• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking a FX-4350

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Anuran

Registered
hi guys, its me again :D this time with a new cpu.

during the last few days, i tried to find some useful information regarding the amd fx-4350. all i found was oc guides for the fx-6xxx or fx-8xxx. i like to buy forgotten cpu's, i guess :)

what im really worried about is my CPU/NB Voltage. it's at 1.4v (auto). Thats not the way it should be, isnt it? does the fx-4350 differs from the fx-6xxx/fx-8xxx when it comes to CPU/NB Voltage? or a faulty mobo?

thanks in advance :)

Attachments

• Tweak_top.jpg
    Tweak_top.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 13,941
  • Tweak_bottom.jpg
    Tweak_bottom.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 13,218
CPU_NB voltage is the "same" for any FX processor be it 4/6/or 8 cores. You are likely running one of the later bioses and the bios writers have adjusted the CPU_NB voltage upward by bios design.

Sure manually lower it to 1.25V or so and make sure nothing becomes unstable from so doing.
RGone...

thank you RGone for your fast answer. cpu/nb is back at 1.25v.

well, i read stevenb's guide to bulldozer overclocking and he says: NB at 2400 and HT at 2600 would bring the best performance.

max ht link speed is 2400. i guess, i have to work my way up using the FSB. the problem with it is, there is no HT multiplier option :eh?: either im blind or i bought the wrong mobo for overclocking, once again haha

any idea?

Attachments

• CPUNB_freq.jpg
    CPUNB_freq.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 13,171
  • HT_link_speed.jpg
    HT_link_speed.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 13,172
On my M5A99X and M5A99FX R2, it automatically bumps the voltage to 1.4 if you overclock the CPU_NB. It is the same for both 6350 or 8350.

I don't see anything wrong with your board. I think the engineers didn't want to put an unnecessary condition statement in the code; just put one value and if its not right then one who is overclocking can fix it.

@RC9012Apples aww man. so i just bought the crap version of the M5A97? i see that the M5A97 EVO has a big VRM heatsink for 27€($36) more. well, 27€($36) for a better soundchip(i dont care) and a VRM heatsink. quite expensive if u ask me.

is my VRM in danger without a heatsink? should a manually add some heatsinks as shown in http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2148032/vrm-heatsinks-asus-m5a97.html

@RGone i get it now. thank you once again :)
Hi, the answer to VRM danger is yes when OCing. Looking up your board it only has a 4+2 Vrm section which isn't too good for OCing in the first place & without heat sinks it is even worse.

Those heat sinks won't do a whole lot for you but better than nothing. Mounting a fan blowing on the VRMs will help some.

Is your system stable now at 4.5MHz?

Last edited:
The HT Link adjustment is expressed as an actual frequency rather than a multiplier. Since the system base clock is 200 mhz, 2400 mhz frequency would equate to a 12x multiplier.

+1 on what papadan said!

I had the same problem with M5A87; sad thing is I have two of them! I never got around to adding any heatsinks but I thought about adding these sometime ago, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835708012.

I am still running one of my M5A87 with an Phenom II 1100T as a Linux gaming/surfing system to entertain visitors. The heat sink I use is a Noctua NH-C12P SE14 to help cool the vrm. If you don't want to add any heatsinks then the Noctua NH-C14 should cool better than the one I have.

Another thing to keep in mind, is this type of board is not meant to be pushed for long periods at a time.

@papadan yup. stable at 4,5. i thought of going up to 4,8ghz for day in day out usage if temps let me.

@RC9012Apples there is no way around, i guess. i have to buy these heatsinks :/

lets see whats possible. ill write down an update after some testing :)

thank you guys for your help so far :thup:

For a Fx 4350 that board should be fine, if we were talking about the 6xxx or 8xxx then it's a whole different ball game.

I had a 4170 on an m5a97 R2.0 and it was pretty good to 4.5, and a disaster any higher, i think i would stick with your 4.5 cpu clock just to keep to the safe side of things.

there we go. not sure if i can go any higher with my air cooler. thats under prime95 load

yup. i should stick to 4500 since the temps and voltage for 4600 and beyond are kinda high. but its fun to see whats possible :)

Attachments

• 4700_hwm.JPG
    4700_hwm.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 12,862
  • 4700_cpuz.JPG
    4700_cpuz.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 13,888
Last edited:
I'm not sure if youwere running 4.5-6 or 7 as CPUz shows but that last shot the temps are good and I would stop there as long ast that was load temps.

what do u mean by "not sure..."? do u think cpu-z shows false core speed? and yes, i made these screenshots while running prime95 small FFT's. i can make a full screenshot if u want.

In that post you said you should stick to 4.5 since 4.6 and up the voltage was too high but that shot of 4.7 has < 1.4v that's fine and temps are good. You final test should be P95 blend since it throws ram and IMC into the mix.

oh. well, i thought everything near or above 1.4v is "too high" for the FX. i read too many wrong guides, i guess :screwy:

but well, if u say its fine, ill run 4.7 then :)

Back