• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Torin3's GTX 1080 Ti (FE)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Tue Mar 14 05:10:20 2017
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| NVIDIA-SMI 378.13 Driver Version: 378.13 |
|-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
| GPU Name Persistence-M| Bus-Id Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
| Fan Temp Perf Pwr:Usage/Cap| Memory-Usage | GPU-Util Compute M. |
|===============================+======================+======================|
| 0 GeForce GTX 980 Ti Off | 0000:01:00.0 On | N/A |
| 41% 58C P2 208W / 260W | 343MiB / 6077MiB | 94% Default |
+-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
| 1 Graphics Device Off | 0000:02:00.0 Off | N/A |
| 47% 80C P2 229W / 250W | 253MiB / 11172MiB | 93% Default |

running a bit warm; compared to my MSI stock cards ... time for the coolbits-scripts again

Let us know how the PPD is working out. You can:

1. Post the PPD when the WU is about 50% complete for various projects
2. Use the Handy-Dandy JrClocker app. This will record the Actual PPD for each folding slot as well as the current estimated PPD

Not too bad ...

sQTTxR.jpg

and added coolbits with 66% fan to get the temps down bit

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| NVIDIA-SMI 378.13 Driver Version: 378.13 |
|-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
| GPU Name Persistence-M| Bus-Id Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
| Fan Temp Perf Pwr:Usage/Cap| Memory-Usage | GPU-Util Compute M. |
|===============================+======================+======================|
| 0 GeForce GTX 980 Ti Off | 0000:01:00.0 On | N/A |
| 44% 64C P2 242W / 260W | 376MiB / 6077MiB | 91% Default |
| 1 Graphics Device Off | 0000:02:00.0 On | N/A |
| 66% 65C P2 223W / 250W | 272MiB / 11172MiB | 93% Default |

But then the FE gets noisy. :mad:

Last edited:
Well, AMT was very nice and offered me his Ti, so I canceled my back order at the Egg. I should have it by Friday if UPS doesn't have any glitches and I'll be folding by Friday night. I don't have to make any hardware mods on my case to fit the 3rd card in with the riser cable.

Well, it is out for delivery.

I'm seriously considering leaving work early to get it set up. Maybe when I get a delivered notice.

:)

The thing that is worrying me is this will be the first test of the PLX chip on this board running 3 video cards. Got my fingers crossed.

Until the spouse finds out...

:p

Paid for entirely with Christmas gift money, and Constable earnings. :rofl::muahaha:

I even told her as I was leaving that the package was going to be arriving today.

Plus with our new roomie moving in this weekend, I'll have justification for a higher power bill. :muahaha:

I should be able to get at least 2 more Ti cards out of that alone!

Good news:

Card arrived safely!
The board see the card on the 16x riser cable and installed just fine!

The bad news:

I'm going to have to mod the station a bit. The card in lying on it side on some Rubik's Cubes because the riser cable makes it just a little too tall to screw down into the station. I figure a couple of uprights and a cross piece and I should be good to go and I can run 4 cards with this station.

The weird news:

I seem to be getting about the same speed out of a 1070, a 1080, and a 1080 Ti on the same family WU.

10496 (186, 3, 49)
Base Credit 12183
Estimated Credit 90091
Estimated PPD 654108
Estimate TPF 1 min 59 sec

10496 (176, 6, 49)
Base Credit 12183
Estimated Credit 87251
Estimated PPD 593583
Estimated TPF 2 mins 07 sec

1080 Ti
10496 (170, 5, 58)
Base Credit 12183
Estimated Credit 90209
Estimated PPD 654965
Estimate TPF 1 mins 59 secs

That seems to be pretty low for was it should be able to do.

A problem with the riser cable maybe?

getting enough PCI lanes ? Can you try switch the slot and run the card first alone ? I got around 1m20s with that card (but only two cards on a i7-2600S); how many frames you got before the PPD estimation ?

getting enough PCI lanes ? Can you try switch the slot and run the card first alone ? I got around 1m20s with that card (but only two cards on a i7-2600S); how many frames you got before the PPD estimation ?

That was about 20 frames in. And testing with GPU-Z it says I'm 8x 3.0 speed. I'm considering switching the cards around, but I'm going to at least wait until this first batch of WUs is done. The 1080 is at 16x 3.0 speed, and the 1070, which is running the fastest frames right now is also at 8x 3.0 speed.

Well, with the Ti in slot 1, I get between 900K and 1.3M with it seeming to run around 1M most of the time I check.

And the riser cable seems to cut the production of whatever card it is used on in about half. Ti runs about 600K and a 1070 runs about 300K down to as low as 100K.

I've got the Ti and a 1070 running on my home system now getting about 1.7M PPD and I took the 1080 to work and replaced one of the 970s in a dual 970 system and that one is now getting about 900K ppd between a 1080 and a 970.

I may try the 970 I pull in this system without using a riser, but I don't think it will work on a heat dissipation basis. The cards put out just too much heat when folding. Which is a disappointment.

I've got 3 system that I can run 2 cards each in. If I convert them all to Ti cards, that would be about 6 1/2 M ppd. Beyond that, I'll have to find a justification to run more machines. But that would still put me in the top 25 worldwide producers. At least until the Ti cards make their effect felt. Maybe the top 50 a year down the road.

Well, good new is it looks like that at least for the moment, as long as I don't use the risers, I can run 3 cards in this system. I put the 970 in front of the 1070. I've got the 1070 running with the fan around 90% and the 1070 runs at about 77°C with peak temp around 79°C. The 970 in front of it has its fan at about 70% and run at about 57°C. The whole system seems to run at about an average 1.9M PPD.

So, if I can figure out the cooling, I can probably get close to 4M PPD out of it with 4 1080 Ti cards. I don't want to go full on watercooling though.

So, the question now is, do I go full on water cooling, or do I go with something like EVGA Hydro-copper. And what model Ti cards should I get? Currently I have 1 Nvidia FE card. I've got a 1070 EVGA that I can step-up with in the next month or so. The only model available right now is the EVGA FE card.

So, the question now is, do I go full on water cooling, or do I go with something like EVGA Hydro-copper. And what model Ti cards should I get? Currently I have 1 Nvidia FE card. I've got a 1070 EVGA that I can step-up with in the next month or so. The only model available right now is the EVGA FE card.

I get the 1080 Ti Aorus on Thursday. I think that's the best Ti to come out so far as far as cooling goes. It was in stock earlier today. Whatever you do, don't get the 1080 Ti Armor. It has worse cooling than the FE.

Back