• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade to PII 965 (sangria)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sangria

Registered
You should have no problems Ocing the 965 Be on that board, here's a link you may want to read.

Hello. I am about to get all the parts that I ordered today. I have original P6230Y Hp desktop with oem board (H-RS880-uATX (Aloe)) and have
AMD Phenom II X4 810. I upgraded the graphic card to Asus HD7870 a year ago without a issue! And I ordered
AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE with FX8350 cooler which is the same copper heat sink with upgraded fan (cooler and quitter).

I never done OC in my life but I can understand the point how to OC after making some researches. Only the concern is I never seen someone done an OC with my motherboard and according to the HP website the board itself doesn't support the OC from bios itself. I removed the CPU and cooler so I cant turn on to see the bios right now! But Amd has a good software to do stuff on windows and it is called AMD Overdrive.

I need your help to OC my system with safely. I totally understand you can increase the voltage 5% and increase the Multiplier 1 by 1 to see the reaction of my cpu but there is several people out increased their cpu from 3.4 to 4.2 without an issue simply increasing the multiplier to 21x200 and the voltage about 1,504 or something like and temperature increase max 55F, but most likely they were using MSI motherboard which supports better voltage options than my Aloe has! Btw I had originally 8GB ram and 2x2GB is burned out somehow , I ordered for 4x4GBand it is on the way Also got the Samsung SSD HDD for faster process

So what do you guys suggest for my system?

My first instinct is to replace the motherboard. I just have a feeling it will really disappoint you if you don't.

Thank you for the quick reply! Why do you think that? And which MB are you preffering for my system? Thank you!

First of all do you have any options in BIOS for raising multi or voltage. Memory settings etc..
It's just a very cheap board and kind of old. Might just crap out if you try to OC. I wouldn't believe anyone who says they run a 965 at 4.2 on that board either,
For a recomendation I need to know if something bigger than uATX will fit in that case

Ok so I have 2 option. Which one do you think it will be fitting my needs with 4x4gb non ecc unbuffered rams and HD7870 Asus graphic card with TX650W Power supply. And I will get 965BE with the cooler today!

1- MSI 970A-G46-R AM3+
2- Gigabyte SKT-AM3 78LMT-USB3

Don't get 4x4Gb of ram either. You don't need it and it will only cause issue with the CPU OC. Let me have a look at the boards

One board is small the other is ATX which one will fit in the case. I'd stay away from MSI too.
If you can fit a full ATX board in the case I can make some suggestions.

Well the site says ATX, if you look inside does the board look small. I have to wonder about the PSU as well. How old is this system.

System is about 4 years old. And yes it is not the small boards it is ATX size board. It is not Compaq size. PSU is already upgraded to CorsAir TX650

Well the board you initially quoted as being stock for the system is uATX which is small that's why I asked.

OK now we have that out of the way. It is a uATX and looks like that's all that would fit. If it were me, I would start from scratch. But I'll see what I can find in that form factor

Very few options really, that Giga board you linked up earlier or this ASUS http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131942
That PSU I wouldn't trust either when Overclocking you will be pulling a lot more power. Those OEM power supplies are barely enough usually and always cheap cheap cheap. If a PSU fails it can take a whole system with it. Then the whole PC is nothing more than a paper weight.

Very few options really, that Giga board you linked up earlier or this ASUS http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131942
That PSU I wouldn't trust either when Overclocking you will be pulling a lot more power. Those OEM power supplies are barely enough usually and always cheap cheap cheap. If a PSU fails it can take a whole system with it. Then the whole PC is nothing more than a paper weight.

Thank you for the advice. As I told you my PSU is not stock. It is upgraded and it is pretty strong! I will look at the asus as well

Sorry must have missed that somewhere. I see it now in the first post. That's good. If you choose to stay with that case then you're stuck with a small form board. I'd likely take the Giga over the AUS just for the HS on the power section.

I just bought: ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 AM3+ AMD 760G + SB710 USB 3.0 HDMI uATX AMD Motherboard. It is also good for FX series.

If you think of upgrading to FX in the future then I would cancel that order and get a new case with space for more fans and a bigger motherboard. Then get a motherboard with double the power section that one has. It doesn't even have a HS on it. The FX are power hungry and hot running just FYI

I am not planning to upgrade to FX anytime soon and thinking that 965 with oc will do the job for a while my personal opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

so u think I should cancel the order and get the Giga now?

I already told you what I would do. I would upgrade the case and board. That would leave you more options in the future if you wanted to upgrade to FX or even a 6 core Thuban

It depends on how much extra I will pay for the new case and the board u re talking about! Can you tell me your options so I can look at them?

Back