• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what sort of PC did you have at age of 15, compared to now?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
When I was 15...in 1976, my first computer...does a Texas Instruments calculator (they were expensive back then!) count?

Bahaha, surpisingly I have no issues being out side most of my time. And yeah, for lack of a better term, I am a post *****. I'm at like 18+ a day... :/. But, I have to admit I've learned more in two or three months on here than I have over my eight grades. So it's more of a learning experience. And to be truthful, I am never going to tear this system down. I can seriously see myself in the future digging through my attic and finding this old thing. Booting it up and being shocked at how slow it is compared to me new rig which performs opperations before I think of what I want to do.
lol yeah man.
i have so many mods i have planned, but am unable to do. i want to do some dremel mods, paint jobs etc, but i don't have access to these tools (becuase my dad doens't have them).
so once i can drive (2 more years) i can go and buy all these tools and mod stuff!
i've also learnt everything here, so i wonder if il'l be here in 20 years time.
i'm also never going to chuck this computer away. it's my very first computer and it's special :santa:

OUCH!!! Driving age is 18 in ausie? That severely blows. But, I feel for you. We don't have legal fireworks in IL... Grrr. But I have done a few mods myself. Nothing big of course. All simple things. I am a very lazy person when it comes to doing things 100%. I did cut a hole for a top mounted exhaust fan. I moved my cpu fan duct. I populated all intake/exhaust vents and then some. I also filled all my fan sockets... and then some with VERY professional looking wiring :beer:. SBfan.jpg

lol, well actually, you can start driving at 16. i'm learning at the moment. but you can't get your licence until your 18, and full licence until 21. then there's different rules for oversea drivers and new drivers but at older ages. it's kinda complicated.
and we get power restrcitions as well! you can't drive V8, turbo, supercharged or any other high powered cars until full licence. even the turbo diesel Benz C180 or something is banned from non-full licence holders.

anyway, back on topic: how technology evolves is frightening. i remember 3-4 years ago AMD dominated Intel when dual core cpus were just released. this is when i gained interest in PCs and that's as far as my knowledge extends to. every PC was all about the AMD X2 and how much better it was compared to Pentium 4..Pentium D etc. :)

i wasn't even born when half of you guys got your first computer :p

Oh yeah and dont you have to be over 25 to get your full license?? i thought that if you were over 21 then you didn't have to use those cursed green P plates we have?

Oh yeah and dont you have to be over 25 to get your full license?? i thought that if you were over 21 then you didn't have to use those cursed green P plates we have?
yeh, the Green P plate only applies if you get your licence at 18. as far as i know that's how it is anyway. (i'm gonna need like 5 jobs to save up for an EK9).

Cuiiey, we'll bump this thread in 20 years time and see what pc we have then :p

When I was 15 I didn't have my own PC. But our family PC was a Pentium 233mhz w/ MMX and a PCI Voodoo3 2000 vga card. But around 16 I was given my own PC, which was a 200mhz Pentium Pro Compaq Deskpro.. I had tons of fun with that machine.

I joined here @ 15, lol.

I had a somewhat decent rig then due to running a review site.

Athlon XP 1600+ (AGOIA) That was watercooled and overclocked :) <-- Pencil Mods lol
IWill XP333 Mobo
512MB
10GB HD + 40GB HD
Some Random PSU
12x DVD Rom + Plextor 40x12x40a (I think)
128mb Radeon 8800le @ pro speeds (had a AIW Radeon 32MB DDR before that)

That rig saw so many lan parties. It was also my 4th pc.

I got into PCs at 9 or so and built a p2 350Mhz pc @ 10. I gotta thank my dad for supporting my interest in computers. He would give me his old pcs when I was young and bought me my own pc @ 13 which I custom built (Tbird 950) with a $900 budget from Gateway since we knew the GM, lol.

Last edited:
At 15 I was kicking with something about ~1.2GHz. Later that year in November my family upgraded to a Pentium 4 & FX5200. At 18 I bought myself a Core 2, and now have an i7.

yeh, the Green P plate only applies if you get your licence at 18. as far as i know that's how it is anyway. (i'm gonna need like 5 jobs to save up for an EK9).

Cuiiey, we'll bump this thread in 20 years time and see what pc we have then
hehe, lols im gonna see if i can get my hands on a super computer :)

I heard from my brother ( computer science major at UoI Champaign-Urbana) that the school was coming up with a massively poswerful super computer. If I remember correctly, he told me it was doing equations in minutes that took the old computers hours to days to complete.

I heard from my brother ( computer science major at UoI Champaign-Urbana) that the school was coming up with a massively poswerful super computer. If I remember correctly, he told me it was doing equations in minutes that took the old computers hours to days to complete.
whoa. i bet these are used to predict future weather, global warming and stuff like that.
anybody heard of the Quantum computer? i remember reading it here somewhere.
but with Personal Computers, PSUs keep getting bigger in wattage...i'm hoping computers will take much less power in the future, but at the same time provide good performance. there's no point building faster CPUs and GPUs which consume more power if our world will crumble and we wont' be able to use it cos we're all dead.

whoa. i bet these are used to predict future weather, global Bull**** and stuff like that.
anybody heard of the Quantum computer? i remember reading it here somewhere.
but with Personal Computers, PSUs keep getting bigger in wattage...i'm hoping computers will take much less power in the future, but at the same time provide good performance. there's no point building faster CPUs and GPUs which consume more power if our world will crumble and we wont' be able to use it cos we're all dead.

That is true. Amd is kind of getting towards that with some of their chips. they have the whole "e" type chips which are low power consumption chips. But, I think that the lowest consuming chip is still atleast 45watts. Which is signifcantly less during idle, but can get up there once loaded. I would like to see some VERY low power cpu's and gpu's as well. Mainly high performance, low power gpu's though. I see gpu's as the main reason people buy more powerful psu's.

Wow, this thread is started by a 16 year old. :confused:

Anyway, I didn't have my own computer until I was 16.

It was a Shuttle MN31N with an Applebred-based 1.4Ghz Duron, overclocked to 2.2Ghz, of course. I gamed with the integrated graphics for a while until I saved up for a used Ti4200. It had a black 16x DVD-ROM drive that I still use in my comp to this day. The computer had 2x 256MB sticks of Kingston value ram and a 120GB Seagate hard drive. The drive died after several months but the replacement still works. It used some cheapo power supply. My mom eventually bought me some cheap windowed case for it.

Epson qx10 running cpm/80 os
Unbranded i386
The epson i had it before 15
The unb 386 i remembered bc it was the first pc i put tog myself

Wow, this thread is started by a 16 year old. :confused:

Anyway, I didn't have my own computer until I was 16.

It was a Shuttle MN31N with an Applebred-based 1.4Ghz Duron, overclocked to 2.2Ghz, of course. I gamed with the integrated graphics for a while until I saved up for a used Ti4200. It had a black 16x DVD-ROM drive that I still use in my comp to this day. The computer had 2x 256MB sticks of Kingston value ram and a 120GB Seagate hard drive. The drive died after several months but the replacement still works. It used some cheapo power supply. My mom eventually bought me some cheap windowed case for it.
lol is there anything wrong with that? :p

i just didn't know what computers were like 5-10 years ago. i've had 2 family computers before my own PC which is in my sig.
the first one had like 10mb ram, 400mhz cpu and a puny harddrive. only game i ever played on it was simulation golf. real 'simulation'. it was more lag and bugs more than anything else. it also had the Windows before 95. Windows 4.01 maybe? there was a number at the end.

then our second computer (bought in year 2000) had Pentium III 1ghz, 256mb ram, 30gb hdd, integrated Intel graphics and a fishbowl 15" monitor. that cost $1.5k AUD back then. and i got my pc (excluding speakers) for around $1.5k AUD as well. and i'm pretty sure my computer is a lot faster. hehe

At 15 the family computer was a 386 33mhz with 40mb (we had just upgraded) hard drive, 256 color monitor and we used the pc speaker cause we were awesome.

5 1/4 floppy drives loading up the original Wolfenstein 3D on 6, yes 6 separate floppies one for each level. I still have the Wolfenstein 3D manual in nearly pristine condition.

My own computer wasn't until I was 18-19, when I bought myself a P4 1.6a oc'd to 2.4ghz, 2x512mb DDR, nVidia TI4400, I forget how many gigs the drive was, but it was probably 40-60gb. SB Audigy, some junky speakers and a 17" CRT monitor. I was on cloud nine for sure. My parents were really upset with me for spending $250 on just a video card, but it lasted me a very long time so it was worth it.

This was the system that I was researching parts choices for when I stumbled on this site. 11,000 posts and 7 years later here I am.

*snip*
i just didn't know what computers were like 5-10 years ago
*snip*
5-10 years, nothing really special in all technicalities since ive been overclocking since 2003 (15 years old) however going back 15-20 years, the first computer i was given well...lets just say that bad boy was older and slower to get around in than Jesus' sandals.

I still have the invoice attached to the bottom of my desk (for future reference) of my first self-purchased computer at the age of 15.
Asus P4P800-SE
Intel 2.8E, yes a prescott and that thing was hot and fast
2x256mb ram, which was later upgraded to 2x512mb because my dad decided to install those modules upside down!
80GB Maxtor HDD (in parents computer as we speak)
Radeon 9200SE and man was it crap
Case and other crap including a 17" LG CRT
This all came to $1103.07 after the build fee, and since I have not paid anything close for a computer because I knew I had been ripped off, and I have never let anyone else touch my computer ever again.

Back