• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

chieftec owners please reply

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xevuhtess7

do you guys cut out the built in fan grill on the two rear fans? im thinking about it because they look like they block a bunch of airflow, but some of my friends are just plain stupid and clumsy. just trying to get a general idea if you guys cut those off.

you can cut them off and replace them with standard grills. i know they reduce airflow a lot. i heard that it reduces noise when you take them off. im thinking about doing it to my front ones and not putting grills b/c the front besel acts as a grill. for the back ones you could cut them off and hot glue(ghetto way) grills on if you dont want to drill holes

good idea, now i gotta go get some grills somewhere.

EDIT: by the way, i just noticed the unintended pun :) "i heard they reduce noise" hahah. ok i have no life, im done now.

My grills are still on, they dont seem to be that restrictive and I dont have the time to do any modding right now. If I do happen to get an extra few days of time I might whip out the dremel and drill some new holes, but I really don't feel like taking everything out of my case especially since I use zip ties to make the wiring all nice and pretty.

I left mine in place, they look to me like they dont block too much airflow and if you did try to mount a grill then you would have to not use the included fan clips, which are pretty nice IHMO. Plus with LED fans it makes a cool grid pattern on the wall behind my computer :)

WyrmMaster said:
I left mine in place, they look to me like they dont block too much airflow and if you did try to mount a grill then you would have to not use the included fan clips, which are pretty nice IHMO. Plus with LED fans it makes a cool grid pattern on the wall behind my computer :)

I agree, my blue LED fans in the back look sweet shining through the silver grills. :D

personally i think it would merly be a hassle to take mine off. the increase in airflow? i dont care my full load temp is lower than 36C which im fine with. reduced noise? maybe but is it worth it to lose those fan clips? not really. if you want more airflow just cut a hole in the top of your case with a jig saw (i did that) then put a 120mm fan in ( actually a CD makes a great template for a 120mm fan) but be careful cause the jig saw's feet will scratch the hell outta the paint (good thing i was paintin it anyway)

Actually if you will look its kind of hard to fit the wire grills on the back. There are no predrilled holes that fit the fans. Also as I recall the plastic fan shroud mounting hole are right where you would normally put a screw. Looked to me like too much trouble so I left them on. Now if you want to not put wire grills on its no problem and would probably make for less noise though I couldnt imagine it being much less.

DipStickTony said:
, but I really don't feel like taking everything out of my case especially since I use zip ties to make the wiring all nice and pretty.

I just left the fans running and let them blow the metal dust out while I was cutting. Not the brightest thing to do, but it worked.

I made the mistake of doing that to my old case. Very very sharp edges after I cut, and I ended up slicing my hand really bad each time I reaced back there. DOH! You think I would have learned my lesson after the first slashing.

It's not the rear fans that bug me, its the front. They are closest to me, and thats the fan noise I hear the most.

PS: Anyone with a chieftec- do you guys notice a problem when it comes to cleaning the dust on the front grill? My mom mentioned that "Thats a problem with you guys- you never think about how hard cleaning will be before you buy it".

I guess she does have a point... has anyone had a hell of a time trying to clean the dust from that grill?

I replaced the front two grills with the aluminum wire mesh filters, traps most of the dust very well, and clean up is a snap with them.

But the rear grills were a waste of time IMO.

No grills in my case
I cut out the wire mesh on both the front and back fan openings and didn’t bother replacing them with standard grills. Why bother? I don’t have any young children to worry about sticking hands in there. I think it cut the noise down considerably. It was very easy with a hand jigsaw. I also took out the PSU fan grills as well.

onx said:
personally i think it would merly be a hassle to take mine off. the increase in airflow? i dont care my full load temp is lower than 36C which im fine with. reduced noise? maybe but is it worth it to lose those fan clips? not really. if you want more airflow just cut a hole in the top of your case with a jig saw (i did that) then put a 120mm fan in ( actually a CD makes a great template for a 120mm fan) but be careful cause the jig saw's feet will scratch the hell outta the paint (good thing i was paintin it anyway)
you wont lose the clips if you hotglue the new grills on

well yeah...I cut the ones off mine all over, but then I am using 92 and 120s instead of 80s. I sanded and resprayed the case also - you cant see where I modded em.

About cleaning the front - I put a thin piece of foam on the inside of the plastic grill - you can just slip it out and wash it - not a huge deal, but then I hate cleaning it still (why there is so much dust in my room I can't figure out).

I don't have any pics - but I put a single 92 in the back - plus there is the dual fans on the psu also exhausting. In the front there is a single 120 right at the bottom (had to remove the lower drive bay - had to remove it for the pump anyway) and another 80 in the remaining drive bay - could fit a 92 in there but didn't have the patience to cut anymore holes out (The 120 mm hole sure took it out of me!). Not a mod to do in five mins ;)

last night i started hacking up my case with my new dremel, i cut off the bottom drive rack thing. now i can fit my heatercore perfecly, i also trimmed the barbs on it too. ive already fallen in love with this dremel, ill probably end up chopping up those fan grills. if my friends chop their fingers off by my fans then ill just blame it on their stupidity.

about dust and cleaning on the front:

ScotchBrite pads. They're green scrubby pads used for scrubbing pots, etc. You can get them at much any grocery store for very cheap. There's a space under the bottom of the front bezel, the scotchbrite pads are the perfect size to slide right in there to use for dust filters.

Back