• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which i7 do I need to go for photo editing software?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mashburn

Registered
My computer will be on editing and ZERO gaming. the processor and memory is the most important things. I am looking at pre-built computers. because I am to afraid of putting the processor together. I know it is cheaper, but I honestly don't want to jack that one up. I can add hard drives, SSD, graphic cards etc etc. but a processor is something I never have done.

sooooooooo anyhow which processor is best? is there a huge difference from one to the other? I originally had the 4790 picked, but then so the 4790K can perform better. But now I heard of the 5830K which has to more cores. But I am unsure if there will be a huge enough difference for me.

I have a ton of pictures that I do. I will upload anywhere from 1,000-5,000++++ pictures at one time. and will edit them. I work with the Atlanta Falcons, Atlanta Steam (lingerie football) and semi pro teams. So that is why there is so many pictures and why so many are edited. I will generally have 1500 pictures from one game. and then pick 200 pictures to edit. the rest will go to trash or be saved.

thanks,

Yep, wondering what software you will be using as ATM said.

Also, many photo editing applications can use GPU to process/render the images which I would assume would be significantly faster than a CPU.

For what it's worth, installing a CPU couldn't really be easier. You line up a triangle on a CPU with a triangle in the socket, lay it in, and close the lid.

Does anyone here build computers to be sold?

I am able to throw in a SSD, hard drive, graphics card. but all the rest of the stuff I have not done. and I really am afraid of doing the processor.

general idea of what it will be is....
ASUS motherboard or whatever you recommend
i7-4790K
250GB SSD
2 TB hard drive
basic graphic card (I don't really need a great one.). just something 2GB minimum

I'm a photographer and not a gamer. I will not be running any games on this. I do heavy editing through Adobe Lightroom/Photoshop.

- - - Updated - - -

not sure if it would matter. but I could do the SSD, hard drive, graphic card on my own.

I also live in Georgia.

I posted in your other thread already -- installing a CPU is very simple.

The only difficulty is if you can't see a triangle.

B29ZM5d.jpg

Line up the triangle. Lay in the cpu carefully, and close the metal lid and clamp it down. There's probably also thousands of videos showing how to do it.

Also, for what it's worth you likely want to get a decent graphics card. Not for gaming, but because lightroom and photoshop greatly benefit from gpu acceleration.

Adobe Photoshhop/Lightroom. I would like to stay with CS6 photoshop, but I am having to go to Lightroom CC.

side note: Lightroom really does not use the graphics card. the graphic card is only for the monitor. Photoshop does, but I rarely go into photoshop. and when I go to photoshop it is only for a few images at a time or less.

- - - Updated - - -

LOL. thanks with telling me it easy. I might do it then. I am comfortable with installing the SSD, hard drive graphic card stuff.

so you may change my mind on m doing it myself. thanks

According to this: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/lightroom-gpu-faq.html

Lightroom CC can use graphics card.

to a point it does. but a basic GTX card is fine. something like a 970 is overkill. Yes it will help very very slightly, but the price hike is not worth it. I much rather put my money into things that make a huge difference...... but if it is something 50$ or less for better, I will of course do that)

With Adobe products, get a 4790K and GTX 750Ti.
You'll get your best performance per dollar this way.

I'd highly suggest you build your own system, the cost savings are 50%+.

I posted in your other thread already -- installing a CPU is very simple.

The only difficulty is if you can't see a triangle.

B29ZM5d.jpg

Line up the triangle. Lay in the cpu carefully, and close the metal lid and clamp it down. There's probably also thousands of videos showing how to do it.

Also, for what it's worth you likely want to get a decent graphics card. Not for gaming, but because lightroom and photoshop greatly benefit from gpu acceleration.

if I could plus one you I would. you are going to get me to doing this on my own.

thanks

If I were you I would look at the one of the Hawell E cores. What you will be doing with the computer will benefit from as many cores as possible. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007671 600535697

What's your budge here? Have you already purchased some of the parts you mention?

I'm sure you can find a mom and pop computer shop near where you live to have someone put this thing together for you.

No, with his software (see his other thread) he'll be better off with a 4790K and 750Ti.

With Adobe products, get a 4790K and GTX 750Ti.
You'll get your best performance per dollar this way.

I'd highly suggest you build your own system, the cost savings are 50%+.

Thank you.

I honestly believe I am going to give it a try. I just worried with putting the cooling stuff on and etc. I really do not want to jack up a 500$ piece because I put to much or to little

Thank you to who ever merged these threads. it was stupid of me making two. I should have known it would have gone like this in both threads. sorry and thanks

- - - Updated - - -

This is what I'd build if I were in your shoes:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Kp2LNG

My only difference I will be making is going with a 250GB SSD or less. and adding a 2TB hard drive.

Thank you to who ever merged these threads. it was stupid of me making two. I should have known it would have gone like this in both threads. sorry and thanks

- - - Updated - - -

My only difference I will be making is going with a 250GB SSD or less. and adding a 2TB hard drive.

Just make sure 250GB will be enough for all your Photoshop/Lightroom temp space along with your OS, other programs, and room to grow.
Even with the 500GB and 2TB you're well within budget.

Just make sure 250GB will be enough for all your Photoshop/Lightroom temp space along with your OS, other programs, and room to grow.
Even with the 500GB and 2TB you're well within budget.
Yeah. I'll just pocket that money or put it towards a better memory (unless those are awesome).

Plus I need to get the os and a few other things.

By Chance is there any thing else that I would need? Or recommendations

Yeah. I'll just pocket that money or put it towards a better memory (unless those are awesome).

Plus I need to get the os and a few other things.

By Chance is there any thing else that I would need? Or recommendations

The memory I picked out is perfect for your needs.

The case comes with all the fans you need, so nothing there.
If you ever plan to overclock or want a quieter PC, a CPU cooler would be a good investment.

I'm guessing you are in Atlanta metro area mashburn? If so, you will want to get the motherboard and CPU in a combo deal from Microcenter. Their in-store prices for those combos beat everyone else.

Back