• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vintage score !

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alaric

I had to give a neighbor some bad news about his dad's truck and he gave me this
vintage.jpg It came with a Phenom X3 8750. He said it was a working rig when he took it out , never been OCed. Now I have to figure out what to do with it !

With that form factor it screams htpc... You know, a garage stereo Lucky find. I'm not sure if that cpu will unlock, but you might have a quad core on your hands

I don't know if this board will unlock it , but I do have an old M4A785-M that has the core unlocker. I got 3000+ MHz out of an X4 Phenom on it , so it clocks the old guys OK. I'm not familiar with the GeForce chipset on this one.

I like the idea of a music server now that I have had a chance to swish it around. I have an old dell card reader I can mod for a USB header. A half decent sound card and a big ol' HDD might be a worthwhile investment. I have a TV tuner card in my main rig I could use.....

If you're an audiophile a sound card is nice. I've found that my ears can't really tell the difference. It's got an on board optical out you could pipe right into a receiver..... Small case + big hdd = boom done :)

Unfortunately a good outboard DAC isn't in my current budget. Although there is some nice , reasonably priced Schiiit here http://schiit.com/ I know some people who swear by their gear.

I do not know why any of that hardware is necessary, but I can honestly say that I now want a DAC :) I just use the home stereo. I want good sound but I've never been able to afford audio junkie status
Nice score! But I'd hardly call like 8 year old hardware vintage. :)

Yeah 8 year old hardware is more like a fossil! :)

Yeah 8 year old hardware is more like a fossil!
Right ? LOL

My integrated amp doesn't have an onboard DAC , so digital out of the PC won't do me any good without it. The chip on the board is "meh" otherwise. My speakers are merciless , and unforgiving , of bad source material. As is my disc player. It was just a few years ago I spent $2k+ on a turntable , phono amp , and cables , cuz it whomped the Schiit out of digital noise. It has only been in the last couple years I have considered digital for non-critical listening. I shall forever be a devotee of vinyl and vacuum tubes for the good stuff. But if I can hear my favorite tunes (that I don't have on vinyl) easily and conveniently , I'm old enough to go the lazy route. LOL

Does vinyl not convert well? Seems you might be able to plug in your turn table and get your vinyl on there as well. I'm not sure if it is reasonable to convert vinyl though, because of the quality issues

To me vinyl loses something in the A>D>A conversion process. Some claim to have had great results but that was with gear well out of my budget.

Conversion software/hardware that can do the job correctly is a mint for sure. I think if the first A-D conversion were done to a lossless format you might save some quality. That vinyl sounds different with every passing day anyway right? Humidity and all that :) But theres a whole boatload of my .02

It would have to be lossless. I don't have any music files that aren't. Most are FLAC , with the earlier stuff being WAV lossless.

I'm a fan of the Cirrus Logic chips (CS 4397 is nice). Although the end product sound quality is very dependent on the back end analog output stage. I've considered a DIY solution. It would take a lot of research to find a synergistic pairing between DAC and op amps. I don't have the personal experience to know which parts work together and which ones really sing.

Back