• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Card dying or something else?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Alright.
Heard back from Wtcr.ca. They are saying that I have to contact Sapphire directly for RMA.
Looks like I'm digging around for an RMA ticket or something on Sapphire's website.

Also Sapphire's site says I don't get warranty if I buy from a non approved re seller or distributor. Their list of "Where to buy" only has a handful of stores for Canada. Did I just screw myself?

I bought two sapphire 280x from wtcr, one for me, one for my buddy, my buddy's card bricked while mining, and sapphire honored the warrantee, however, it did have a 2.5 or 3 month turn around time, and horrible communication with him about it.

I bought two sapphire 280x from wtcr, one for me, one for my buddy, my buddy's card bricked while mining, and sapphire honored the warrantee, however, it did have a 2.5 or 3 month turn around time, and horrible communication with him about it.

That's not what I wanted to hear. :(
That's a long time to go with only 1 GPU to game and fold on...

However, I'm glad you brought this thread back up.
I just saw similar patches of glitch while browsing on Dragoncave.
Thing is, my 7850 is driving the monitor. The 270x is just folding away like it has non stop for the past 3 days.

So either both cards are now dying, or their overclocks are too great for them to handle all of a sudden.
Might it be the drivers? Everytime I boot up, CCC complains that amdmantle.dll and amdmantle64.dll is corrupt or not for this system, or has an error in it. But everything works as it should - minus the glitches once in a blue moon.

EDIT: Something is seriously wrong. I just lost video output from the 7850 after it freaked out and made the entire screen flash like mad. Last time I saw this was when I was mining.... Hopefully a reboot fixes this.

EDIT2: Entire rig just shutdown after reboot. No BSOD no nothing... I'm folding on the 270x and cpu without any OC on the 270x... Playing Diablo II fine for now... Wth is going on? WHEA errors are back as well, though not too often...

Last edited:
How old is that CoolerMaster now?

2-3 years old.

I was thinking that it might be the culprit... :(
My dad... hid his multimeter on me so I can't even verify the voltages :bang head

I checked the ATX mobo connectors - no scorched marks or anything so that's good to know.
Think it's time to ditch the coolermaster? It still has warranty I think, but that means how long without a rig? Nuh uh.

Well those types of shut downs are usually power related. You could teat the cards seperately and maybe find that the 7850 is having an issue. I'd ask your dad about that DMM and have a looksey. You might be down for a while waiting on a PSU but it's better than losing the whole rig to a blow out silver.

Well those types of shut downs are usually power related. You could teat the cards seperately and maybe find that the 7850 is having an issue. I'd ask your dad about that DMM and have a looksey. You might be down for a while waiting on a PSU but it's better than losing the whole rig to a blow out silver.

That's true.

I'm having some other simple but proving-to-be-hard-to-fix issues with the OS as well.
I think it's time for a fresh install.

If the voltages are whacky, what's a good PSU? Supernova G2 850? Might be overkill :p
But, if they are in check... I dunno. Wait till after the fresh install??

Either the SuperNova G2 750 or 850 would be more than enough for you.
I wouldn't recommend anything else, personally. 10 year warranty and crystal clear reviews from OW?

Let's just say that EarthDog put one of the 750's through its.... paces.
OC'd 4930K and OC'd 295X2, on a custom loop. He read somewhere in the realm of 960W at the wall, and I think the fan didn't even cut on.

Either the SuperNova G2 750 or 850 would be more than enough for you.
I wouldn't recommend anything else, personally. 10 year warranty and crystal clear reviews from OW?

Let's just say that EarthDog put one of the 750's through its.... paces.
OC'd 4930K and OC'd 295X2, on a custom loop. He read somewhere in the realm of 960W at the wall, and I think the fan didn't even cut on.

Now that's a trusty PSU! WOW that's massive overdraw too.
Well, on the bright side, I fixed my other issues just now. Pesky pesky hidden firewall. :mad:

I'll test the voltages tonight, and well... I'll probably just buy a new PSU anyway.
At least then I can re use this coolermaster for another rig later on. :)

Well, 960 at the wall was around 840 that the PSU was supplying.
Still almost 100W over the rating, he still uses it daily.

I'd just keep the CM for testing if you're ever questioning a PSU ;)

So I measured the voltages.
While folding on both GPU's and 2/4 cores on the CPU I get:

12.24 V
5.16 V
3.38 V

Within spec... hmmm

Healthy voltage doesn't always mean there's clean power though. It could have plenty of noise while a DMM still shows good voltages.

Healthy voltage doesn't always mean there's clean power though. It could have plenty of noise while a DMM still shows good voltages.

And for that I don't have a oscilloscope..

I'll head over to canadacomputers and see what they have.
Or maybe see if newegg has something better since I have my own credit card now.

What better way to break in a new card eh? :D

That's not what I wanted to hear. :(
That's a long time to go with only 1 GPU to game and fold on...

However, I'm glad you brought this thread back up.
I just saw similar patches of glitch while browsing on Dragoncave.
Thing is, my 7850 is driving the monitor. The 270x is just folding away like it has non stop for the past 3 days.

So either both cards are now dying, or their overclocks are too great for them to handle all of a sudden.
Might it be the drivers? Everytime I boot up, CCC complains that amdmantle.dll and amdmantle64.dll is corrupt or not for this system, or has an error in it. But everything works as it should - minus the glitches once in a blue moon.

EDIT: Something is seriously wrong. I just lost video output from the 7850 after it freaked out and made the entire screen flash like mad. Last time I saw this was when I was mining.... Hopefully a reboot fixes this.

EDIT2: Entire rig just shutdown after reboot. No BSOD no nothing... I'm folding on the 270x and cpu without any OC on the 270x... Playing Diablo II fine for now... Wth is going on? WHEA errors are back as well, though not too often...

hey, at least it means that you arent screwed, and you do have a warranty!
and that actually sounds similar to what my rig was doing when i had both my 280x in it, or both my 4890's in it...
would get random glitches like that, but i think it actually ended up being the mobo, because with only a single GPU, i could never duplicate the errors i was getting.

hey, at least it means that you arent screwed, and you do have a warranty!
and that actually sounds similar to what my rig was doing when i had both my 280x in it, or both my 4890's in it...
would get random glitches like that, but i think it actually ended up being the mobo, because with only a single GPU, i could never duplicate the errors i was getting.

I hope it's not the mobo... It's the same sort of stuff that happened before that cheap Acer mobo I had croaked. :(

We will see in time, just picked up a sweet Supernova 850 G from OW. Freshly reviewed :)

Let's hope Canada post doesn't screw this up.

Ah, the new GS. I bet he gave you a good deal.

$100 shipped.

TBH, I was only gonna spend $80 tops at Canada Computers, but I feel much better buying from the most trusted name in PSU's, plus he's a great guy :)

Back