• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will Ivy Bridge - E be worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
They have onboard controllers from 3rd party (asmedia to name one) to add sata ports. All x79 have a soutbridge.

I'm also patiently awaiting ivy-e or haswell-e launch. Partially for the pcie3 and partially for an updated memory controller. I have a love of ram drives and my ram unfortunately has to be run below spec (2133 instead of 2400) to maintain my 4.7Ghz overclock. I realize that the difference is probably near nil but it still bothers me. I'm also curious if the motherboard companies will release a refresh of their x79 motherboards if they do in fact launch ivy-e. If they end up skipping to haswell-e then there will for sure be a motherboard refresh because it would be on a different chipset. Either way I await patiently for my next epic build...

If there is a haswell-e it won't be on s2011.

My polite suggestion is to get over that memory thing. You over bought, a ling time ago. Nothing you can do about it. :)

I'm not concerned about the memory it can always be reused - I'd be very surprised if even x89 used DDR4 as it's nowhere to be found yet. Time will tell. I'm just looking for an excuse to upgrade really... I always am.

every 5 years, it is normal to completely redo the rig, if you care about catching up with 'performance'. I think everyone knows that. Personally I am quite happy that my x79 platform has served me since dec2011, quite long already for a e-Platform. :)

that's why i have the dilemma..
do I want to give it one last hurrah and get an IB-e?

or just save that budget, for a later x89 new purchase?

It seems to me that you might indeed see a tangible benefit since you are running triple SLI PCIe 3.0 graphics cards ;)

hmmm.. u know.

with ddr4 coming out, and now that I know.
I think I will pass on IB-e, and just save the budget for a Haswell-E grand make over in 1 year's time.

I'm not exactly known for my patience... ;) I will probably end up getting both.

in my part of the world, parts don't sell as well. :)

I don't usually sell parts - I usually build systems for folks. Much more fun and gets rid of parts that wouldn't normally sell... or ebay of course!

I think we talked about degradation is another post and it should take a min of 5+ years to show ANY signs of degradation
but can seem to find the thread

My e6550 showed degradation after two years at 3.2 ghz. Needed more voltage. I just got a 124 bsod on my 2600k at 4.8ghz after two years. Needs more voltage. They take a lot less than five years to show degradation.

My e6550 showed degradation after two years at 3.2 ghz. Needed more voltage. I just got a 124 bsod on my 2600k at 4.8ghz after two years. Needs more voltage. They take a lot less than five years to show degradation.

i thought processors like SELDOMLY die. or age. even when overclocking.

are you sayng that if a processor is starting to degrade, you apply more voltage to it? wait what.

I'm also patiently awaiting ivy-e or haswell-e launch. Partially for the pcie3 and partially for an updated memory controller. I have a love of ram drives and my ram unfortunately has to be run below spec (2133 instead of 2400) to maintain my 4.7Ghz overclock. I realize that the difference is probably near nil but it still bothers me. I'm also curious if the motherboard companies will release a refresh of their x79 motherboards if they do in fact launch ivy-e. If they end up skipping to haswell-e then there will for sure be a motherboard refresh because it would be on a different chipset. Either way I await patiently for my next epic build...

Theyre not skipping ib e. its on the roadmap.

Back