• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Scored an AMD FX system for cheap, but there is a dilemma....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theflaminroids

Registered
So, my current setup is in my sig; old i7 truckin' along at 3.3ghz. Anyhow, a friend who knows nothing about computers sold me a system for $100 and here is what I got:
AMD FX 8350 4.0 GHZ
ASUS M5A99x Pro 2.0
Corsiar Vengeance DDR3 1866mhz 2x8 GB
EVGA GT 640 1 GB video card
WD Blue 7200rpm 1 TB HDD
Sandisk 240GB SSD
Antec 550 watt PSU
Beat up Cooler Master case

My question is; should I swap out the AMD with my Intel setup?

Likely not to be a real noticeable difference. Your Video card is better. Only thing I see that is a real plus is the size of the SSD in the AMD setup. You don't mention what is doing the 'cooling' of the FX-8350 and if it is stock cooling you will not be able to overclock the FX an amount great enough to just forge on out ahead of the i7-920 at 3.3GHz. Probably just about a wash between the two.

RGone...

EDIT:
Well I just searched i7 920 vs FX-8350 and the actual people were almost tied for what to do as in upgrading from i7 920 to FX-8350 in saying yes and no. That is about a wash as I said. There were a few respondents showing some sites benching of a bunch of cpus in some applications and the FX-8350 did okay winning some benches.

And then same thing I mentioned when you did not say what was cooling the AMD cpu...the users said without good cooling little overclock to forge on out with greater peformance.

Heck bench your old rig. Then Swap your video card into the AMD rig and bench it. Then YOU know what you have and are not guesssing or wanting somebody eles's opinion about what you actually have in your hands.
END EDIT.

Last edited:
My brother had a 920. Decent chip, a little older.

Have a personal example....

I had a 2500K and I also had a 965BE.

OCed both and 3D benched both. Outcomes where identical.

Then I realized for most gaming, Your GPU is going to matter more over the Cpu.

My suggestion is simple...

Sell most of the HW from one of the two rigs and upgrade XFX Radeon HD7870 2GB to a newer GPU to increase you frame rates and gaming experience.

You did not mention, what you are currently doing with your Intel rig.

@ T_T can you point me in the direction of this setup???? I have a 8350 and a 8370 that I WOULD LOVE to take beyond 6GHz :)

Much better overclocked clock speed (Water) 8.79 GHz vs 3.94 GHz Around 2.2x better overclocked clock speed (Water) -------referring to the difference between the 8350 & i7 920

@ E_D I didn't know that LN was classified as water????

@ T_T can you point me in the direction of this setup???? I have a 8350 and a 8370 that I WOULD LOVE to take beyond 6GHz :)

Much better overclocked clock speed (Water) 8.79 GHz vs 3.94 GHz Around 2.2x better overclocked clock speed (Water) -------referring to the difference between the 8350 & i7 920

Liquid Nitrogen (LN2) isn't classified as water, it is extreme/sub-ambient. Only water and air are ambient cooling (they can only cool down as cool as the air they are surrounded by).

I followed the link and .....I know I know.... that the FX 8350 was water cooled to 8.7GHz. That is not water cooling unless you like take it to the north pole and pour water on it and let it freeze.

- - - Updated - - -

You need to go sub ambient cooling.

I'm not ready yet to step from water to dice but I have already got some good ideas for my pot:)

Liquid Nitrogen (LN2) isn't classified as water, it is extreme/sub-ambient. Only water and air are ambient cooling (they can only cool down as cool as the air they are surrounded by).

I understand the basics : Nitrogen which is a gas in it's normal state, is cooled (supercooled really) until it turns into a liquid state:)

Now I see what you're talking about Maddmutt, yeah 8+ Ghz on water might be a little tough. With -20c water during the winter I topped out at about 5.8 ghz.
Capture6.PNG

I think the person that put that there must have been using that BONG that Silver's be talking about making:)

It's clearly a typo fellas. Should read 4.79ghz as this would be a reasonable clock speed on (water)

3.94 x 2.2 = 8.668.

3.94 x 2.2308 = 8.789352

8794mhz is world record one of a kind chip. It's unlikely any one here is going to obtain this clock speed any time soon. http://valid.canardpc.com/records.php

Highest recorded speed for the 920 is only 5743mhz phase change. FX can hit this on chilled liquid.

What a crappy comparison and mathematics.

I think the person that put that there must have been using that BONG that Silver's be talking about making

:p

That's got to be a Liquid Nitrogen overclock.

That, or there was a really massive typographical error.

Didn't notice that when I posted it.

It's clearly a typo fellas. Should read 4.79ghz as this would be a reasonable clock speed on (water)

3.94 x 2.2 = 8.668.

3.94 x 2.2308 = 8.789352

8794mhz is world record one of a kind chip. It's unlikely any one here is going to obtain this clock speed any time soon. http://valid.canardpc.com/records.php

Highest recorded speed for the 920 is only 5743mhz phase change. FX can hit this on chilled liquid.

What a crappy comparison and mathematics.

:p
+1

If he still has the 1366 board and he's happy with it as a system, I'd seriously look for a Xeon X5650 on ebay. While stock is 2.66Ghz... if your board can do 186 bclock, that's 4.2Ghz.

You'll need a PSU and some cooling though, Gulftown can beatdown a board quick. But even just 4.0Ghz with 12 threads they still have some kick left in the 'ol socket.

Back