AT&T and plan on sticking with it because of my unlimited data, so no Droid products for me. I tried the GS3 in store, and found it way to cumbersome to use one handed, which is how ive used phones for the past 10 years. Then again it did have that bulky security device on it which made it impossible to actually feel what really be like. Im really drawn toward the Sony TL for some reason though

There's the HTC One S on AT&T.

LZ, have you looked at the Note II? Monster 5.5" screen (too large for my tastes but might me good for you).

If you have a phone with a built in battery, what do you do when the phone freezes and is unresponsive to holding the power button down? Leave it until the battery dies?

If you have a phone with a built in battery, what do you do when the phone freezes and is unresponsive to holding the power button down? Leave it until the battery dies?

On an iPhone you hold the power and home button down for a few seconds and it hard resets it, just like a computer

LZ, have you looked at the Note II? Monster 5.5" screen (too large for my tastes but might me good for you).

I did check out the Note II and it seems like a good device I could probably use, but in the end decided that since the phone will be with me all the time I'd rather it be small. I'm surrounded by computers all day every day so internet use isn't a problem at home or work, but if I want to have usable internet somewhere away from a computer I can just take the Nexus 7 with me and tether. That way I have a choice whether to carry a big device with a big screen or not.

You guys are lucky...I'm stuck with this crappy Samsung "flight II" no android, no Ios...everything takes multiple clicks or button pushes, and everything stays open, like when you make a call from your address book, the book stays open..it has these annoying popup notices when you miss a call, you have to jump through hoops to get rid of the popups.
My previous not so smart phone was the Chocolate touch, and although not a smart phone, it was still more intuitive than the flight II. I think they named this phone correctly, as I have wanted to teach it to fly on more than 1 occasion.
My only reason to have ANY smart phone is to take advantage of the free wifi at most coffee houses and Mickey D's.

Nexus 4 here. I haven't had it hard lock yet. I wondered the same thing tho, because on my dinc2 pulling the battery was often the only way out of some lockups.

Problems with Nexus 4/10/7:

4: best quad-core according to all benchmarks I've seen
7: wimpy quad-core, second worst in most benchmarks
10: dual-core

Why is the weakest system in the device with the super-hi-res screen, and the strongest in the one with the lowest-res screen?

Second, the idea that SD storage is is somehow confusing is utter BS. The people buying Nexus devices are the people who care about frequent software updates and high end hardware. SD storage doesn't confuse these people. They'd have a purchaser of devices straight from them, where they probably get the biggest cut of money, if only they didn't have this stupid "storage is bad" idea.

I've used all sorts of phones and devices with different OS, I keep going back to Android. HTC seems to be the best brand, I've had Motorola, LG and Samsung and I always turn to HTC. I'm using an HTC One X right now, feels more solid than the ever popular Galaxy S2 & S3.

I would never buy another HTC because of how they were in the past, every time i picked up a smart phone HTC, it end up being junk, im sure they are ok now but why take that chance.

Problems with Nexus 4/10/7:

4: best quad-core according to all benchmarks I've seen
7: wimpy quad-core, second worst in most benchmarks
10: dual-core

Why is the weakest system in the device with the super-hi-res screen, and the strongest in the one with the lowest-res screen?

Second, the idea that SD storage is is somehow confusing is utter BS. The people buying Nexus devices are the people who care about frequent software updates and high end hardware. SD storage doesn't confuse these people. They'd have a purchaser of devices straight from them, where they probably get the biggest cut of money, if only they didn't have this stupid "storage is bad" idea.
they dont put SD storage on it because they want you to just use the cloud!
between my phone, and my tablet(Samsung Galaxy S3, and 16GB Nexus 7), i have ~32GB of built in storage, and then close to 60GB of cloud storage available to me through dropbox, and google drive, etc. i also have 32 gig sd card in my phone, but i'm not even close to filling up the phone storage yet, and i have around 9 gigs of free space on the tablet, so the sd card sits empty, and google drive sits virtually empty, and all dropbox has on it is the pictures and videos i take on my phone and tablet, as they auto sync with dropbox

they dont put SD storage on it because they want you to just use the cloud!
between my phone, and my tablet(Samsung Galaxy S3, and 16GB Nexus 7), i have ~32GB of built in storage, and then close to 60GB of cloud storage available to me through dropbox, and google drive, etc. i also have 32 gig sd card in my phone, but i'm not even close to filling up the phone storage yet, and i have around 9 gigs of free space on the tablet, so the sd card sits empty, and google drive sits virtually empty, and all dropbox has on it is the pictures and videos i take on my phone and tablet, as they auto sync with dropbox

The "cloud" that practically every ISP makes unusable due to either hideously low caps or pitiful speeds (that aren't available at all in the middle of nowhere anyway because there's no network)? The "cloud" that doesn't offer enough space for me to store my data without paying them? The "cloud" that wants me to trust them to not lose or misuse my data, when I can just store it myself? Hmm... How about, NO.

The "cloud" that practically every ISP makes unusable due to either hideously low caps or pitiful speeds (that aren't available at all in the middle of nowhere anyway because there's no network)? The "cloud" that doesn't offer enough space for me to store my data without paying them? The "cloud" that wants me to trust them to not lose or misuse my data, when I can just store it myself? Hmm... How about, NO.

i dont pay a penny for any of my 60GB of cloud storage...
and its just your phone/tablet, how much important data are you really saving to them? just save the important **** to the phone.
i'll admit, it isnt the most convenient, but really, how much stuff do you need to be having on your phone at all times? if its that important, get a USB OTG adaptor, and plug a flash drive in.

In order to get better battery life on my phone, I have the mobile data disconnected 90% of the time (the only time I use it is when I NEED to look something up, or when I'm at my dad's house because my 3g is faster than their DSL wifi). That said, accessing the cloud would be a pain for me, and would cut down on my battery life from having to stream over 3g. If I was at home and using wifi (lower power), I would just transfer it to my device. So the cloud, like Petteyg, serves me no purpose at all.

Back