• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED AMD ZEN Discussion (Previous Rumor Thread)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I would guess from the pricing trend a bit less then a 7600k
I'm assuming there's been a confirmation on the rumors about a lack of hex cores? I mean it makes sense but then does this mean there won't be any non hyper-threaded versions of their CPUs either?

I'm assuming there's been a confirmation on the rumors about a lack of hex cores? I mean it makes sense but then does this mean there won't be any non hyper-threaded versions of their CPUs either?
Only thing up for preorder are the Ryzen 7s. No word on what that means for the smaller ones. I'm hoping the preorder is cause the 8cores are more supply constrained. Probably wishful thinking though.

5.1ghz... 1.8V... LN2??? :(

I hope that is the dud of duds for extreme overclocking...

I can't fathom 4ghz boost and 5ghz max clocks.

Science time!

With the introduction of 14nm FET sizes, we kinda entered a new realm of material breakdown. We are very close to the point where electron drift (the instantaneous moment when electronics can freely float between atoms) will cause erratic behavior inside the materials. Now some materials account for this behavior and Semiconductors like to exploit it. However when the behavior becomes so intense, it becomes very detrimental affect to the CPU. This can cause lower resistance in gates, creating current leakage or it might cause the very well defined interconnects that must have a specific timing requirement to move faster (memory speed mismatch). There are a lot of things that can start to happen.

For more information on these challenges you should read this article: http://semiengineering.com/interconnect-challenges-grow-3/

But the long and short of it is this: Expect clocks to start to stabilize around a bell curve, influence of temperatures will not matter. The only way to circumvent this is by moving to newer materials.

And for those that really care: Maths https://web.stanford.edu/class/ee311/NOTES/InterconnectScalingSlides.pdf

Science time!

With the introduction of 14nm FET sizes, we kinda entered a new realm of material breakdown. We are very close to the point where electron drift (the instantaneous moment when electronics can freely float between atoms) will cause erratic behavior inside the materials. Now some materials account for this behavior and Semiconductors like to exploit it. However when the behavior becomes so intense, it becomes very detrimental affect to the CPU. This can cause lower resistance in gates, creating current leakage or it might cause the very well defined interconnects that must have a specific timing requirement to move faster (memory speed mismatch). There are a lot of things that can start to happen.

For more information on these challenges you should read this article: http://semiengineering.com/interconnect-challenges-grow-3/

But the long and short of it is this: Expect clocks to start to stabilize around a bell curve, influence of temperatures will not matter. The only way to circumvent this is by moving to newer materials.

And for those that really care: Maths https://web.stanford.edu/class/ee311/NOTES/InterconnectScalingSlides.pdf
You know, I understood that surprisingly well for not having completed my EE degree (yet).

Makes since to me. After all feature size is getting closer and closer to the lattice constant for Si.

It'd be cool to see dual vs quad channel tests with the 6800k/6900k vs the Ryzen 7 CPUs. Test for any sort of performance difference. Would such a thing even be testable given the difference in the CPUs?

Well it looks like they delivered after all yields sound pretty rough but overall not bad at all. If Alienware updates their Alpha platform to these I think I'll bite otherwise I think my laptop will do.

Just pre-ordered a 1700 from Amazon UK. Realised it is the most expensive CPU I've ever bought (the 6700k's were slightly cheaper at the time of purchase).

1700 is ~£30 more expensive then my 6700k cost, I think the trade-off is worth it if these things overclock decently 😉

1700 is ~£30 more expensive then my 6700k cost, I think the trade-off is worth it if these things overclock decently

The 1700 is pre-ordering around 320, and both my 6700k's were near enough 300 at the time I got them. We don't know about OC yet but I'm hopeful 4 GHz isn't out of the question with somewhat upgraded cooling given that's what others turbo to. Any more than that is just a bonus.

Oh, mobos started appearing at more places overnight so I've got an order in for one of those too. One week to go...

Wow looks like the Canadian prices are all about $100 more then the US pricing ....... across the board .... CPU and Motherboard $524 for 1700X 329 for Crosshair and up to $200 for GSKILL 3200 Ram 16 Gig kit. This could get expensive fast.

Wow looks like the Canadian prices are all about $100 more then the US pricing ....... across the board .... CPU and Motherboard $524 for 1700X 329 for Crosshair and up to $200 for GSKILL 3200 Ram 16 Gig kit. This could get expensive fast.

Our dollar makes it quite painful right now. And shipping across the boarder? Forget about it. The duties are insane.

I am waiting to see if there is a nice 6c/12t variant in here for me somewhere that overclocks like a beast. :D

So many people suddenly use so many cores! :p

I was thinking the same thing. if i was going to upgrade I'd be getting the 8/16 CPU (probably the cheapest one), because I do virtualization and such. But if I just did basic gaming and normal day to day work on it, I still couldn't see much reason to get more than the 4/8. We've been talking about it for years that "games will be taking advantage of more cores this generation, just wait" and for the most part they don't really or if they do, the scaling isn't really worth the cost versus the extra money being spent on a higher end GPU. But maybe if it becomes increasingly mainstream to have more than 8 total threads then it will become more likely for devs to support it more. <looks into crystal ball>

Back