• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Photo of the Day

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I forgot to post these last night!

Before I left from being home for Easter, mom wanted some family pictures. (It was amazing weather, so I wasn't surprised)

The T3's "Timed Continuous" setting was amazing. I set it to 10s timer then take 2 shots.
Every time mom blinked for one of the pair of shots. My idea worked perfectly!

T3, EF-S 18-55, 25mm Focal, f/4, 1/125 sec, ISO-100
IMG_0505_Small.jpg

T3, EF-S 18-55, 25mm Focal, f/3.5, 1/160 sec, ISO-100
IMG_0510_Small.jpg

First lightning shot of the season. 18mm, f8, 30 seconds, ISO 1250.

I'm going to have to come up with a better strategy to shoot lightning out at the dam. It's pitch black out there after dark, so there's no swapping lenses easily. Had I started with the Tokina, this would have been a much better shot. But I wanted lightning directly over the water, so I used the 18-55 zoomed all the way out and it never happened.

Ah well - lots of time to get that shot this year. These were very mild thunderstorms - more interesting ones will be coming.

Attachments

• DSC_5755.jpg
    DSC_5755.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 114
I like it. Might not be filling the frame, but all of that negative space with the one brilliant strike looks awesome.

Nice flower shots guys! No flowers here yet :( ATM, good job on the portraits.

I'm going to have to come up with a better strategy to shoot lightning out at the dam. It's pitch black out there after dark, so there's no swapping lenses easily.

I picked up a miner's headlamp for like 20 bucks on amazon. Nothing too fancy, but it works really well. I like the shot as well. I've never tried lightining, but I started getting perky the other day when I saw a couple of strikes.

I picked up a miner's headlamp for like 20 bucks on amazon. Nothing too fancy, but it works really well. I like the shot as well. I've never tried lightining, but I started getting perky the other day when I saw a couple of strikes.

I have a big LED lantern that came out with me last night... the problem is, using a telephoto to catch lightning out there would have required illumination clear at the other end of the reservoir to frame the shot. The car's headlights might have reached that far, but I couldn't angle the car that way. I was also shooting out the back window to keep rain off the camera, so that limited things further. Coupled with infrequent lightning, it just wasn't happening.

Next time out there I'll set up with the Tokina first before twilight, then swap to my 28mm or 18-55 once the need arises. It's easier to set the wide angle lenses with lightning right overhead than the Tokina with the distant stuff.

Lightning shooting is a lot of fun... do it :D

ohhhh... perhaps I misunderstood. I was thinking using the miner's light for changing lenses. I certainly wouldn't use it for lighting subject matter. I use mine to keep from killing myself hiking before dawn, and that's about it.

Yeah... I could see to change the lens, it's just I had no idea even at the 70mm end where the Tokina was looking once it was on the camera. It's just totally black out there after dark. That's right about the time the lightning stopped, too, so I got nothing at all with that lens.

I suppose I could have also done a couple test shots with it at really high ISO settings to frame the shot... never went over ISO 1250 last night. Didn't even occur to me to do that, because the D5100 doesn't look good at all to me over ISO 1600. Live and learn...

Might be worth grabbing a 1M candlepower spotlight. They're fairly inexpensive these days, and reach a very long way indeed.

That was a pretty nice lightning shot in any event, I like the water reflections a lot.

So, here's my "picture of the day". It was taken with my newest toy!

T3, EF 50mm f/1.8 II, f/2.0, 1/50 sec., ISO-400
IMG_0524_Small.jpg

And a picture OF the new toy!

T3, EF-S 18-55mm, 33mm Focal, f/4.5, 1/13 sec, ISO-400
IMG_0511_Small.jpg

Ooo, it even came with the new lens cap, as did your 18-55. I'm jealous. :)

As did my 75-300mm :)

I really need to use the tripod next time I'm shooting with the nifty though...

Grats on the new toy!

Lack of IS doesn't mean a tripod is necessary, though you probably want to use one for macro, it just takes practice. Bump up your iso and increase your shutter speed. Keep your arms against your body, or brace them on/against something, and pay attention to your breathing. Keep in mind that wide open, your depth of field is going to be thin, and your pics are going to be soft. I'm just offering these tips because if you have to drag a tripod out every time you use it, you won't.

Grats on the new toy!

Lack of IS doesn't mean a tripod is necessary, though you probably want to use one for macro, it just takes practice. Bump up your iso and increase your shutter speed. Keep your arms against your body, or brace them on/against something, and pay attention to your breathing. Keep in mind that wide open, your depth of field is going to be thin, and your pics are going to be soft. I'm just offering these tips because if you have to drag a tripod out every time you use it, you won't.

Thanks Dave!

I pretty much need a tripod for all the pictures that I take in my room, its just flat dark in here.
I'll keep some of that in mind though!

Not bad, I definitely like the concept and composition. FWIW, lower ISO (think ISO 100-200), about f/11 (to make all of those lights have sunstars) and a tripod (or brick wall, or rock...something to put the camera on) with a long shutter speed would make that photo brilliant.

Absolutely love your sunset above, very well done!

Back