• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU mod to enable hi multi's on 2100B ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
jboy said:
What do you mean "hard code to a higher multiplier" ? cpu mod-defogger paint, etc. ? And if this is what you mean, do you know if it's possible with the B's ?

Yes, that's what he means open and close the "Multiplier" bridges, not thr L1s...and yes, it's been possible on all socket A CPUs ever since Duron/Tbirds.
John C.

Farleytron said:
Be really careful about advising people to blow the bridges with a battery. Some ill-informed souls have already ruined their CPUs by either using a far-too-strong electrical source or just plain bad luck.....

Last guy I heard used a rechargeable drill battery to cook his CPU quite nicely!

Yeah thats why I said a low amperage one and linked to the thread about it. I never advised him to do it, he asked a question about hard coding multipliers and I showed him a link to a thread in this same part of the forum talking about hard coding multi's by using this method. I in no way insinuated that he should go out and start hooking up car batteries to his CPU and start popping bridges:p just showed him one place that I thought might answer his question.

(don't hook up car batteries to your CPU by the way...)

ryangs, the blowing of the 5th L3 bridge only needs to be done on the lower speed Tbred's, if you want the higher multipliers. Most of the time, you do not want higher multipliers because you want the max FSB speed. Example: An 1800+ Tbred has a default multiplier of 11.5 and 133 FSB (1533 MHz). You might overclock this to 10.0 and 180 FSB (1800 MHz).

Some people that have the 2100+ Tbred B (with 13x multiplier) and KT333 chipset motherboards are getting such large overclocks that they are limited by either their memory speed or the PCI bus speed. Example: A 2100+ Tbred has a default multiplier of 13x and 133 FSB (1733 MHz). You might overclock this to 13x and 190 FSB (2470 MHz), but what if your memory cannot run faster than 175 FSB. Then you would want to use a 14x multiplier and 175 FSB (2450 MHz), but your motherboard does not allow you to use anything higher than a 13x multiplier.

The solution is to connect and/or cut the first 4 bridges (as required) to hardcode a 14x multiplier.

Aw man, that sounds even creepier than defogger paint. I'll have to think long and hard before I blow 4 bridges. There's gotta be a safer/less anxiety provoking way, guys..

Farleytron said:
Be really careful about advising people to blow the bridges with a battery. Some ill-informed souls have already ruined their CPUs by either using a far-too-strong electrical source or just plain bad luck.....

Last guy I heard used a rechargeable drill battery to cook his CPU quite nicely!

guy in you avatur looks like he's giving air head! LOL!

jboy said:
Aw man, that sounds even creepier than defogger paint. I'll have to think long and hard before I blow 4 bridges. There's gotta be a safer/less anxiety provoking way, guys..

Safest way to open bridges...functional spec....

"Wear away" material "gradually" with suitable "tool" that will not go too deep and damage CPU...knives are a no-no, bad or no depth control.

Tool must be abrasive with very very fine point so as not to obliterate the entire bridge, just open in middle.

Suggestion...most finely pointed diamond coated rotary burr dentists use. Get one from dentist...or buy equivalent hardware/hobby stores...or similarly very finely pointed jewelers file. Glue/epoxy the burr into a tube for use by hand. Inspect progress with optical magnification.
We got such a used burr from our dentist, epoxied into tube, works fine.
John C.

JohnC., I said less anxiety provoking, LOL. Shudder to think what a power tool with a diamond cutting edge could do to this chip. I'll have to get some btter kind of magnified viewing setup before I try any more bridge tweaking. Com'n Epox, update that damn bios !

jboy said:
JohnC., I said less anxiety provoking, LOL. Shudder to think what a power tool with a diamond cutting edge could do to this chip. I'll have to get some btter kind of magnified viewing setup before I try any more bridge tweaking. Com'n Epox, update that damn bios !

You didn't read the whole post...we wrote...

"Glue/epoxy the burr into a tube for use by hand".
John C.

This is the second message I didn't read completely. Mad cow disease ? There's a new beta bios out from epox, 1-27-03. I'm going to give it a try tomorrow and pray. I'll post if it works..

John C. ; It looks like, from the info on your site, that all I'd have to do to move my 2100 tbred from 13X to 14X is blow one bridge ? Is this correct ? I might try this, since defogger painting one bridge to get things back to normal doesn't seem to be as daunting as painting 5 bridges. Also, have you had any experience with the battery method of blowing these bridges ? I noticed you recommended a mechanical means of severing bridges in an earlier entry of this thread, and am wondering if this is because you haven't gotten around to trying this method yet ? Or have you heard that it's more dangerous, from the point of view of permanently damaging the chip ?

jboy said:
John C. ; It looks like, from the info on your site, that all I'd have to do to move my 2100 tbred from 13X to 14X is blow one bridge ? Is this correct ? I might try this, since defogger painting one bridge to get things back to normal doesn't seem to be as daunting as painting 5 bridges. Also, have you had any experience with the battery method of blowing these bridges ? I noticed you recommended a mechanical means of severing bridges in an earlier entry of this thread, and am wondering if this is because you haven't gotten around to trying this method yet ? Or have you heard that it's more dangerous, from the point of view of permanently damaging the chip ?

Yes opening the 2nd L3 will add 1X to the Multi, for 14X.
No experience with "blowing" bridges, so no comment...we just tend to be conservative....stick with the devil/procedure we know.
John C.

I had to blow bridges too...

I have a Tbred B 2100 on an msi 745 ultra and I couldn't post on anything other than default multiplier either. I didn't want to be too extreme so I just blew the 1st L3 bridge to give 13.5X multiplier. I used the 9Volt battery method, and so did a friend at work - It's easy, but I would recommend masking off the other bridges with tape when you do it.

I like to keep my fsb between 166 and 175 so my PCI speed doesn't get too high.

Use my CPU core speed calculator to see what that speed you'll get with different FSBs and multipliers. Multipliers 13.5 and 14 are both easy and both just involve blowing 1 bridge.

Core speed calc

-Mark.

BTW, does anybody know why I can only post on this forum if I'm using a proxy?

Thanks John, for the helpful info. And Sprout, your problem may have something to do with your e-mail address. As I understand it, free e-mail addresses , (like Hotmail or Yahoo), are not acceptable for full privileges, so this may have something to do with the problems you're experiencing. Just a guess...BTW, couldn't read the data on your linked page, in IE 6.0. It displayed as a chart of small, indecipherable blurs.

I'm not sure what multi your looking for but if you will check out my thread here you can see the multi's you get at 100 fsb.even though 6,6.5, and 7.5 dont get what you expect the 7 gives 7+8 to equal 15x.since you allready have the higher multi's it may help with the one you want.

Back