• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reported fake Intel CPU sold at Newegg (first build ever - i7 920)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What about this.
LINK:http://hardocp.com/article/2010/03/08/counterfeit_intel_cpu_saga_comes_to_close/

Newegg has sent HardOCP the following statement.

Hi Kyle,

Following is Newegg.com's official statement reguarding the Intel shipping story:

"Newegg is currently conducting a thorough investigation surrounding recent shipments of questionable Intel Core i7-920 CPUs purchased from Newegg.com.

Initial information we received from our supplier, IPEX, stated that they had mistakenly shipped us "demo units." We have since come to discover the CPUs were counterfeit and are terminating our relationship with this supplier. Contrary to any speculation, D&H Distributing is not the vendor that supplied us with the Intel Core i7-920 CPUs in question.

Newegg’s top priority is to proactively reach out to all customers who may have been affected to ensure their absolute satisfaction. We have already sent out a number of replacement units and are doing everything in our power to resolve the matter promptly and with the least amount of inconvenience to our customers.

We have always taken pride in providing an exceptional experience for each customer, and we apologize for any inconvenience to our valued customers. We take matters like this extremely seriously, and are working in close cooperation with Intel and the appropriate law enforcement authorities to thoroughly investigate this incident."

Thanks,

Scott Meaney

We reported that also, it was Newegg's official follow up statement, and wasn't exclusive to Hardocp:
http://www.overclockers.com/newegg-releases-statement-fake-processors/

We followed the story after that, and published IPEX's statement also where they confirmed the problem Newegg highlighted in their statement linked above:
http://www.overclockers.com/ipex-infotech-releases-statement-fake-newegg-i7-cpus/

That's more or less where things came to a close as far as I recall, IPEX didn't offer any further statements - just that they're coordinating with Intel's investigation. I haven't seen anything meaningful from any of the companies involved other than that and what is included in the comments of the articles linked.

Ya, they and IPEX both possibly know. Neither are releasing further statements to my knowledge. Likely would be another no-name company none of us have heard of. Nobody had heard of IPEX Infotech before this whole thing either.

It was obvious they could not have been any type of store display units given the fact the boxes had the weight and feel of the real thing.

Glad this was discovered early on. Thanks for bringing this to the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back