• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED AMD ZEN Discussion (Previous Rumor Thread)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
52% IPC gain? Is the the real life or is this just fantasy?

Welp.... AMD Grand Slam

I was also looking at those prices at Microcenter Why are they so high? Newegg's had them cheaper for god knows how long
Vs the abysmal IPC on the Fx series processors. From what it seems, yes these processors are a pretty big step up but don't get your panties all twisted up on marketing hype.

I am seriously considering the 6700k bundle from micro center....Known performance, but I don't really know the platform all that well. My last Intel desktop was a Celeron 1.3ghz back in the day :O

Welp.... AMD Grand Slam

I was also looking at those prices at Microcenter Why are they so high? Newegg's had them cheaper for god knows how long

You're completely 100% WRONG there - Microcenter is almost always cheaper than Newegg. WTF are you looking at?

For example, right now, today at Newegg the i7-7700K is $349.99 while at Microcenter it is $299.95. Even before the current sale, two weeks ago Microcenter was selling the i7-770K for $319.99. Plus Microcenter then gives you $30 off a motherboard when purchased with the CPU.

Welp.... AMD Grand Slam

You must be looking at the 'original price' of $379 which it never was including Day 1. The most i saw it at MC was $349 on release day. I had to buy one at MC a couple weeks ago, before the Ryzen Hoopla, and it was $329 then. They dropped the price $30.

Newegg has always ALWAYS been more expensive than MC on chips alone. Always.

Newegg has always ALWAYS been more expensive than MC on chips alone. Always.

This is true and even more on the "walk in deals". Offers only valid in store is how I purchased a brand new 2500K not long after release time. If I remember this right, but don't quote me here, I only paid like 249$ for it. Bought board with it too. Hella Cheap

And, on 3/2 I'll be ordering a motherboard at my local Microcenter to go with my pre-ordered vanilla Ryzen 7 1700 and I'll get $30 off of that. Most likely an ASRock X370 since I've had good luck with their boards and Gigabyte usually has RAM issues with new platforms. If i decide to get a shiny new RX 480 to go with it, another $20 off that.

Redgamingtech on YT says that the NDA will lift for benchs on the 28/29th . Paul did a ryzen unboxing today

Cooler Master has just stepped up with a free upgrade for AM4 also, just need to pay shipping. The adapters should become available March 1st.

Source.

there aren't too many of us out there i guess but if any of you are watching i just saw this as well

Capture.JPG

Cooler Master has just stepped up with a free upgrade for AM4 also, just need to pay shipping. The adapters should become available March 1st.

Source.

Funny how they talk about no downtime, and then don't let you order it until March 1 guaranteeing downtime. But, in addition to my Hyper 212s, I also have a Cooler Master T4 lying around that doesn't need any adapter so I'll just use that initially.

I don't see the down time. If you order on the first and the shipping on the 2nd...the same day thay Ryzen and the am4 boards ship...should be no down time.

You're completely 100% WRONG there - Microcenter is almost always cheaper than Newegg. WTF are you looking at?

For example, right now, today at Newegg the i7-7700K is $349.99 while at Microcenter it is $299.95. Even before the current sale, two weeks ago Microcenter was selling the i7-770K for $319.99. Plus Microcenter then gives you $30 off a motherboard when purchased with the CPU.

Folks have to pay TAX at Microcenter, I don't have to pay TAX at Newegg.

Folks have to pay TAX at Microcenter, I don't have to pay TAX at Newegg.
Tax rate here is, or say will be 7% in 4/2017.

So that makes it $319.93. That's still $30 difference. if you want to play the gas card, Say $2.00 so a gallon.. that gets you ~20 miles. So long as its 10-20 mins away (that 10 miles each way), you still save $28. Time of course is another thing... lol. ALso, 7% is pretty high state tax. The vast majority are less.. some with none (rare).
http://www.salestaxinstitute.com/resources/rates

But anyway, if it's reasonably close, you can get it cheaper in most cases. The line was blurry when the CPU was $329 (it cost slightly more here!). But that said, you walk out with it and don't have to wait a couple days either. Typical B&M vs Interwebs conundrum. :)

Last edited:
Taxes in Phoenix are at 9%. Some towns out here have a total 13% sales tax. Counties and municipalities are allowed to just pile on the state tax. Along with city income taxes and state income taxes. Sucks most of any savings right out of having a Fry's in town.

I really wish they'd bring back XL-ATX

I really liked boards that large with a ****load of PCI slots

Maybe I'm just too oldschool

As of yet there's no 40-lane R7, so there's not much point in a boatload of expansion slots. I'm hoping they make one soonish so I can replace my 5930k without losing I/O capacity.

Back