• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC'ing with the FX-8370

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ok, for the most part i pretty much left everything default. left vcore on auto, multiplier set to 4.3 just to see what happens and get a base i guess. this is after 45 mins

347fse1.png.jpg

Last edited:
1.424 vcore auto for 4.3 GHz. Seems a little bit high, to me.
Try to set on manual 1.40v
Once i had a msi motherboard 970 gaming before VRM blows up.
You can set also 1.20/25v on cpu-nb vcore to increase stability.

The numbers were a bit hard to see but if you haven't already you should get a fan on the VRM and socket of that board. that's a 20+C difference between core and socket .

1.432v is insane high for 4.3ghz, should be around 1.3v :eek:
All depends on the silicon Kenrou, reality is one need to get the voltage off auto and see what the chip really needs. This setting the multi and guessing where the voltage should be is just a crap shoot.

Why i said around 1.3v, that seems to be the average for a stock 8350/8370 to be stable (w/turbo) out of the threads i have been reading over the years. Ofc you have the really good and really bad silicon pieces but you always have some sort of an average. Taking it off auto was one of the 1st things i learned when overclocking, and a lesson learned well :D

1.424 vcore auto for 4.3 GHz. Seems a little bit high, to me.
Try to set on manual 1.40v
Once i had a msi motherboard 970 gaming before VRM blows up.
You can set also 1.20/25v on cpu-nb vcore to increase stability.

set it to 1.40 on vcore. also took cpu-nb vcore +0.000000 just to get it off auto. ran test for 10 mins and nothing froze on me. i will test longer but i just wanted to know its not gonna automatically stop on me like before.

thanks for the help everyone!

hopefully its at least stable now so i can start tuning. now to get the most out of it.....

Good. So try to set 1.39v and test again.

Otherwise keep voltage and raise frequency to 4.4 GHz.

i tried this @ 4.4 and ran test again. it didnt freeze, but it did have some error about the decimal was off or didnt match or something so i put it back. no error after that. ill have to get a screenshot later. anyone know what that may refer to?

The rounding error means 4.4GHz at 1.40v isn't enough volts. if you want, try 4.4Ghz at 1.41v or 1.415v.

looks like im finding some success finally....... i will get a fan in there soon. the last result was the one to pass @ 4.4. i will continue a longer test in a little bit, just wanted it to at least pass the 1st round lol

2vsg285.png.jpg
2w2n68p.png.jpg
5yvuac.png.jpg

LOL @ one pass .
I used to Love p95 I wasn't above running it for a Few days to check for a stable system .
But I did find IBT much faster ( hours faster ) at showing a instability .

How much memory are you running now ? Trents posted at the start to stick with only 2x8gb as FX have a weak IMC.

I'm going to reiterate, get something on the VRM and back of the socket. See TMPN 1 at 61° that really close to max of 75°. Your CPU temp is only in the 30s. That gap is too wide and will stop your OC adventures unless you address it. MSI boards are know for hot power sections.
Right now you still have lots of headroom on the CPU but the socket is going to stop you with throttling/instability very soon. The AIO cooler takes all the airflow away from the CPU area which you would have with a good tower cooler like the NHD-15
Try doing something like this.
Capturefan.PNG
vrm fans.jpg

i currently have my fans setup a little different then the normal. 3 in the front are intakes. 1 in the back is also as intake as i thought that may help the vrm part. radiator is on top of case as exhaust

the TMPN 1 was at 75c before the fans

Back