• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Got my Asus M5A99X evo up and running!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
as many asus boards as i have that worries me quite a bit.
I have 7 asus boards maybe as they fail it's time to migrate.

Generically speaking, no motherboard company does good all the time doing RMA's. I actually had the opportunity to see the insides of RMA for DFI a number of years ago and there was a lot of stuff going on. So I know there is room for crap to fall into the cracks.

I got the emails that went to the "wherever" place it is that most have to email to start an RMA with a motherboard company. Then I bumped the process to the next step and the boards begin a journey thru a maze before the board ever returns to the customer.

No matter how good or effecient the process was designed to be there were issues. Out of the many RMAs that went thru my hands I only received about 4 attaboys over 6.5 years. The attaboys though came from people that really had their act together and had been thru the RMA system elsewhere and were duly impressed with how DFI had managed their RMA. Thru those 6.5 years, I would have to estimate that 97% of the people were satisfied with the RMA process, but you can be assured that percent that had or felt they had issues voiced it to the heavens. I know because I managed DFI's motherboard forum for the 3.5 years they had it in place.

Personally, I have had only 3 RMA experiences to date. One in particular was with the manufacturer themselves. It was a hard drive company and I had all the testing I could do done and in order before I contacted them. At the first level they wanted to know the usual beginning with who, what and why. Had it covered. Level two sent me to do some more testing. Then level three sent me some tests by email which I did and reported back with. Level three sent me two sets of drives to test and with the original set I bought that is three sets of drives. Enter Level 4 and I had my 2.5 sheets of legal paper with every step they had had me walk thru and so I received a check for the drives and the original shipping and call tags for any other shipping to get the drives back to that particular hard drive manufacturer.

If I remember correctly, I told my wife it took me an actual 26 hours of effort to get the relief I received in the end, which was all my money back. Figured on what I made hourly at the time, I still lost about $110.00 but I felt good. Hehehe. Yeah right. To this day I have never said good or bad about that company. I have told the story about 4 times as you see it written as above. I only had the pretty positive results because I had an idea of how the RMA process works. Dot every I and cross every T and yet we know there are still failures and always will be.

The other two RMA experiences that I have had were handled by NewEgg and they were very positive experiences. But they gave me the shaft on another type situation last year and I now check each purchase I make to see if I can get a comparable price elsewhere. That one shafting without excuse has left that taste in my mouth. I must admit though that in that shafting situation, I never took it to level 2 or 3 which if I had done so, might well have had a good outcome, but I did not. I guess my bad to date.

So there is every sort of bad or less than stellar RMA situation out there. I suspect it is the nature of the beast. We just never hear of the ones that seem good. The actual end result is almost always dependent on the levels of BS we are willing to go upward through to reach a more satisfactory outcome. Then it becomes a case of is it worth it? In "trents" case there was a humongous dropping of the ball for sure.
RGone...

I agree with you Rgone but that's what i would expect of some kid at wally world.

I mean that is the kind of customer service I would expect from wally world.

Last edited:
I was surprised that Trents was given such a hard time at first. But you put the shoe on the other foot the people making the decisions at ASUS were just following direction and were in no position to change the outcome. Possilbly if Trents had pursued it up the ladder he may have gotten a more satisfactory result but doubtful. Just the nature of the defect itself is suspect from the get go and ASUS has no idea who Trents is or his skill level. For all they know he was just some punk pounding his ram in with a hammer.
I build garden furniture and trellises out of red cedar and have had a few people come back with complaints and for the most part I do what I can to remedy the situation(no matter how they broke things) since in my case word of mouth can really damage my reputation. ASUS is so big and like most companies in this day and age they really don't give a sh*t.
Now ten years ago I think things were different. I had an A8V DELUXE that had a meory slot go bad. Through email and phone calls they authorized n RMA but I was reluctant. I told them I needed my system and couldn't be without it for that long. So they offered to send me another board but charge my credit card. I would then send the old board back in the same packaging and when or if they decided my claim was legit they would refund the credit card.
In the end I got my money back and the whole experience was rather painless. I have been a big ASUS fan ever since. I feel that's where they miss the mark Trents will remember this experience and may never buy their products again.
BUT THEY DON'T CARE !!

So I downloaded the three service packs from Microsoft but they are all in the form of self-executing files that unpack to Temp and then automatically go into an install routine. SP3 was available as an ISO on the MS web site but SP1 and 2 were not. So I don't think they will work for integrating into an install disc with n-lite. I think the other ISO's are available via Bit Torrent but I'm wary of that avenue because I've been bit by viruses with it in the past.

trents, people seem to think it's funny to load torrents with the crabs.
I just can't figure the fun in that.

Got the service packs slip streamed into the XP OS and burned it on an install disc. All is well now. Used nLite. The install and updates work as normal once you have all the service packs installed.

Hey Trents hows things coming along there my friend??? Just got my new set up finished today! AJ. :thup: ;)

Attachments

• AJ Italian Build 57.jpg
    AJ Italian Build 57.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 41
  • AJ Italian Build 59.jpg
    AJ Italian Build 59.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 53
  • AJ Italian Build 60.jpg
    AJ Italian Build 60.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 42
Hey, Ajay! Cool system, man! Love that spot fan sticking up on the stalk like that! Where'd you get that drive enclosure that the motherboard is sitting on top of? What parts were bought and how much of the build is custom, jerry-rigged? That spot fan hovering over everything - how'd you do that? Where'd the stalk come from. Looks like a sunflower sticking up in a garden. Nice!

Last edited:
Hey, I enjoyed that build log! Impressive craftsmanship and attention to detail and style! Good job, buddy!

I wonder where I could get a product like that benching frame/case over on this side of the Atlantic pond? I like openness like that. Easy to keep stuff clean.

How do you like that Phantek cooler? Monster! I recently picked up a Noctua D14 and love it! So quiet!

I had a V8 cooler in a corsair 600T that was quite good Trents, but this awesome compared to that with the Triple fan its 17c to 20c across the CPU! if you touch the cooler if feels cold to the touch, about the bench the CEO of DimasTech is kinda looking at the US Market. But they Ship Via FEDEX all over the place Trents maybe you could drop them a E-Mail and see what happens. So back to you and i will wait for the reply with my SUNFLOWER here lol. AJ.

Back