• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking a FX-4350

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
whew. thank you for your time to write down all that!

i remember when i came to this forum last year unaware of anything. ive been told to consider the max TDP of mobos. so now with the M5A97 LE, TDP is the only thing i kept an eye on.

yet one year later i still know nothing as it seems haha

just to make it clear. next time i buy a mobo i have to take care of:

max TDP
VRM heatsinks
8 pins EPS12V

anything else?

I have seen many writeups on buying a mobo...

... of course >>

Max TDP of cpu should be considered.
VRM heatsinks for the VRM circuit.
8 pins EPS12V cpu power connector is a good idea.

I doubt if that is the first thing I think of though. In the mid-90s when I first began to go into forums on the net in search of what I was going to do with/for a computer, I met some of the 'old hands' and they told me the best thing to do was to actually look at the system specs/signature of the users I thought I most wished to run their speeds on my own system.

You have no idea how much money that has saved me. I seldom ever had the 'least' expensive system, but I also never had a really problematic system nor one that I felt was holding me back. Getting and in some cases not getting an awesome cpu and cooling was most often the only reason I could not run the big numbers.

I think to be honest close copy-catting of the fast runners has been my first look see into what I would buy. Review sites do not and most often cannot test a motherboard in a full and complete manner and they most often cannot just blast a POS if they wish to ever have more free units to test. So review sites likely only comprise less than 20% input into what I may well buy.

There is one other thing I might add as I have thought and written and that is to know one's ownself. This is fully inline with the people that told me to look and see how fast I wanted to run and copy the parts and pieces to run those numbers. So who am I? How fast do I think I 'need' to run down in my own 'gut'.

If you are a prospective AM3+ mobo user and come into the AMD motherboard section and state specifically what speed you want to run and how much you have to spend...the motherboard you bought would likely not be in your hands. One of us that help here all the time, would have positioned you quite differently I believe. That too is a form of copy-catting parts and pieces to run fast. Now there will always be that user that hops into a thread and says his X thing is awesome and fast and most of them I disregard. If they are unwilling to post a full set of system specs with appropriate backup images for validation...I disregard such out of hand.

So still thinking as I write; I get the idea and picture that respected, real world users will be my best place to get input into my parts and pieces choices. Then I might look to see what price I may have to pay, and are the recommends covering the bases of a board design I also like and go from there.

Sorry I did not answer with check this and check that. I actually wrote what it is that I do when buying computer parts. I do know myself as to what sort of speeds I want to run and mediocre parts just won't get that done for me. Or at least that is how it has worked for nearly 20 years.

Luck man.
RGone...ster. :screwy:

one of the best ways to research motherboards is to dig very deeply into the forums, find those posters that use the cpu you are after and read the sigs to see what they use, this helps you know what to get, then you just need to find out the why.

Here Anuran this will give you a visual perspective. This is the board i run daily with the majority of my AMD CPUs and definately when I have my FX in the seat. First thing you'll notice is the big black and red heatsink and the large VRM/Power section. Then you have your typical ATX power connection and the 8 pin EPS. But there's an additional 4 pin eps to the right of the cpu socket and an additional molex connection on the bottom left to supply extra power to the PCIe lanes. Now a board like this is way more than you would need for your CPU, since as RGone puts it I push the pee out of these things on a regular basis. It just shows you the two ends of the scale when you put this side by side with your mobo

1 chv-z power.jpg

This is a pretty good read that ssjwizard put together on recommended motherboards, when people started realizing that the Fx Cpu's were no run of the mill chips. Especially the 6xxx, 8xxx and 9xxx chips.

I may also be so bold to state that I haven't seen a forum where there is a group of people that have pushed, tested and benched their AMD Fx hardware and are willing to share their findings, as much as the group here. We recommend and help, based on what we have found by pushing the pee out of our hardware and also from bouncing ideas off one another. Collectively as a whole one will be hard pressed to find a more educated group of AMD overclockers. :grouphug:

wow. with all the new knowledge, i bought the worst mobo for overclocking. now i know. i mean what does LE stands for anyway? loser edition? :rain:

ssjwizard's thread answered many of my questions. even the unasked ones. i mean digital vrm, analog vrm? :confused: i didnt know how big the gap between my mobo and the saberooth is as an example.

i reget buying the M5A97 LE R2.0 but im too stingy to buy another mobo besides i just ordered the heatsinks and some fans. i have to make the best out of it.

i cant mention it often enough, thank you very much guys! :salute:

That's what we're here for. Luckily you didn't go all out and pick up an FX9590. Ha ha

wow. with all the new knowledge, i bought the worst mobo for overclocking. now i know. i mean what does LE stands for anyway? loser edition? :rain:

ssjwizard's thread answered many of my questions. even the unasked ones. i mean digital vrm, analog vrm? :confused: i didnt know how big the gap between my mobo and the saberooth is as an example.

i reget buying the M5A97 LE R2.0 but im too stingy to buy another mobo besides i just ordered the heatsinks and some fans. i have to make the best out of it.

i cant mention it often enough, thank you very much guys! :salute:
For the FX 4xxx your motherboard should be able to push it pretty far if you can keep the vrm section cool it will be helpful, as mentioned.

Luckily you didn't go all out and pick up an FX9590. Ha ha
I can only imagine ;)

Every so often...

...it gets to a thread like this where the information gets all pulled to the surface more or less in one place. Where we have been. Why we went there. The results of going. I often go to a site that has long running threads on a 'particular' mobo and IF you can read thru 1000s of posts, if the board was poplular, there is a lot of information in one location. But there is the post from one saying he is buying the mobo. Wow. Then the post that says, his shett is running awesome without validation and as said earlier, I discard that immediately since we get those in here off and on as well. We ask them has P95 Blend mode run for 2 hours and generally they have not tested or have some "non-reply". Busted. Hehehe.

Among the major so-called help forums, this is the only one that really asks for information about the rig in question by the graphics asked for and then when it is a *normal*, well understood mobo, the helpers can actually and actually work with the user to reach X overclock and give guidance all along the way. It takes a 'heart' to help for this sort of thing to happen for at least the 3 years I have been back as a regular to the AMD cpu/mobo section.

There is another thing that seems done by most of those that help in here and that is that they actually 'read' the posts. Oh we all miss the point of a post at times, but by and large the helpers here do read the posts and thread. That too takes time and a 'heart' to help.

I must now switch gears slightly and say that generally we seem to get the better users asking for help just as with "Anuran". He has n0t taken our critique in any way other than the spirit of the critique. We want to do the best job overall at helping that we can. We wish the users to have the best long-term experience that we know about. So I say again that where we seem to be the mobo-police very often since the release of the HoT, high current requiring cpus; we seem to get users with a mindset to really know and practice the best procedures as we understand such things.

I cannot begin to count the number of first time posters that within even hours have responded that they have ordered a new motherboard to facilitate their overclocking experience. This after a seemed attack by the mobo-police. That too would seem to indicate the 'heart' of that user and that he knows himself. This is indeed a very different forum section and collection of AMD users. Very different indeed. Until 3 years ago, it had been just about 10 years since I had run into a forum section such as the one right here. I have seen one or two that were close but the site has now gone.

So "Anuran", you have again been in the clutches of the "forum" and seeing you go for heatsinks and the like...very best fortune to you in your computering experience.

Long-winded ole faht over and out.
RGone...ster.

Johan man you are getting mighty dang quick and good on those graphic uploads. I fear the ole faht is slowing. Hehehe.
RGone...ster.

Johan man you are getting mighty dang quick and good on those graphic uploads. I fear the ole faht is slowing. Hehehe.
RGone...ster.

Ya somedays my job here is just really,really,really busy. :rofl::rofl:

a little update and a question. my Heatsinks just arrived.

where should i apply them? either 1 or 2 on the picture?

Attachments

• m5a98_example.jpg
    m5a98_example.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 355
On most motherboards both areas are sinked but those in area #2 for certain. You need to be very careful not to get conductive heat sink compound across any of the open wires/pins/connections as it can short.
RGone...

done. was quite tricky with all the hardware around lol. not the best solution but i hope this will do.

Attachments

• vrm.jpg
    vrm.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 349
yup a lil bit. 5°C cpu less and 9°C cpu socket less. i cant measure vrm temp but since i have some small heatsinks + my old fx-4350 stock cooler blowing at them, i think temps should be "okay" too. by the way, the stock cooler really freaks out running at ~6000 RPM. makes me think a jet is starting lol. i have to throttle with speedfan else its unbelievable annoying

Yes they are really loud, I had a 5000 rpm on the back of mine before and same thing only I used the Mobo for control

Back