• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1 Terabyte Hard Drive Recommendation please 1TB 1 TB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
For home, for Nehalem in 2-3 weeks.

Any model numbers to avoid? Any 1TB models that stand out?

(7200RPM and no RAID) Thank you.

People saying these new Seagates are not as good as the old ones used to be is what made me start the thread in the first place.

Doing a 1TB review search seems the mention Samsung 1TB as being better but I need to check with you guys what the truth is.

I've just bought a couple of the new Western Digital RE3 1Tb drives... haven't had a chance to do anything with them yet.. (They're bound for a NAS box so I won't be able to bench them or anything) but they seem to be well spec'd. I wouldn't rule them out.

People saying these new Seagates are not as good as the old ones used to be is what made me start the thread in the first place.

Doing a 1TB review search seems the mention Samsung 1TB as being better but I need to check with you guys what the truth is.
My research says the same thing. I see many of the reviews commneding the desktop performance of Samsung against the other 1TB drives and it happens to be the cheapest at Newegg, so I've put the order in for one myself. I guess if you want to pay extra for a longer warranty on the Seagate, but less performance, it's the way to go.

Oh good, confirmation. All right, yeah, you mean 5yr vs. 3yr warranty? Meh, unless there's word of unusual Samsung failure rates...

Does Samsung have more than one model for 1TB?

It appears Samsung for Home and Seagate for Server.

WD somewhat quieter but worse performer.

Hitachi? Both Samsung and Seagate appear to be overall better than Hitachi.

Oh good, confirmation. All right, yeah, you mean 5yr vs. 3yr warranty? Meh, unless there's word of unusual Samsung failure rates...

Does Samsung have more than one model for 1TB?
Yeah, I've seen another, a UI or something. The UJ, as shown in your chart is the one to get.

Yeah UI is the 5400 RPM version.

UJ is the faster 7200 RPM model.

It's not like average user is going to notice a huge difference. They are all fine drives.

But tests show that Samsung is a little better than others for home and Seagate appears to be the choice for servers.

Western Digital is the quietest, but it scores a little lower on performance tests than others.

It's not like average user is going to notice a huge difference. They are all fine drives.

But tests show that Samsung is a little better than others for home and Seagate appears to be the choice for servers.

Western Digital is the quietest, but it scores a little lower on performance tests than others.

Actually the only drives I would buy would be the seagate (4 platter) w/ 5 year warranty or the WD caviar black (3 platter) w/ 5 year warranty. The WD would give you better performance becuase of it more dense platters but the seagate is just as good and cheaper if you're only going to use it for storage.

OK, now if you could just expand as to why.

Since the only thing I have to go on is that chart, which shows Samsung to be the one to get, unless you're talking about the warranty as the primary criteria?

It appears Samsung for Home and Seagate for Server.

WD somewhat quieter but worse performer.

Hitachi? Both Samsung and Seagate appear to be overall better than Hitachi.

The Hitachi looks like it does better than the Seagate in the desktop applications.

Back