• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade to PII 965 (sangria)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well it's just kind of slow and won't be that viable when and if you upgrade. CL9 at 1333 is not good. I have DDR2 that runs better than that

So what is the downside of using this rams? If it is going to damage the system, i am ready to refuse the package... Timing says CL9. Voltage: 1.5
Cheap, low-end or value-oriented memory tends to not perform as well as better quality memory, even at the same speed/frequency and timings. Lower end memory tends to not be optimized for maximum performance at it's rated speeds and timings, normally they are only guaranteed to run at their rated speed and timings, but not necessarily to run at any specific performance level.

This is somewhat because value memory tends to have no heatspreader on the memory chips, and so will tend to overheat more quickly under load than higher-quality memory sticks that do have heatspreaders on the memory chips. Though it's less of a problem these days as DDR3 runs cooler than DDR2 and the original DDR did, as they require less voltage to run (among other improvements).

Also, 1333MHz DDR3 with a CAS Latency of CL9 is pretty slow these days. DDR3-1600/PC3-12800 at CL9 or CL8 would be a better choice (Phenom II CPU's don't tend to be able to support speeds beyond 1600MHz, so there isn't much point in buying faster speeds than that to go with a Phenom II CPU (unless you plan to use it with some other CPU in the future that supports faster memory speeds)). Finding DDR3-1600 in CL's below 8 is unlikely these days, unless you buy them on the used market on ebay or a forum like this one. (That was how I found my DDR3-1600 CL7 sticks, long after manufacturers stopped producing DDR3 in tight timings.)

Oh, and yes the GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-USB3 and ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 aren't very good motherboards. With only a 4+1 VRM section they're really only good for running CPU's with a 95W TDP at most. A 125W TDP chip can run in a board like this, but it's going to throttle back to a slower frequency when the system is under heavier loads to keep from overheating the VRM's in the power section, and overclocking on a board like that definitely wouldn't be advisable or recommended. Or the system may simply shut down when you attempt to use it for a resource-intensive task with a 125W TDP CPU in the system (as a couple of my motherboards did when I put a heavy load on the system).

The Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0 you purchased is a MUCH better choice as it actually has a good power section and really can support a 125W TDP chip like the Phenom II X4 965 BE.

Last edited:
Oh boy! so if i get 8GB 1600 instead of 16GB is that going to make too much of a difference for OCing the 965? And i would like to get your opinion for the choise of these rams. And i really appreciated your time and comment over my situation. Cheers

That's all up to you but 2x4 1600 will do you better that 4x4 1333.

Sangria unless you're using around 85% of 8 Gb of ram there is no benefit to having more ram. Those sticks Johan linked are really good as far as timings/speed for the PII chips.

Thanks alot guys. So when the pieces arrice we will do the OC all together, deal??

Sure thing. The 965 is a breeze. Can you post a SS of the CPUz main tab so we can see the revision. That'll make a difference for the outcome

Use the in forum hosting tool when you get a chance, some people can't click on outside links for security reasons. I think that is a C3 stepping which is good. Here's how to host.
Capture4.PNG

Last edited:
I was on the phone that's why I couldn't see the attachment button. Let me upgrade the picture :) Screenshot_2016-03-11-19-36-54-1.png

According to the description HDZ965FBK4DGM M makes this cpu C3

Last edited:

+1

Looks good. Didn't know they were still selling CAS 7 memory kits. Last time I checked I couldn't find anything below CAS 9 hardly.

Looks like a higher capacity version of what I'm running for my DDR3 benchmarking memory. G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBXM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231430

Those might be able to run with tighter timings than they're rated at if they're anything like the lower-capacity kit I'm running. Though as with many things, your mileage may vary, and they could have completely different memory chips than my kit (and probably do). Mine are rated at 7-8-7-24-1T, but I actually run them at 6-8-6-20-1T though still at the stock voltage.

My case is arrived today. I am looking for led strips with the remote control. So I didn't like the one which is specifically made for the cases. I would like to use the remote control led that I also used for my canoe. All I need is something like a converter from 4 pin to generic adapter head. Does anyone know something like that?

adapter.jpg

Here is the led strip that I will use for the case :
ptumno1415593760239.jpg

Here is the picture of the case :

20160315_175611.jpg 20160315_182138.jpg 20160315_182145.jpg

I also ordered 3 more NZXT 120mm fan for the upper part. So it will be 7 fan cooling the case!

Back