• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sandy/Ivy Bridge E, or Devil's Canyon?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tyerker

So, it looks like my board is dead, and my CPU with it...

So, I intend to RMA the board. But with that bad news, comes opportunity. I have DDR3 RAM, and that is really my only limitation in my choices. What would you guys think of a 3930k or 4930k / X79 build vs 4790k / Z97? They are slightly slower clocked stock, but seem to compete clock for clock, and the extra cores might be nice for video/audio editing, streaming, etc. And potentially on the used market the price difference might not be awful.

Maybe my thoughts are misguided... I'd appreciate any experiences or advice you have.

I don't know if I would make a decision on mobo and CPU based off of ram ;)

If your usage justifies more cores, I'd sell your ddr3 and go with an x99 build. If you don't honestly think you need more than 4c/8t, just stick with Haswell.

I would sell DDR3 and get X99/5820K or Z170/6700K with DDR4 memory which is not so much more expensive.
These older series keep its price. Some time ago ( less than 2 months ago ) I sold 4930K and I got new 5820K for not much more ( $80 more or something near ).

SB-E is a mistake:
1. it's degrading when you keep it at higher voltages or higher temps ( it generally heats up more than IB-E or newer series )
2. It's slower than IB-E , not to mention about HW-E
3. Some other things which are less important like limited memory clock etc.

I simply see no point to invest in old technology.

If you were happy running the dual-core Pentium G3258 in your sig, why do you now need/want to replace it with an i7 with 8 to 12 threads? It seems like a quad-core i5-4670K/Z97 combo using your existing DDR3 would be more appropriate.

Sure I'm looking at some GSkill DDR4 3200 for only $67 at Newegg. Anything pricier than that isn't worth it to me. But I probably won't get it since, like most faster DDR4, it is over-volted to 1.35V and therefore essentially overclocked. I'd rather get DDR4 that runs at the default 1.2V.

I see you're running a PK5 Deluxe WiFi. Had one years ago running a Q6600 quad core. I sold it to a friend and he's still running it as his main system.

It is quite interesting that you point out that 1.35V DDR4 is essentially overclocked, seems to me that 1.2v makes more sense - why not see what it will do at stock voltage and go from there. I saw an article on Techspot that for gamers and most applications the difference between 8GB and 16GB is somewhat marginal. This in for Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

They did the test with both Dual-Channel 16GB DDR4-2666 RAM and 8GB DDR4-2666 RAM. I'm wondering if your 8GB Crucial DDR4 2400 vs GSkill DDR4 3200 query/consideration would make any "real world" performance difference?

A Q6600 on a PK5 Deluxe would be a fantastic performer back in the day. The biggest issue I encountered was with the onboard Matrix Raid. It would "drop" the drives on a semi-regular basis.:mad:

Back