• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Official Fallout 4 Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It's important to note, that while you can turn off vsync and unlock the framerate via the ini file edit, it isn't recommended to go over 60 fps as the games physics are tied to the fps and can cause certain actions and quests to bug out and makes lock picking virtually impossible

I was about to buy this game but a huge majority of the steam reviews are saying they don't recommend it. I also see a lot of people saying the game crashes on start up. Is anyone having issues playing this?

I put about 3.5 hours into it last night.

No crashes, abit of micro-stutter sometimes but no real complaints about smoothness.

I think that most of the complaints come from people that don['t really know how to use their computers. PC gaming has always been buggy. You have always had to make adjustments and tweaks to make games run optimally. It is just par for the course.

I did notice that mouse control on dialogue and terminal interface was a little buggy at times.

I find reviews less and less useful these days as there is an increasing population of kids that just want to slam everything. There is very little constructive criticism that allows patches to move the game forward.

Give me another 15-20 hours and I will have a really good idea what is good and what is lacking.

I was able to play it last night for 3hrs. I have an LG Ultra wide 2k 21:9 monitor, so for the first hour I was messing with settings to get the resolution to fit my screen. Everything works, but the HUD is really stretched, and some text and graphics are not aligned correctly. Something I expected, and I know will be fixed in the future.

i have this issue in quite alot of games i probably have the same monitor by the sound of it. for some reason the game scales but the hud dont, funny thing is most of the free to play (not pay to win) games i play its fine lol!

I did a very quick test to see how core count affected the game's FPS. With my 9590 handicapped to 4 cores, I saw an average 10fps loss.

Setup:
Sabertooth 2.0 PCIe 2.0 @x16
Radeon R9 280X, Power Color TurboDuo
1000W PSU
8GB Ripjaw 1600MHz Cas 8
Water cooled CPU and GPU, Full blocks, 2-Rad + 1-Rad solution.

They will probably release a textures pack just like they did for Skyrim. The mod scene will for sure, but FO games have never been about the graphics.

Couple of hours more and I can say some more about F4:
- Additional graphics effects are quite nice ... even though engine looks like from Fallout 3
- World is really large but most locations are in the buildings, basements, tunnels, caves etc. You can pass outside map in couple of mins from north to south ( avoiding fights ).
- Story is quite good and there are some unexpected events ( won't spoil that ). There are also 4+ ways to finish main story quests ( maybe more, I found 4 ways ).
- Some areas are way too hard when you are starting the game so at least at the beginning it's better to stick to main quests and make side quests too at least to get some more exp faster.
- Game looks small till you start make quests. There are many locations with side quests and other options to improve weapons/armors etc. In total you can spend much more time on side quests and other additional stuff than you think. Also your decisions are opening way to some additional quests.
- Having high charisma is helping to get additional quests or to earn more money from quest rewards. I started with 8 but low strength and luck.
- In general for me is too much fight and not enough missions which I can solve talking or in any other way. There are some NPC which are giving you quests that are almost the same - kill everything in location marked on map or get an item which is in marked location ( what means kill all on the way to get it ).
- As I mentioned earlier, most perks are to improve killing. Not many affect interaction with other characters. I just saw pointless to put SPECIAL points in strength and luck. I also set low agility and I had no problems to pass anything. Computer hacking, lockpicking, high charisma and some other things are much more helpful than close combat skills. I also saw no disadvantages of having 1 luck out of combat.
- Building anything is just pathetic. Idea is good but the way you make it and available objects are really bad.
- Randomly my character stucks in textures. The more complicated object, the easier is to stuck.
- Also randomly game is kicking me out, like closes without error. This isn't happening often but is good to make saves often.
- There are places in story where if you won't make everything on the list but move to other location then you won't be able to finish quest and you will have to look for earlier saves ( I lost about 1h because of that ).
- Game is clearly designed for consoles. When you have pad connected ( my brother had ) then it automatically set it as main controller and you can't use mouse/keyboard. When you try to skip conversation with mouse then you can attack/kill NPC.

That's all for now :)

Last edited:
My roommate talked me into getting this yesterday. It's pretty fun, but I'm coming from a heavily modded New Vegas.

Building up the strongholds is cool as hell though. Would be nice if you could pivot snapped walls, instead of having them lock together.

The hair is flat and horribly static. When I'm in the middle of a windy rad-storm in Sanctuary, all of our hair should not look like it is glued to our heads.

Most of the settlement construction pieces will sit their base on the highest spot of ground wherever they are, meaning there is absolutely NO WAY to build things nicely on hills, because they'll always be sticking out and floating. This makes sense for the premade shacks and floors and foundations, but not for thing like power pylons and workbenches. Those smaller items should be sunk into the ground until their entire base meets the floor.
Also, building a floor on top of dead bushes and grass and such doesn't remove the scrub. Instead, it pokes right up through floors and walls.

Not really a complaint, but as with every Bethesda game, I hate not having 3000 base carrying capacity for all my junk :)

I don't like building anything. It takes a lot of time and at the end it looks bad anyway. Not to mention it's pretty useless to make it ( or maybe only I see no point ). Like turrets and other defenses. There is an info it will defend your settlement and lower chance to be attacked but somehow I can't see it make any special difference if you set good defense or not. I never see anything attacking it.

I don't like building anything. It takes a lot of time and at the end it looks bad anyway. Not to mention it's pretty useless to make it ( or maybe only I see no point ). Like turrets and other defenses. There is an info it will defend your settlement and lower chance to be attacked but somehow I can't see it make any special difference if you set good defense or not. I never see anything attacking it.

Building furniture and things seems to increase the "happiness" meter, though I'm not sure if that has any effect otherwise. Also nice to have lighting all over the town :) I've had raiders come in and get pwned by my heavy laser turrets four times already. New settlers are awfully slow to show up, so its nice to not have them getting killed. It's also a whole bunch of free resources when I scrap their armor and weapons.

Does anyone know how to get general lighting to work? I somehow got a bare bulb working, but I can't get anything else lit up (other than the ones which have a direct connection, but that is easy to figure out).

I also found an engine bug/design bug. Place an object on the ground, something tall you can put an item on, such as a table or box. Place an item on top of the object, them remove the supporting object. The item is now floating in the air. You can do this with buildings.

Does anyone know how to get general lighting to work? I somehow got a bare bulb working, but I can't get anything else lit up (other than the ones which have a direct connection, but that is easy to figure out).

Power to interior stuff depends on nearby pylons or exterior conduits. For the dilapidated-yet-impossible-to-scrap pre-existing structures that have peaked roofs, I put one small pylon on the peak of the roof at the edge, then vertical conduits down each side of the roof every few meters and wire them to the pylon. You might use the downward conduit underneath a balcony if you placed a floor lamp on it.
2015-11-14_00001.jpg
2015-11-14_00002.jpg

Last edited:
Huh, didn't think of doing it like that. Thanks, I'll give it a try.

One thing I didn't know until recently: they let you put points into SPECIAL directly. It gives you very few points to start with (considerably less than previous games), but you can put your perks directly into them. I decided to go nearly full strength and agility, but super low intelligence and luck, but realized I was missing out on a lot of fun stuff. Was going to start over before I realized I can just put points in directly.

They didn't seem to be creative with dialogue. In New Vegas, being a big dumb brute gave me a whole ton of new (stupid) things to say, and it was pretty fun. I haven't seen a single good line in 4. :(

Last edited:
Back