• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will Ivy Bridge - E be worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bluezero5

Winner, Rig-o'-the-Quarter, Fourth Quarter 2012
I usually hang out on the cooling forums, but of late I became much more interested in the next CPU upgrade from Intel. Which will be Haswell and IB-e. I run a x79 platform on a 3930k, running at 5.0ghz and some pretty high voltage; reasons for that is work related, my job and my career revolves around number crunching, and at times I got 'terabytes' worth of data to handle. I have already started to use my GTX680 SLI into openCL solutions, which helps alot.

now, here are the stats of IB-e: (credit to wikipedia)

ibe.png

question is, is it worth the upgrade?

my 3930k runs at 3.2Ghz stock standard. I run at 5.0Ghz, which is a 56.25% OC. (thanks intel!)
and 4930k runs at 3.4Ghz stock standard. 6.25% increase on stock.. given OC will be similar, I will assume I can go 150% ... meaning.. 5.1Ghz...

the largest possible benefit is really just with the increase in quad RAM capabilities, but I am already using 2400Mhz RAM.. so I 'suspect' the only improvement I will be seeing will be on the CPU freq.

anyone here sees any good reason to upgrade when it comes?
or should I be targetting the 4960X at least for a worthy upgrade?

The X series chips are generally pointless. Especially since you can buy K series chips that are nearly identical.

If the X chip ends up with more cores then maybe, but if not then just grab the K.

The difference between Sandy Bridge and Ivy bridge should be about the same difference as their enthusiast segment counterparts. Don't think anything coming out this year would be a worthy upgrade to a 3930K.

Imo, it would only be worth it if IB-E performs better per clock than haswell, and that's unlikely. TDP is the same as the SB-E counterparts. You've already mentioned RAM, and pcie 3.0 is also a non issue. Only thing left is the ops-per-clock. Since intel is using the 4000 series numeration, maybe they think IB-E is comparable to haswell, but real world numbers need to be crunched first. Wait for the reviews. We expect, though, only a IB size boost. Not worth it. Haswell size boost might be worth it, but that boost is not probable.

Another reason you might look at getting a new CPU is for the fact of degradation from running the CPU at such high clocks/voltage.

Just a thought
smiley-2cents.gif

Another reason you might look at getting a new CPU is for the fact of degradation from running the CPU at such high clocks/voltage.

Just a thought
smiley-2cents.gif

that day may come. :)

lucky so far, degradation has been just minimal after 18 months. :)
(darn.. is it 18 mths already..)

I think we talked about degradation is another post and it should take a min of 5+ years to show ANY signs of degradation
but can seem to find the thread

I think we talked about degradation is another post and it should take a min of 5+ years to show ANY signs of degradation
but can seem to find the thread

haha, I will settle for 3 yrs !! :)

I don't really need a high-end workstation (I guess the school dual E5-2667 server and the one with a Tesla K20 should be enough for very demanding stuff), so I'm wondering how the 4770k will compare to the 4820k.

Last edited:
if you are gaming only 6 cores won't help you much
4 cores really all you need, and given what we are seeing 4820 is gonna be quite good I think.

let me help you stay Objective.

NO. not worth it.
not unless your 3930k degrades.

that being said, IB-e might be end of the line for x79 mobo.
so there might be not much there to sought after anyway.

I hate to answer a question with a question, but, was the move to 2600K to 3770K worth it? Most would say no, and its rumored performance is just that, since it is the same, SB-e to IB-e, essentially.

I hate to answer a question with a question, but, was the move to 2600K to 3770K worth it? Most would say no, and its rumored performance is just that, since it is the same, SB-e to IB-e, essentially.

yeah.. I think I sub-consciously know that.
was kinda hope that someone can talk me into buying. haha

The Z87 chipset came out with 6 SATA 6Gbps ports. Will the IB-E be upgraded to match? It currently supports only 2 SATA-6 ports.

I dont think the specifications have been released yet... but I doubt there will be any changes in that light. You have more than 2 SSDs to utilize the bandwidth SATA3(6Gbps) offers?

Back