• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

stolen file association.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kendan

Senior Punk
Playcenter2 has stolen my mp3 association and will not let go.:mad: I can not find where to disable maintain file assoc. Any help would be appreciated. Playcenter2 came with soundblaster.

I think but am not sure that if you right click on a file while holding the shift key that it will give you the open with option and you can choose what to open the file with and associate it if you want.

Hugo 59 said:
I think but am not sure that if you right click on a file while holding the shift key that it will give you the open with option and you can choose what to open the file with and associate it if you want.

I already tried that it did not work. Playcenter2 is set to maintain file associations and I can not find the menu to turn it off. I have an e-mail in to creative. I was just hoping someone would know where it is.

Malpine Walis said:
You do not need the shift key. Just right click and go to open with...

As stated above I already tried that. What I need to know is where to change the settings in Playcenter2. Thanks for the help so far guys.

I got winamp working by downloading and reinstalling but I had to choose for it to maintain file association. So I would still like to know the answer to my previous question.

u probably know this: there r some softwares which will check for a default status for the file associations. perhaps there is some option for it not to check if it is the default application for the files...

oTTO said:
u probably know this: there r some softwares which will check for a default status for the file associations. perhaps there is some option for it not to check if it is the default application for the files...

That is what I am looking for. The place in playcenter2 to uncheck the box for maintaining file associations. I don't know how it got selected. I went to sleep and when I woke up playcenter was associated with all my mp3's and winamp wouldn't play any mp3's.

if you looked for already its possible there is no option kendan. in fact a lot of bundled softwares is not so good. they use to miss a lot of options, most just like this one (for the advanced users).

oTTO said:

if you looked for already its possible there is no option kendan. in fact a lot of bundled softwares is not so good. they use to miss a lot of options, most just like this one (for the advanced users).

I am sure when I installed my soundblaster software there was an option and I made sure I did not select maintain file associations. But I am confused as to how it decided on its own to take over the associations:confused: Well it is working now that I updated my winamp.:D I also installed the latest SB drivers.

kendan said:
Playcenter2 has stolen my mp3 association and will not let go.:mad: I can not find where to disable maintain file assoc. Any help would be appreciated. Playcenter2 came with soundblaster.

I had the same problem, I gave in and uninstalled the creative package and drivers.

when re-installed tick driver only option. so no playcenter2 to mess you about,

kendan said:

you still have the problem or it's solved ?...........i have the solution, may i tell you?

go into "setting" button will do it

Re: Re: stolen file association.

Softwebdev said:

you still have the problem or it's solved ?...........i have the solution, may i tell you?

go into "setting" button will do it

Where is the settings button in playcenter2?

I think you should:

1. Open My Computer

2. Go to Folder Options under Tools (if you're on win ME) or View (I think) if you're in 98.

3. click on File Types tab

4. find the MP3 extension

5. on the bottom half of the screen, where it says "Open With", click on Change.

6. Select the program that you want to open MP3 files with.

hope this helps!
:)

Back