• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will Ivy Bridge - E be worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i thought processors like SELDOMLY die. or age. even when overclocking.

are you sayng that if a processor is starting to degrade, you apply more voltage to it? wait what.

Yes, of course. If its starting to degrade it will need more voltage to achieve the same speed, or in extreme cases, wont achieve that speed any more at all.

Sorry for double posting im on an ipad and i dont know how to cut and paste.

SB is known to degrade or die much easier than Ivy, although I've managed to kill two 3770k's so far :p

I'm going Haswell this time, was considering Ivy-e for multi gpu benching since I'll be getting 4 7970s but I think I'll pass.

If that is correct and haswell-e is going to be x99. Does that mean there will be a x89 to add a few upgrades over x79 when IB-e comes out? Perhaps upgraded chipset, but use the same socket? similar to p67/z68/z77?

That is what I was referring to. I was actually hoping that, since they say it is x99. That perhaps intel would release x89 with Ib-e. INstead of skipping the logical next step in their numbering pattern.

That is what I was referring to. I was actually hoping that, since they say it is x99. That perhaps intel would release x89 with Ib-e. INstead of skipping the logical next step in their numbering pattern.

They will probably release Ivy-E with an X89 chipset...seems reasonable.

According to this Techpowerup article that is exactly what they are doing:

http://www.techpowerup.com/185643/i...ge-e-and-core-i3-haswell-series-detailed.html

I hadn't even noticed the gap between X79 and X99. Usually I would... Silly brain. Happy I've waited! :)

Thanks for that. That has been a suspicion of mine. I am on the fence about these. It seems to me that there has got to be something more to sb-e or they don't make sense for consumers or Intel.

That's the funny part. For the vast majority of consumers, including those that but sb-e, it doesn't make sense.
All the quad core sb-e buyers for instance. In most cases they would have as good or better performance on SB.

That's the funny part. For the vast majority of consumers, including those that but sb-e, it doesn't make sense.
All the quad core sb-e buyers for instance. In most cases they would have as good or better performance on SB.

agreed in full.

the -e class of Intel chips hardly make sense for most users in the market.
same with quad mem.

you have got to have some INSANE video rendering work to need more than 8 threads. and even so, GPU OpenCL does better rendering work in most situation. For CPU.. I really find anything with more than 8 threads just for epeen enlargement.

at least, given current software support.

agreed in full.

the -e class of Intel chips hardly make sense for most users in the market.
same with quad mem.

you have got to have some INSANE video rendering work to need more than 8 threads. and even so, GPU OpenCL does better rendering work in most situation. For CPU.. I really find anything with more than 8 threads just for epeen enlargement.

at least, given current software support.

Fellow O/C - I have a sneaking suspicion that you are both quite right. I have tried and tried to see if I can find anything for gaming that a quad 4670K is more than what is currently needed.

Another way to put it - IF someone had built a 3930K Sandy Bridge-E say 18 months ago. It doesn't seem that one would need to upgrade until Haswell-E 18 months from now.:shrug:

It is at time highly improbable to predict these things/ideas.

Another way I look at it if one had bought a GeForce 8800 GTX in December 2006 - there wouldn't be a viable need to upgrade until - January 2008(?) or should that be 2009(?) That is factoring in the $600 price!

I know it doesn't seem to make sense.:argue: Are we really truly on a 36 month life cycle?

company market will lure you into believing you need to upgrade more often.

reality is that unless you broke something, any decent system assemebled with SB/Sb-e or GTX 6xxx/HD7xxxx series will probably be doing near top notch performance all the way through 2014.

yeah. 3-5 yrs.. is how often I want to upgrade.

For CPU.. I really find anything with more than 8 threads just for epeen enlargement.

Damn. XD, caught red handed =P

But yeah, its doubtful anyone really needs a 12 thread processor for anything a normal person does (an i5-4570k is generally the sweet spot for gaming)

I think Intel knows that people like bragging and these processors are just there for that, for benching, bragging, etc. For a niche market they could replace Xeons for mid-level multithreaded pro-program users (video editors, graphic designers/modelers, etc) at a cheaper price.

Lots of upgrades aren't worth it, from Sandy to Ivy, for example, or from Ivy to Haswell. People just like to have the newest thing. There's really no reason one would want to upgrade 3rd gen iPad to a 4th gen other than some incrememntal improvements yet I know people with both -_- who "upgraded"

Last edited:
Damn. XD, caught red handed =P

But yeah, its doubtful anyone really needs a 12 thread processor for anything a normal person does (an i5-4570k is generally the sweet spot for gaming)

I think Intel knows that people like bragging and these processors are just there for that, for benching, bragging, etc. For a niche market they could replace Xeons for mid-level multithreaded pro-program users (video editors, graphic designers/modelers, etc) at a cheaper price.

Lots of upgrades aren't worth it, from Sandy to Ivy, for example, or from Ivy to Haswell. People just like to have the newest thing. There's really no reason one would want to upgrade 3rd gen iPad to a 4th gen other than some incrememntal improvements yet I know people with both -_- who "upgraded"

Yup, but there's also resale value...if you sell on time, you "protect" your investment.
I haven't really spent a dime over my initial purchases, maybe 10 or 20 bucks, cause I always sell parts and try to get them for as cheap as possible.
(it also helps that in Argentina hardware costs 2x the US price)

Back