• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Safe Folding like this?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stratcatprowlin

Untill I get a case for this XP2800 is it safe to fold 24/7 like this or will the back of the cpu burn a hole in the cardboard box lol?
XP2800Folder.jpg

IMO, I wouldn't even run ANY computers like that. Do you have at least a table to set it on?

It'll be safe as long as no kids spill stuff into it (or yourself if you are as clumsy as I am) or you don't have pets to shed into it. (or a cat that likes the taste of silicon and will try to eat your video card)

psyshack said:
I run machines like that. Meaning open and laying about. But never on carpet.

The dumb bells are a nice adder. LMAO
I have rigs running like that for weeks... but not on the carpet. Carpet + mobo = static shock + dead mobo

I personally wouldn't trust the box, either. Even if it is a strong box, it could potentially melt/burn from the heat. And also, bumping the box may result in the hardware to hit the carpet... and zap! -> bye-bye mobo...

I have two computers folding like that 24/7/365

Granted they're only a duron 800 and PIII 1000, the heat load isn't too high. I have never seen any 'burning' of either of the boxes.

My boxes are big enough to fit the PSU and harddrive inside, with the mobo on top (with plenty of cooling for the PSU & HDD). They're also sitting in milk crates under a table, so there's no way they can get bumped.

psyshack said:
The dumb bells are a nice adder. LMAO

lol yeah I was trying to make some type of visable boundary for people that might come in and kick it by accident.So this way they break their toe not my Folder:D

Had an xbox running like that for about 4 months, still works, hdd was on the carpet most of the time because the xbox ide cable i was using arent the same as your computer ide.

Looks like one of mine...so far all the lightning & static jumping out of the carpet havs not bothered this one or the one that was there over the past several weeks :p (this one is faster) :cool:

Attachments

• DSCF0662.JPG
    DSCF0662.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 103
I used to use a case but then i realized that i was getting much better temps open air, and as long as i have the celling fan on i get plent of movement over onboard componants that dont have active cooling :)

When I had my two open air systems running they were on pieces of plywood with pegs in them where some of the standoffs would be. Worked well and didnt have a single problem during thier 1 year run-time.

i run systems like that all the time when im just benching them and that kind of crap. ill usually throw the antistatic bag the mobo came with under it though just as a little extra protection.

Back