• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"Cortana, you're fired!"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Here's the text from the story.

Microsoft can pursue its legal challenge against the US government, a federal court has ruled, in a case that the software giant argues that government gag orders are unconstitutional.

The judge said Microsoft made a reasonable argument that gag orders, issued by government agencies to prevent the company from telling the customer of an investigation, violates its constitutional rights to free speech.

US government pushed tech firms to hand over source code
US government pushed tech firms to hand over source code

If source code gets into the wrong hands, the damage would be incalculable.

Read More
Judge James Robart upheld those First Amendment rights in his ruling Thursday, but declined its Fourth Amendment argument against unreasonable searches and seizures, saying that overturning the precedent would need to go to a higher court.

"Microsoft alleges that indefinite nondisclosure orders implicate its First Amendment rights because the orders impinge on its right to speak about governmental affairs and the public's right to access search warrants," said Robart in his ruling.

Microsoft brought the case in April last year, arguing that the government should not be allowed to prevent a company from telling a customer when their data has been turned over to investigators.

These gag orders can be used in cases where national security is at risk, such as terrorism investigations, but are often used for low-level cases and non-national security related matters.

According to the briefs filed by dozens of US organizations -- including Apple, Fox News, Twitter, thousands of gag orders were for an "unlimited or indefinite duration," meaning the companies may never be allowed to disclose the orders to anyone.

In Microsoft's case, it was in possession of almost 2,600 separate secrecy orders.

"We're pleased this ruling enables our case to move forward toward a reasonable solution that works for law enforcement and ensures secrecy is used only when necessary," said Brad Smith, Microsoft's chief legal officer in a statement.

A spokesperson for the Justice Dept. was not immediately available.

- - - Updated - - -

Link works in both threads this link is in. :)

I'm also on my phone..but using wireless.

I didn't know it had already been posted somewhere. I don't want to toss out duplications all over OCF, but if it's in "that" Windows 10 thread I can't get in there.

It seems like they are trying to win some points with the tinfoil hat crowd by fighting big govt. Or maybe just trying to compete with the way Apple is protecting their customers. Whatever they are up to, it was an interesting article :)

It appears that they have 2600 separate "We'll look anytime we want with no good reason and you can't tell anyone we're doing it" orders. I can see where that would give even Data Mining, Inc. (M$) reason to back up and punt. LOL

So my Windows 7 installation was getting bloated as Windows systems do over time (running out of space on my SSD anyway) so I used one of my Server 2016 Datacenter licenses. Drivers installed fine for my Maxi 8 Hero although some shoehorning was neccesary everything seems to work perfectly (using Windows 10X64 drivers)

Apparently it does support DX12. No Cortana, no Windows explorer advertising, nothing. It's fantastic. Gets the same or better FPS on every game ive tested so far (Anno 2070, Battlefield 1, Audiosurf 2, Europa Univeralis IV...)

Even runs my favorite lightweight music program that's so old it supports NT 4/95/98 lol. Because screw itunes using 2GB of RAM.

Hooray! Now just to try to fill up its limit of 2TB RAM lmao.

T0btYjI.png

Well, thank god for DreamSpark but not everyone is a student =P. Normally Server Datacenter costs like $2k

Also just like Windows 10 the search constantly misses things. Ugh. I miss Rover from Windows XP.

Well, thank god for DreamSpark but not everyone is a student =P. Normally Server Datacenter costs like $2k

Also just like Windows 10 the search constantly misses things. Ugh. I miss Rover from Windows XP.

It does I know, don't use it anyways though, it's a fine OS and still funny people wigged out about the Privacy invasion junk. It's to me same like 7 skipped 8/8.1 nightmare but streamlined few more function and ergonomic but it's quick like that, turn everything off disabling services keep it clean and quick etc.

Ok i need to know, apart from Metro why are people dissing 8.1 ? it's better in every way then 7. 8 yes crash fest, but 8.1 is a thing of beauty, smooth, fast, no extra junks. So why ?

Ok i need to know, apart from Metro why are people dissing 8.1 ? it's better in every way then 7. 8 yes crash fest, but 8.1 is a thing of beauty, smooth, fast, no extra junks. So why ?
I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't like 8/8.1/10 because they dont seem to be a substantial improvement over Win7. There just do not seem to be any gains that justify a whole new OS, much less being forced onto it.

Let me put this another way. If I did no already own Win7, I would probably go with the latest version, but since that latest version only offers subtle differences.... why would anyone choose 8/8.1/10 in light of all the tin-foil hat privacy issues as well as the general buggy nature of the updates and drivers (so I gather from light reading anyway)? Just my. 02

But 8.1 doesn't have the same privacy issues then 10 (or at least nowhere near in the same amount), a single free program like Spybot Anti-Beacon will fix telemetry, no other changes needed. I have had literally zero problems with drivers over multiple installations and only recently had problems with updates because M$ is apparently trying to do the same with 8.1 that it did with 7. If you have to pay for it, yes it's a problem but if you can upgrade for free or get a free copy on a new rig there is no reason to downgrade to 7.

As to improvements, you could argue that 10 isn't a substancial upgrade from 7 but the slight "upgrades" are there and they are noticeable. From 7 to 8.1 you can "feel" it, faster, smoother, more secure, uses less resources, and more importantly isn't a P.I.T.A. to install on new rigs :p

But 8.1 doesn't have the same privacy issues then 10 (or at least nowhere near in the same amount), a single free program like Spybot Anti-Beacon will fix telemetry, no other changes needed.
I am willing to partially concede this point. the EULA itself has privacy issues beyond telemety and hs been getting worse with each new OS, but what you said is true.

I have had literally zero problems with drivers over multiple installations and only recently had problems with updates because M$ is apparently trying to do the same with 8.1 that it did with 7.
TO be fair all the problems I had with Win10 were soon after its official release, and had little to do with drivers. After I took that laptop back to Win7 though, I was later forcefully upgraded (Boooo!), and noticed that all the issues I had were fixed. I will call myself guilty of listening to the internet with my driver bias. So you are correct again... barely :)

As to improvements, you could argue that 10 isn't a substancial upgrade from 7 but the slight "upgrades" are there and they are noticeable. From 7 to 8.1 you can "feel" it, faster, smoother, more secure, uses less resources, and more importantly isn't a P.I.T.A. to install on new rigs :p
Ive run Win10 for a few weeks only and 8/8.1 for less (because I really like 7 I guess) so I havent put any effort into tuning it the way that I have with 7, but I wold think that the improvements that you can "feel" are simply what users in Win7 do for tuning their system (but set as default in Win10). I wouldnt bet on it, but my gut says there isnt much new "under the hood " in the newer OS's and that gives me a hearty dislike for M$ and their OS without having to give it a real chance. The big shame is that I will have to man up and use these OS's sooner or later, or else get MUCH better with *nix

TO be fair all the problems I had with Win10 were soon after its official release, and had little to do with drivers. After I took that laptop back to Win7 though, I was later forcefully upgraded (Boooo!), and noticed that all the issues I had were fixed. I will call myself guilty of listening to the internet with my driver bias. So you are correct again... barely :)

Not barely, i'm only speaking for myself here, i can categorically say i have had zero driver issues so far with 8.1 and multiple with 10 on account of nVidia/chipset/USB :p

Ive run Win10 for a few weeks only and 8/8.1 for less (because I really like 7 I guess) so I havent put any effort into tuning it the way that I have with 7, but I wold think that the improvements that you can "feel" are simply what users in Win7 do for tuning their system (but set as default in Win10). I wouldnt bet on it, but my gut says there isnt much new "under the hood " in the newer OS's and that gives me a hearty dislike for M$ and their OS without having to give it a real chance. The big shame is that I will have to man up and use these OS's sooner or later, or else get MUCH better with *nix

I will do an EarthDog here and state that the security upgrades alone should be worth it, let alone everything else. To be totally honest the only thing i really miss about 7 is how easily we can change its appearance, my 8.1 won't accept the UX patcher for some reason. Sad panda as i really liked the Watercolor style (looked like tweaked flat classic (very fast)) but not really a reason to go back ;)

watercolor_4_3_visual_style_by_alecu222-d8drbqm.jpg

I'll chime in with the most obvious, but I've yet to see anyone bring it up.

The reason Windows 7 has so many more users then 8.1, has to do with it's longevity and acceptance, as well as the fact that 8 and 8.1 were not free upgrades for the vast majority. Why pay for a something that for all intent and purpose, is nothing more then a minor upgrade that when initially released, was also something of a downgrade with it's touch interface/UI?

I'll chime in with the most obvious, but I've yet to see anyone bring it up.

The reason Windows 7 has so many more users then 8.1, has to do with it's longevity and acceptance, as well as the fact that 8 and 8.1 were not free upgrades for the vast majority. Why pay for a something that for all intent and purpose, is nothing more then a minor upgrade that when initially released, was also something of a downgrade with it's touch interface/UI?

If you have to pay for it, yes it's a problem but if you can upgrade for free or get a free copy on a new rig there is no reason to downgrade to 7.

Many people upgrade their rigs right about the time a new OS comes along (shady advertising and such) so they get the OS for free, many more use pirated copies of Windows, others bring it home from school or work. Hell even 100% legit OEM copies are easy to get if you know have a friend that works with computers in a shop/retailer. In our current day and time i would think that very few people (average joe) would actually fork out £220 for Windows as a stand-alone product without something else to sweeten the deal unless they know absolutely nothing about computers.

https://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msuk/en_GB/cat/Windows/categoryID.70034700

Clipboard02.jpg

Back