• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Absurd things people say about PC's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So this one time my best friend was building a new computer for his gf. They listened to me and got the parts that I told them to. Now my friend is ok with computers but not great. They enlisted the gf's older brother to assist them in the build. This guy is an intellegint person, I built a computer for him and showed him exactly how to do it all. I figured a person with a degree in ROCKET SCIENCE would be able to remember what to do. But of course after they finish "building" the computer I get a call
friend -"hey this thing wont boot up"
me- "is it plugged in etc."
friend - "yeah.. its all hooked up right but it won't turn on"
me- "Bring it over I'll get i working"
So after I get the computer and fixing all the little things they did wrong I tried to turn it on. Nothing, just spinning fans. So I decided to see if they had the hsf on right just in case. I unlatch it and pull the hsf off... I look in to examine the processor... where is the hell is it. Than I look at the the heatsink, there is the processor STUCK on the heatsink by the thermal pad. Apperantly the Rocket Scientist put in the processor WRONG and bent some pins. Sooooo I fixed the pins put it in correctly and promtly lost all faith in rocket scientists.

Timdog said:
There are several all girl gaming clans. I know of "Burntpink" and "Checksix Divas" for CS 1.6. The Divas are actually very good. I've been owned by all girl clans before. Although, you must admit that IN GENERAL, most girls don't know anything about computers. That is IN GENERAL THOUGH. There are 1337 H4x0r girls out there. ;) It is a more guy sided hobby though. :shrug:

D1v@5 Rul3!!!! LOLLOLOLLOL!!!!!!!!!! J/K ;)

Divas rule. Cool. LOL.

Haha I love that story, what I dont get is building a pc is pretty much just plugging in stuff where its forced to fit. I could see someone messing up on the heatsink though. Then again if I was building one I would look it up online if I didnt know how to do it.

About half a year i was in a local PC shop to buy a new headset. There was a customer in front of me who came to pick up a freshly built PC. He had one last question before he left:

Customer: 'So..does it have Firewire?'
Employee: 'No sir, you would have to install a firewall yourself'
Customer: 'No i mean FireWIRE'
Employee: 'Uhh' *checks mobo box* 'No it doesn't have fireware'
Customer: 'Hmm too bad. Guess ill have to connect my DV/Cam through other means'

Took me a swift *cough* to get the attention of another employee at the counter, who did knew what firewire was, and that the mobo the guy purchased, had it.

I would have to say, of all I have been through, the worst is a case where I got a call from a customer, stating she had taken a rag and cleaned her comp, and now it wouldnt start. Ok, bring it in I told her. She brings it in, I open it up, and sure enough, its all shiney and clean. Hrm. I lean alittle closer, and, my my, what is that I smell. Ma'am, what did you clean this with? Oh, just some pinesol. *shakes head*

No it's the modem...

Inside joke refrerral:
We(good friends of mine) used to joke with each other years ago, and call each other "modems". Kind of like riding on a short school bus....

i.e.- Dude your a modem!!!

Enablingwolf said:
No it's the modem...

Inside joke refrerral:
We(good friends of mine) used to joke with each other years ago, and call each other "modems". Kind of like riding on a short school bus....

i.e.- Dude your a modem!!!
hahaha, that's so lame, but funny.

me "yep, your disk is full"
Joe "i can back up all my music onto a cd and then delete it, right?"
me " absolutely"

2 days later

Joe "i did something wrong"
me " uh oh"
joe " i backed up my busic to a disk and it wont play on anything"
me " oh, thats not that bad, just one disk? for 6 G.B.?"
joe "yeah, and the bad disk killed my computer"
me "what did you delete?"
joe " everything i could find, but its got to be the bad disk, right?"
"your disk, sir, is most assuredly - bad"

Miguita said:
Let me see...

1. A "friend" (noob pretending to be expert) claimed he got his T-bird 1.4 up to 2.6 GHz on air...... He then added "My CPU is sensational!". Indeed. I was speechless.

HAHAHA ive had that too
a athlon xp3200 barton o/c-ed to 4.2 ghz without w/c, cos he was too scared to install it :D

(22:50:49) papa2pimp fo you: it was around 300 on load for mohaa:sh but in game it ran even higher, around 500-1000
(22:51:19) Elif Da Uber: yea, I'm sure :)
(22:51:19) papa2pimp fo you: in really bad spots on maps it would drop to 100 or so
(22:51:23) Elif Da Uber: You just keep dreaming M8 :)
(22:51:33) Elif Da Uber: WHat video card do you have pushing such nice rates?
(22:51:45) papa2pimp fo you: serious, mohaa:sh has crappy ghrapics
(22:51:49) papa2pimp fo you: graphics*
(22:52:00) Elif Da Uber: Just tell me the video card:)
(22:52:05) papa2pimp fo you: 9800XT
(22:52:20) Elif Da Uber: you mean, Pro that you flashed to XT because you were afraid to overclock it?
(22:52:28) papa2pimp fo you: haha
(22:52:29) papa2pimp fo you: yeah

Uhh, I know it's not the lates game, but I don't think ANYTHING pushes a good 500-1000 FPS on ANY game :p. Sorry charlie, I'm not buying it :)

Elif Tymes said:
Uhh, I know it's not the lates game, but I don't think ANYTHING pushes a good 500-1000 FPS on ANY game :p. Sorry charlie, I'm not buying it :)
haha, at first i thought he was talking about temperatures...both are equally ridiculous

Elif Tymes said:

I can get 800 fps in stalingrad in medal of honor allied assault maxed out with a p4 3.8ghz, 9800 pro 128 445/740, 1gb ram. Remember FPS is just the frames the card is processing. How many frames you actually get on your screen is dependant upon your monitor's refresh rate for the current resolution, for me I run all my games at 1280x1024 and get 85hz refresh rate, so I really can't get more thant 85fps, anything over it is great but its not going to make 1 bit of difference.

I get a fairly decent framerate in glxgears with my slightly overclocked 8500LE:
Code:
langley ~ # glxgears
11257 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2251.400 FPS
9898 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1979.600 FPS
9915 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1983.000 FPS

Back