• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ERROR: ILLEGAL SUMOUT in prime 95 while over clocking FX-6300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pocholo01

Hi everyone. I'm new to overclocking. I've been doing some reading and been trying it so i could better understand the process but now i have met the brick wall and i don't know what to do now. I got a ERROR: ILLEGAL SUMOUT in prime 95. Happen 1hr thru Prime95. The more i read to my issue, the more issues i find with my mobo for having only 4+1 power phade. I'd like to try and increase the bus but i dont know anything about ram overclocking yet. So i need your help.

This is what i have:

CPU FX-6300
MOBO Asrock 990fx Extreme
GRAM skill sniper dual 4x2 1600 XMP activated in UEFI
COOLER TT Frio
CASE Raven RV03
HDD Adata P900 256GB + 1GB seagate + 160GB seagate + 500GB WD external
GPU Palit reference GTX 970 (plus +200, +400 mem , 12mv, 106% EVGA precision)
PSU Coolermaster GXII 750w
OS Windows 10

So far this is what i have done:

increase multiplier
increase voltage
change nb to 2.25 (saw this in youtube)
Core 6 state - disabled
Cool 'n' quiet - disabled
Turbo boost - disabled

My goal is, if possible to achieve a 4.7 cpu speed and have my ram speed to 1866 with my current equipment.

Your pic is to small to read but generally illegal sum out is add a bit more VCore to get stable. Also you can try setting CPU/NB to 1.25v for starters. Keep an eye on your temps in HWMONITOR 62*C package and 72*C core core Temp as displayed in HWMONITOR free.

If you click on the picture it blows up...

chances are adding a bit of vcore will help.

Last edited:
From the docs on Prime95, the Illegal Sumout Error is likely to a failure in the memory system. So, bumping up the voltage on the core would likely not have the wanted effect. Bumping up the memory voltage or lowering the memory clocks likely would have the desired effect.

Also you can try setting CPU/NB to 1.25v for starters. Keep an eye on your temps in HWMONITOR 62*C package and 72*C core core Temp as displayed in HWMONITOR free.

You can bump your Memory volts a bit too..... 1.6v but what we have found is illegal sum out just requires a bit more VCore and if this is occurring after an hour of prime I doubt you will have to add much.

okay i'll try it.

Even if i didn't touch the ram setting, i just placed it in xmp i would still increase the volts? also whats a cpu load line calibration? i change the volt of nb on top but the load line is still in default values.

load line calibration adds some VCore to counteract vdroop or voltage drop when under load. Not sure he exact settings ASRock has for your board that is something you will have to try. On my Asus board I use Ultra high. I would start at the middle setting and see how much of a voltage drop you get while under load as shown in CPUZ compared to what you have set in BIOS. If Load Line Calibration is set right you should get no voltage drop while under load or very little.

Maybe you should take a gander at this guide for the FX ...... Have a read through it will explain things allot better than I can and all in one place.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...s-gt-gt-Using-the-AMD-FX-Bulldozer-Piledriver

Thanks. I'll read the link. The settings in the LLC of my mobo are auto or you pick a volt value.

If you click on the picture it blows up...

But that is nkt start le and chances are adding a it of vcore will belp.

Ya 1.40v at 4.6ghz is a tad low. I'd go with this suggestion as long as cooling is available to do so, or back the clocks down at current v-core.

Back