• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Worth it to upgrade rig?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gregers05

I have the setup that is currently in my sig. It has been for the most part it had handled what I use it for pretty well. I play mostly BF4 on it, and it seems to keep up with that alright. However, it will randomly lockout and will not reboot unless I let it sit for 30 mins or so(strange, yes).

So, I have not been able to figure out what the deal is with it, I am going to re-install windows on it and see if that fixes it. I am also taking this opportunity to put a 500GB Evo850 SSD in it since I am installing windows anyways.

My question, is it work it to upgrade mobo/cpu/ram as well? Video card and PSU are all good for the time being i believe. Don't really want to spend the money to upgrade unless it would make a huge difference? If I do upgrade would now be the time, or should I wait till later in the year when the 1151 socket comes out?

As far as your locking up issue, have you checked to see what your temps are lately? Could it be time to replace the TIM? Just a thought.

As far as what to upgrade I would hold off on the CPU/MoBo until the release of 1151 personally. If this rig is used primarily for gaming and not video encoding or something similar than your biggest improvement will be the GPU. But even on that I'd wait a little while for the R9 3XX Series to come out and see what happens to the prices on everything. You might be able to pick up an R9 290x for a great deal.

If its working for you now, I would wait until Skylake later in the year or at worst broadwell.

How old are the WD's could be a bad sector or a sign of something wrong, a SSD would help with loading times for games and other things besides. As many members have already stated a SSD up date to a oldish PC is a sure way to give it a boost and new lease of life. Till you decide which direction you want to up grade to next.

Ajay.

cool thanks guys.

No, I dont think my issue is a hard drive issue, i have ran multiple tests on them using various programs and they checked out okay. I have been eyeing a SSD for a while now and since I am doing a fresh windows install anyways, figured now would be a good time to add the SSD in. I will put the WD in raid 1 and use them for storage.

Blaylock, my temps look normal, but will probably throw some new TIM on there when i put the SSD in there while I have it open.

I think (hope) a fresh OS install will fix my problem since it is a free fix. If not, I think it is mobo or ram related, in which case I will go ahead and upgrade. I though about buying another 6GB of the XMS3 ram, but dont really want to dump any money into an out dated platform.

I doubt another 6GB would improve your gaming except a few titles. IF anything, and it's a big if, get 8GB of 1866 CL9 if you can find them super cheap. Again though, won't be an eye opening difference. Just wait for the next gen i5 or i7 with the DDR$ oops I mean DDR4 mem's.

yeah I think thats what I will do. Sucks because when the i7 came out, I figured the 1366 socket would have been a around a while longer, but the 1155 pretty much took it over and the i7 920 was pretty much it for the 1366. Sucks, but thats technology market for you.

hopefully the 1151 wont be the same way, but who knows. Yeah DDR$ is crazy. Although DDR3 isnt all that much better for what you get.

I'm guessing your TX power supply is from 2008-2009? Might be time to consider a replacement soon. Maybe when you replace your rig, don't carry it over. Those seem to turn into french toast on people after a few years. My TX750 from 2008 gave up and rolled over and died not too long ago, and I never put more than like 300W on it ever.

I'm guessing your TX power supply is from 2008-2009? Might be time to consider a replacement soon. Maybe when you replace your rig, don't carry it over. Those seem to turn into french toast on people after a few years. My TX750 from 2008 gave up and rolled over and died not too long ago, and I never put more than like 300W on it ever.

at first, I didnt think it was that old, 08-09 seems so long ago! It was, and I cant believe it has been 7+ years since I built my junk. geez. Went back and looked at my order history on newegg and i purchased it 10/23/09. I bought that one because it had a good rep on here and was recommended by a lot on here. How long do PSU usually last?

Several years. There is capacitor degredation but, truth be told, I wouldn't worry too much about it for these reasons...

1. If you upgrade, you will more likely than not be using LESS power (unless you are going with AMD FX line instead of Intel which are 84W CPUs vs your 120W. If you get a GTX 980, its 165W and the 570 is 225W+ IIRC).
2. Its a decent PSU. If it craps out, it won't take the rest or other parts down with it.

I say let it ride unless you can easily fit another PSU in that budget.

Several years. There is capacitor degredation but, truth be told, I wouldn't worry too much about it for these reasons...

1. If you upgrade, you will more likely than not be using LESS power (unless you are going with AMD FX line instead of Intel which are 84W CPUs vs your 120W. If you get a GTX 980, its 165W and the 570 is 225W+ IIRC).
2. Its a decent PSU. If it craps out, it won't take the rest or other parts down with it.

EarthDog speaks the truth. I personally don't like to risk it and I've always retired PSUs after 6-7 years, just incase. That's if they don't die on me before 7 years are up, which has happened a couple of times. I don't throw them in the garbage though, the oldie but workies... I sell them as (thoroughly) used but still functional parts, and there's always somebody looking for rock bottom prices who will take it off your hands. Some people will even buy "dead" parts and put new capacitors or whatever is needed on them themselves, then flip them for a profit.

My TX took out my motherboard :-/

Thanks, I have honestly been wanting a modular PSU for cleanliness reasons, so that will probably be the route I will go sooner than later.

So just as an update, I got a new power supply. Went with a EVGA GS650 full modular. Got it installed and running, and all is good. No more lock ups (so far). However now some of the buttons on my cpu controller no longer work, so ordered a Sentry 3. The current one is a Sentry 2.

Back