• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-6300 Overclock Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

d4rk5ky

Hi everyone,

I was hoping to get some help with overclocking my FX-6300 as I have read the guides posted on these forums but am still having difficulties.

With my FX-6300 I have a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Revision 5 motherboard and a Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo Cooler.

My issue is that I can get to 4.5Ghz by increasing the multiplier to 22.5 and setting the Vcore to 1.35 V but when running Prime 95 for a few minutes I get 1 or 2 cores that fail or my system locks up. Also my temps range from 55-60C under load. I have also disabled the C1E, Cool & Quiet, C6 support and APM settings.

If you require any other information please let me know. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I was hoping to get some help with overclocking my FX-6300 as I have read the guides posted on these forums but am still having difficulties.

With my FX-6300 I have a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Revision 5 motherboard and a Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo Cooler.

My issue is that I can get to 4.5Ghz by increasing the multiplier to 22.5 and setting the Vcore to 1.35 V but when running Prime 95 for a few minutes I get 1 or 2 cores that fail or my system locks up. Also my temps range from 55-60C under load. I have also disabled the C1E, Cool & Quiet, C6 support and APM settings.

If you require any other information please let me know. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

I would be surprised if you could get stable 4.5@ 1.35V on that chip! Try bumping the voltage to 1.4V and see if that works. On the exact same CPU and mobo I had 4.4@ 1.44V stable, so let's hope you're not unlucky as I was :p

Change your Windows power plan to performance as well (if you haven't done it already.)

I would be surprised if you could get stable 4.5@ 1.35V on that chip! Try bumping the voltage to 1.4V and see if that works. On the exact same CPU and mobo I had 4.4@ 1.44V stable, so let's hope you're not unlucky as I was :p

Change your Windows power plan to performance as well (if you haven't done it already.)

Thanks,

I already tried going to 1.4 volts but my temps were to high (above 60C) :(

Thanks,

I already tried going to 1.4 volts but my temps were to high (above 60C) :(

It's ok. I was hitting 66-68 at P95 Blend test with a 212 EVO. That was the hottest it would get IIRC. In real world gaming I hardly believe you will see temps anywhere near the upper 50's. So let it run at 1.4V for at least 2 hours.

Ok so I am really not sure what I am doing haha. Itachiii I appreciate you input but could i get some others in on this?. I am a bit of a noob when it comes to this OC stuff.

I currently have it at 4.5 Ghz with my voltage set at 1.38v. My idle temp is about 35C and my max package temp (according to HWMonitor Pro) is 62C. I don't want to go for 1.4v because my temps will be to high as they recommend you keep it under 62C.

Is it safe to run like this 24/7?

Thanks.

Yes, it is. IIRC, keep the package below 72c and the core below 65c.

You will most likely hit the heat wall tbefore the voltage one (1.5v).

I used to have one that was doing 4.7GHz/1.45v on an Hyper 212. Looks like similar to yours...

Yes, it is. IIRC, keep the package below 72c and the core below 65c.

You will most likely hit the heat wall tbefore the voltage one (1.5v).

I used to have one that was doing 4.7GHz/1.45v on an Hyper 212. Looks like similar to yours...

Thank you for your input Tír na nÓg

Here is a snip from HWMonitor, can you confirm if this is alright?, I don't know, it seems high to me.

Thanks.

snip.PNG

Looks fine to me.

You can use a small fan to actively cool the VRM on your board. That helps stability with the 6 and 8 cores FX.

Looks good yes. The Hyper 212 usually gets mid 4Ghz, and that's where you are.

If you are prime stable, then you should be set. You may wish to bump your NB (North Bridge) up to 2600Mhz for some extra preformance.
Also a fan over the VRM's is a must in my books.

Everything the guys above suggested + you might want to improve your overall case airflow. That would help as well! Run prime95 for at least 2 hours keeping an eye to the temps and if it passes with no errors, then u're golden. Happy OCing :)

Thanks for your help everyone. I am currently looking at buying a liquid cooler as I would like the temps lower. My case is a Thermaltake G42 Commander and my budget is about $100 CAD. Could you guys recommend a water cooler that would do the job nicely?

Edit: This is the one I was thinking of getting.. http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181104

Thanks!

Tbh, you won't see any difference with the particular AIO. Most of these AIO's get beaten by the 212 EVO. If you could afford 200-250 you could go for the Swiftech AIO which is expandable and is much much more powerful than the Corsair. I would tell you to maybe step up a notch and get the Cryorig H7 but then again it will perform slightly better than the 212 EVO. What case fans do you have and where are they mounted?

I agree, you must go custom water loop to push higher. I started with a 240 rad (2 140mm fan size) then added a 360 rad (3 120mm fan size) to my loop. My pump is an MCP 655 from Swiftech. It is overkill for just a CPU, but heat is no longer an issue for me.

For custom watercooling I use dazmode.com or performance-pcs.com
Dazmode is located in Toronto so I always check his stock before preformance pcs. :)

Expect to sink about ~$300 into custom watercooling for your CPU. The EK Supremacy MX AMD block is awesome, ~$80 I got the 360 rad from dazmode scratch 'n' dent $100 and the pump and 240 rad I got from a member here for ~$120. I got my tubing from Dazmode, Mayhem's UltraClear 3/8" ID tubing ~$25. Primochill is at least $50 for just 10ft of it here in Canada. Shipping is insane on that stuff so I went with Mayhems from Dazmode. It's great tubing!

Thanks for your help everyone. I am currently looking at buying a liquid cooler as I would like the temps lower. My case is a Thermaltake G42 Commander and my budget is about $100 CAD. Could you guys recommend a water cooler that would do the job nicely?

Edit: This is the one I was thinking of getting.. http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181104

Thanks!

Not to change your mind but have you looked at the NH-D14 by Noctua?
Oh BTW the R5 is not the MB Revision, it's part on the model number, why Gigabyte does that I don't know :) the MB rev is near the PCI slot, it will be 1.0.

Not to change your mind but have you looked at the NH-D14 by Noctua?
Oh BTW the R5 is not the MB Revision, it's part on the model number, why Gigabyte does that I don't know :) the MB rev is near the PCI slot, it will be 1.0.

The NH-D14 got my 6300 up to 4.6GHz... Mind you that was at 1.6vcore... Water is really the best solution to AMD chips. Well that and liquid nitrogen!!! :D

Back