• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Got my Asus M5A99X evo up and running!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The li'l fishy been around for quite a while but still alive and kicking (or swimming).

with my m5a97 r2.0 clearing the cmos does not wipe the profiles reflasing the bios does, same with the chv and the sabertooth.

Maybe I'm wrong about that now that I consider what you said, CD. Maybe I got one confused with the other in my aging memory banks. I'll have to test that one soon.

I wish there was a way to backup bios overclocking profiles to disc. I hate it when I change some setting and the computer won't reboot and then I have to reset CMOS and lose all the stuff I painstakingly entered.

What you want is available.

There is a proprietary application that comes with the Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX Professional motherboard. F-Stream by name. One of the things available in F-Stream is as below.

F-Stream is an all-in-one tool to fine-tune different system functions in a user-friendly interface, which currently includes OC DNA mode, you can save your OC settings as a profile and share them with your friends. Your friends can then load the OC profile in to their own system to get the same OC settings.

So you can save Profile to a file and put it back after a CMOS clear or whatever. The whatever could include saving more profiles than just the three that are saved in bios. Replace any profile with another and save it to OC DNA mode and have as many profiles I guess as one could want.
RGone...

Gonester it looks like it's proprietary to Asrock only though?

As far as I know, DFI was the last board company that could actually move bios profiles from board to like board and it was proprietary for sure, I would guess that the ability to do so with at least the Fatal1ty 990 board has just proprietary software also. But being able to do such is sort of neat.
RGone...

It would have helped if I read this part of your thread
There is a proprietary application that comes with the Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX Professional motherboard.
:bang head sorry bud.

I spent a couple of hours tinkering with the offset voltage mode and have to say I'm a bit underwhelmed with it :rain:
My first attempt core temp said my vid was 1.4v so I set an offset of .05 and the same for my NB. I set the LLC to regular for both.
During prime my min volt dropped to 1.38 the max said 1.45v but the system would never use it all. It would fluctuate between 1.41 and 1.28. At 3.9G my chip needs 1.452 v to remain stable. So ultimately it crashed. :confused:
I went in and bumped the offset to .07 tried again and same result :bang head
So I started using the LLC and after a lot of trial and error had to reduce the offset to .03 set the LLC to Ultra high to maintain stability. Otherwise it would always underpower and crash. :mad:
In the end I'm back to using extreme with a manual setting of 1.428 which will hold at 1.452 under load. And all is right in my world once again :clap:

Overall I found the experience quite frustrating and too unpredictable, :salute:

I'm still waiting for trents to post a bench or two and tell us what he thinks of his new board compared to his old one.......

Well, trents isn't into benching but he can give you feedback about the new motherboard. Even though the LLC has lots more choices than were available with the M5A97 nonevo, I agree with Johann45, I don't like the way it's implemented as well. The various choices don't seem to make much difference one from the other.

I do like the extra depth from front to back on the new board as it allows for another row of tray standoffs to support the area under the ram slots and the 24-pin power plug, which as you recall, was where I had a trace fail on the other board.

I also think the new board's 6+2 digital power phase allows for a little lower max vcore needed to be stable under full load, even though the disappointing LLC makes for a higher idle vcore.

There are some other features I have not had time to explore like the TPU and EPU switches that weren't on the old board.

if you have cool and quiet, try it with it enabled, I know you don't stress your processor to hard so you might like it.

I know what you mean about the support, shoving the 24 pin connector home and the thing just flexes so bad it's not funny.
I have not even looked into the tpu or the epu thing.

Last edited:
It's running so sweet right now I hate to mess with anything.

It's running so sweet right now I hate to mess with anything.

Up early Sunday morning so I was going to try 50 runs of LinX at 5.0Ghz...watched it for about 15 mins about 5 or 6 times and when it got to 37 runs done, I went to watch the tube a little. Went back and looked it was on run 46 so back to watch end of show. Back in about 15 mins and failed at run #47 and I have not gotten close again. Not yet at 11:53PM Sunday night.

After the fail at #47 run, I changed a couple of menu items and have lost my way or its' way. Hehehe. Power fully off and CMOS clearing now. Been here and done this before. Doing okay and leaving alone can be a good thing.
RGone...

Did I tell you guys the rest of the story on that burned trace board I RMA'd to Asus? The wanted to sell me a replacement (refurb) for $90 as damaged traces weren't covered under warranty. I told them it wasn't damaged that it "failed" and there is a difference. They came down on the price of the replacement to $60 and I countered with a request to come down to $50 and I if they did I wouldn't disparage their name to my forum friends. Didn't here back from them tech rep for a couple of days so I assumed they weren't going to come my way anymore.

I then sent them an email saying I just wanted the old board back and was going in a different direction. Almost immediately I got an email from the tech rep saying she had received authorization to sell me the replacement for $50. So, I immediately emailed back saying we had a deal and I immediately faxed off the purchase form authorizing them to charge my credit card.

Well, guess what, a week later a motherboard came to my house from Asus. I opened the box and discovered it was my old board with the burnt trace. I emailed the rep back asking what was up and she said there must have been confusion in our communication. She said they would still sell me the replacement for $50 if I wanted it. By that time I had already gotten my M5A99X that I won on ebay, however and I was so disgusted with Asus that I just said forget it. Rep said she would tear up my fax and not charge my card which was my main concern by that point in time.

That's pretty shoddy customer service Trents I was hoping you'd get a replacement for $0. Then to top it off with a screw up like that. It's those kinds of experiences that stick with people.

Did I tell you guys the rest of the story on that burned trace board I RMA'd to Asus? The wanted to sell me a replacement (refurb) for $90 as damaged traces weren't covered under warranty. I told them it wasn't damaged that it "failed" and there is a difference. They came down on the price of the replacement to $60 and I countered with a request to come down to $50 and I if they did I wouldn't disparage their name to my forum friends. Didn't here back from them tech rep for a couple of days so I assumed they weren't going to come my way anymore.

I then sent them an email saying I just wanted the old board back and was going in a different direction. Almost immediately I got an email from the tech rep saying she had received authorization to sell me the replacement for $50. So, I immediately emailed back saying we had a deal and I immediately faxed off the purchase form authorizing them to charge my credit card.

Well, guess what, a week later a motherboard came to my house from Asus. I opened the box and discovered it was my old board with the burnt trace. I emailed the rep back asking what was up and she said there must have been confusion in our communication. She said they would still sell me the replacement for $50 if I wanted it. By that time I had already gotten my M5A99X that I won on ebay, however and I was so disgusted with Asus that I just said forget it. Rep said she would tear up my fax and not charge my card which was my main concern by that point in time.
That really is poor service all around, it will definitely be in my mind next time I purchase a product from Asus.

Back