• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which i7 do I need to go for photo editing software?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm guessing you are in Atlanta metro area mashburn? If so, you will want to get the motherboard and CPU in a combo deal from Microcenter. Their in-store prices for those combos beat everyone else.

Good call there!
If nothing else he'll be there for home games for the Falcons.

I'm guessing you are in Atlanta metro area mashburn? If so, you will want to get the motherboard and CPU in a combo deal from Microcenter. Their in-store prices for those combos beat everyone else.

Awesome. Thank you for that. Very much

Good call there!
If nothing else he'll be there for home games for the Falcons.

I have a semi website that I'm still working on. You can see my women's and semi pro football. I haven't added the falcons camp yet
Golden-hour.Net

This is what I'd build if I were in your shoes:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Kp2LNG

changed some things up.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/w6hLNG

thoughts? and do I need a wireless card? I hope I am not asking a dumb question here. but the wireless card is for hooking up to your network wireless, right? instead of using the ethernet cord?

I also added the thermal paste. is there anything else I need? wires, etc? sorry I am a noob completely at what I will need and not need.

I hope you realize just how monstrous that case is. You can go with an mATX tower with that motherboard.
If you want to use Wi-Fi, yes you'll need a wireless card.
The stock cooler comes with thermal paste already on it, but it doesn't hurt to have a tube.
Buy Windows 7 or 8.1 for cheap, you can get a free upgrade to Windows 10.

If I go 8.1 Pro. will it upgrade me to windows 10 pro? because my wife does things with contacting to workplace domains and with encrypting.

If I go 8.1 Pro. will it upgrade me to windows 10 pro? because my wife does things with contacting to workplace domains and with encrypting.

I'm not sure, there's a thread here about the Windows 10 release that you could direct that question toward.

Yes, 8.1 Pro will upgrade to Win10 Pro. In the "Upgrade Editions" here, you will see what upgrades to what.

If I may make a suggestion: This case would fit you much better. The Thor is designed for an air-cooled gaming box, not a workstation. Something like that 350D (as an example) will be much quieter and take up much less space. The Define Mini is another great example. Cases are a very personal choice, though. You should shop around a little and see what appeals to you.

Yes, 8.1 Pro will upgrade to Win10 Pro. In the "Upgrade Editions" here, you will see what upgrades to what.

If I may make a suggestion: This case would fit you much better. The Thor is designed for an air-cooled gaming box, not a workstation. Something like that 350D (as an example) will be much quieter and take up much less space. The Define Mini is another great example. Cases are a very personal choice, though. You should shop around a little and see what appeals to you.

thanks for telling me about Windows 10.

Yeah I am trying to figure out what case is good and what case is not. and what case is reasonable. the 350D is one I looked at. and then my eyes started looking at lights and etc in other cases LOL (my priorities went out the window).

I would like LED lights in it. but I do not need it. I much rather have quiet. and I really want to make sure it stays cool (but with me only doing photo editing and no gaming, I do not think I need to be looking into this so hard).

And I agree with you and ATMINSIDE that the full case is to much for me. it would really be taking up to much room and I will never use that room. I'll never do gaming on this computer or even watch movies.

So any recomendations for a USB 3.0, stays cool? and possibly has LED lights in it or a cool look; if it does not kill the fan cooling or kill me in price of going over 110$?

You can always install your own lights, they have USB, Molex and even SATA powered LEDs that run from dirt cheap to crazy expensive. I got something like this for my system because my motherboard has a USB port next to the front panel headers, so I didn't have to use any additional cables on my PSU, but there are tons of options. Lighting can be done in any case, so lets focus on what you want for $110.

Really, the most important thing is that it holds your parts. You have an mATX board with a short PCB 750Ti picked out. Any non-slim mATX case will fit your parts. Next, cooling should be considered. Since this is going to be a work station (left at stock, correct?), one exhaust fan should do. One intake and one exhaust would be ideal, though. Finally, the way it looks should be the deciding factor. Keep in mind, that if you want lights, you can add them for very little. Do you want a side panel window? The ability to add fans to the side panel? Maybe just a plain side panel? What do you want the front to look like? How many USB ports do you want?

I would start here, and look until you find something that you love.

Spend a little more on the SSD and grab either the SanDisk ExtremePro or Samsung 850 Pro, outside of enterprise SSDs, these 2 will be best on the endurance front when it comes to professional work like this. Plus, 10year warranty with either ;)

Spend a little more on the SSD and grab either the SanDisk ExtremePro or Samsung 850 Pro, outside of enterprise SSDs, these 2 will be best on the endurance front when it comes to professional work like this. Plus, 10year warranty with either ;)

I was wondering on this. I really could get away with 128gb. Because it'll just be for the os, Microsoft products, quickbooks, Adobe lightroom and photoshop.

And then I'll add pictures to it and remove all in the same day. So the pictures won't be staying.

I was wondering on this. I really could get away with 128gb. Because it'll just be for the os, Microsoft products, quickbooks, Adobe lightroom and photoshop.

And then I'll add pictures to it and remove all in the same day. So the pictures won't be staying.

How many GB of pictures could you take in one day (or one trip)?
I ask because over the weekend I clicked off about 40GB of RAW images with my 60D.

You can always install your own lights, they have USB, Molex and even SATA powered LEDs that run from dirt cheap to crazy expensive. I got something like this for my system because my motherboard has a USB port next to the front panel headers, so I didn't have to use any additional cables on my PSU, but there are tons of options. Lighting can be done in any case, so lets focus on what you want for $110.

Really, the most important thing is that it holds your parts. You have an mATX board with a short PCB 750Ti picked out. Any non-slim mATX case will fit your parts. Next, cooling should be considered. Since this is going to be a work station (left at stock, correct?), one exhaust fan should do. One intake and one exhaust would be ideal, though. Finally, the way it looks should be the deciding factor. Keep in mind, that if you want lights, you can add them for very little. Do you want a side panel window? The ability to add fans to the side panel? Maybe just a plain side panel? What do you want the front to look like? How many USB ports do you want?

I would start here, and look until you find something that you love.
http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16811353062

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16811119274

Comes down to these two. I would like to have a 3.0 USB. Because I do transfer pictures to my external drive. So speed will be nice.

Then I looked for good reviews and something that came with fans.

What do you think?

How many GB of pictures could you take in one day (or one trip)?
I ask because over the weekend I clicked off about 40GB of RAW images with my 60D.

10-30 regularly. Might push 60 at mostmost (rarely) . But if I did push 60 I would delete the crap pictures or remove them and then take them off the ssd of the ones I would not be editing

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16811353062

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16811119274

Comes down to these two. I would like to have a 3.0 USB. Because I do transfer pictures to my external drive. So speed will be nice.

Then I looked for good reviews and something that came with fans.

What do you think?

I'm liking the looks of the DIYPC case!

10-30 regularly. Might push 60 at mostmost (rarely) . But if I did push 60 I would delete the crap pictures or remove them and then take them off the ssd of the ones I would not be editing

Well, just think about this. You're looking at 30-40GB for Windows + programs.
If you take 60GB of pictures, that's up to 100GB.

After formatting, a 128GB SSD comes down to more like 115GB.
Really pushing the edge there.

I'd urge you to go at least 250GB, you don't want to cut it that close.

What happens if you decide to install a game (I know you don't, just using it for a point) or a few pieces of software? You're suddenly out of space.

Also, 250GB drives typically outperform 120GB drives.

I'm liking the looks of the DIYPC case!

Well, just think about this. You're looking at 30-40GB for Windows + programs.
If you take 60GB of pictures, that's up to 100GB.

After formatting, a 128GB SSD comes down to more like 115GB.
Really pushing the edge there.

I'd urge you to go at least 250GB, you don't want to cut it that close.

What happens if you decide to install a game (I know you don't, just using it for a point) or a few pieces of software? You're suddenly out of space.

Also, 250GB drives typically outperform 120GB drives.

Thanks for liking the case. :D

And thanks for doing the math. Also the other stuff is going to add up like quick books, word, Excel, etc. So 250 is what I should be minimum.

Back