• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wireless disconnects

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MattsterMH

Starting a week or two ago, every couple of days my wireless doesn't work throughout my house, and I have to reset my modem in order for it to work and for me to connect to the network. I wasn't always having this problem, but it's really getting frustrated. I've looked in my Verizon network settings and I haven't found anything out of the ordinary, so I really don't know what to do.

What model and brand of router?

If your router is capable of logging, check it out to see if your seeing a lot of connects/disconnects.

What are you using the connection for? Is anyone running bittorent on the network?

No one really there said anything helpful for my problem...they just said to get a new router.

Well thats kind of the answer, or stop using the internet the way you are. Capping your max connections could do it. From the sound in that thread tho, you shouldn't expect much of anything. I'd rather replace the bad hardware than not get all the internet I'm paying for.

To clarify further, the 200 connections globally, that means between all your pcs running bittorrent you should permit no more than 200 TOTAL. The more connections going thru your lousy router the more likely it is to have trouble.

The best results would likely be had from only running bittorrent on ONE pc. The excess connections will do nothing but slow you down generally speaking, and specifically with your poor network gear, its killing your connection altogether.

To clarify further, the 200 connections globally, that means between all your pcs running bittorrent you should permit no more than 200 TOTAL. The more connections going thru your lousy router the more likely it is to have trouble.

The best results would likely be had from only running bittorrent on ONE pc. The excess connections will do nothing but slow you down generally speaking, and specifically with your poor network gear, its killing your connection altogether.

a used router is what, 30 bucks?

i picked one up off fleabay for about that price for my brother, it was a Linksys WRT54GW (Tmobile hotspot @home)

Ya, getting new hardware that doesn't stink is the preferred solution. Or not using torrents for downloading all the time. I'm working on the assumption that he doesn't like those answers lol

limit the number of connections in ur torrent client and u should stop having problems.... id say 200connections MAX globally.

I say 200 is too much. I would suggest 80. And also, your router I'm guessing is heating up, I remember I had a similar problem with my old router, putting a mini fan blowing air to it would resolve the problem, the definitive solution is to buy a new router and don't just buy any router, look around this forum or ask.

If you are using WiFi connection to DL torrents, then thats the problem it self. WiFi wasnt designed for such high load in the first place.

So if you want to use torrents, then youll have to use LAN line.

Back