• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED AMD ZEN Discussion (Previous Rumor Thread)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Actually I have a Dell Precision 7510 with the i7-6920HQ (2.9Ghz) CPU and it does stay at a sustained 3.4Ghz for extended periods of time at least when I'm docked, and even in my lap sometimes. It can be done I just dont think it happens that often because of thermal limits are hit too often. Thankfully my chip is cool and get a nice spead perk out of it.

I concur: my old 3630QM [email protected] (from 2.4GHz) on 4C/8T for hours under P95 (it never hits 90c...)

6920HQ has max boost of 3.8GHz, 3630QM has max boost of 3.4GHz so they work at higher boost but not at max. The same is with other processors. They go to higher state but won't work at max except short period of time.
Max boost also depends on temps and some other factors so many things may affect actual frequency.

6920HQ has max boost of 3.8GHz, 3630QM has max boost of 3.4GHz so they work at higher boost but not at max. The same is with other processors. They go to higher state but won't work at max except short period of time.
Max boost also depends on temps and some other factors so many things may affect actual frequency.

3630QM has 3.4 on 1 core and 3.2 on 4 cores max boost.

- - - Updated - - -

That was the point.... Nerd fights belong on Tom's hardware [emoji14]

:rofl:

When we know all about Ryzen... LOl!

Woomack, are you planning to do a bunch of memory tests for RyZen? Which board(s) are you grabbing if so?

A comment from ASUS:

I’ve decided to provide some recommendations on DDR4 limitations concerning AM4 currently.

As it stands the AMD code has restricted RAM tuning options which means many RAM kits at launch will not be compatible. This is the same for our competitors also.
What we recommend is the following:
If fully populating a system with 4 DIMMs (2DPC), use memory up to a max of 2400MHz.
If using 1DPC (2 DIMMs) ensure they are installed in A2/B2 and use memory up to max of 3200MHz.

The indication I have received from HQ is that AMD has focused all their efforts on CPU performance so far and will release updated code in 1~2 months when we expect improved DDR4 compatibility and performance."

In short if filling all 4 DIMM's set your speed to 2400MHz and work up from there.
If using 2 DIMM's put them in the A2/B2 slots and a max of 3200MHz should be possible.

In our testing only the Crosshair board achieved 3000-3200MHz, the others were in the 2400-2666MHz range.

BIOS updates will come!

This would be most interesting. It'll help me know what I need to buy as RAM. I got some time till the 4C/8T drops anyways :)
For the money you'll be hard pressed to find a better set of sticks then the 3200 Cl14 Tridents Woomack tested here. I picked up a set recently and had them running @ 3733 12-12-12 for benching (not stable).

BIOS updates will come!

And this is what we are really waiting for after the Cpu is released. Like Mr. Scotty says, "waiting till all the bugs are worked out from the motherboards"...

A comment from ASUS:
Was that posted somewhere? If so, got a link? Edit - in a search it seems a post on OCUK forums was the original source.

I presume when they say not compatible, they mean not at ram kit rated higher speeds. I would hope they'll still be ok at lower standard speeds.

I'm going into this knowing it is early days and there will no doubt be many bios updates to look forward to... we're like a public beta test going in early.

Last edited:

They are talking full load situations neither CPU will hold full boost under 4 cores (PER INTEL SPEC). Single cores will hit full speed just fine and that speed will move cores as the task scheduler prioritizes work. This is a pretty commonly known thing and I quite honestly have no idea what you are arguing other than you have no idea how turbo works.

It just goes to max clock for short period of time and not even on all platforms. If it stays at max boost clock then settings are not standard/auto. Part of my full time job is to configure and sell computers and I simply never see max boost on branded laptops/servers and fresh OS without changes. The same if servers are in production phase then they never go to max boost even if performance mode is enabled in BIOS. Load balance won't let it run at max turbo simply because there are always processes in the background so single thread just never happens. That's for standard settings on computers where you can't really change any settings in BIOS. You can however force max clock by limiting active threads in OS or use soft which is forcing max clock. OC series motherboards have often additional features which are keeping turbo at max but not regular boards.

On my i5 laptop I see full turbo all the time when surfing the web and doing things.:clap:

lol ive never got turbo to work right. even running one thread of p95 never seemed to work for me.

edit: i take that back, i didnt properly know the turbo frequency of my chip lol i just tested and ban 3.39ghz. i thought it was a 3.4ghz chip.:chair:

Back