• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ocing AMD FX-8120

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ravara

Hi there..

well ive been overclocking my AMD FX-8120 stock at 3,1ghz up to a great 4,3ghz without any problems at all and at stock voltage.. however ive been noticeing that even tho i locked voltage at 1,325 its actually jumping to like 1,420 when i use prime 95 to stresstest, it doesnt crash or anything actually its not very hot either and running smooth but about overvoltage im not so sure it would be great in the long run so hoped anyone had some great info what it could be or even if it is something that doesnt matter, cuz i would like to keep it alot longer that a half year due to the facts its quite new :)
Sys setup.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like LLC to me. Set it to its lowest level. Then try knocking your CPU vCore down a notch.

yeah i turned down my LLC to lowest (regular) still it reaces a bit higher than id love.. 1,39 with 4,2ghz clock, but i guess when its under 1,4 voltage its not frying the chip too hard :)

Try pulling your CPU vCore down to ~ 1.26v base with LLC on regular it should top you off at around 1.35vCore max on those settings provided your 990Xa behaves similarly to the one I had. Also you should update your mobo to the F10 bios if you havent. It really smoothed out alot of the rough spots that the board had.

already updated my bios but the voltage i have now is the minimum required voltage for that clock its with 1 increment over stock (1,325v stock voltage) so about 1,35 atm, i have seen some others running 1,15 or 1,25 stock but i cant get near it at all :) and wouldnt say my mobo is that bad

Might just be a lower binned die if it has such a high stock voltage. Think 1.175v is the default on my 8120. Either way if your not overheating at those volts your good to go!

my question is just what would be the deadly voltage cap? since im running LC and planning to get bigger Rad(s) id like to max the **** out of the beast :D atm my max core temp is 36 after 1hour of BF3 and 1,39v in voltage when gaming, i would kinda hate my self for killing a young chip but on the other side i like to max things out :)

You WILL run out of cooling capacity on that CPU well before you hit a voltage I would consider dangerous.

in some weird case that is pretty sexy talking :p but perhaps i should wait till i got more than a 240Rad to cool my system

- thanks for the tips anyway! :)

if he has a 240x34 rad with good fans and waterblock he should be good for 4.9-5.0, my h100(god bless it's cruddy soul) took me to [email protected] llc took the voltage to 1.58.
amd says max voltage is 1.55v.

ahh well i got both Mobo and Gpu on my LC loop so ill keep it cool until i get a Rad more or so i might kill my pump :/ believe my water hits 35degrees atm at gaming :)

Sounds like LLC to me. Set it to its lowest level. Then try knocking your CPU vCore down a notch.

Kind of side busting here, but i've read a few people upping their LLC to high or extreme to help avoiding vdroop. As some people would set say a 1.35v on cpu, then leave vdroop on auto or regular, and would fail on a core or two due to the voltage dropping aka vdrooping.

Back