• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum (MS-7025) Guide

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I’ve herd a lot of people say that running ur ram on a divider doesn't have much of an impact with a64's, but I still personally won't run my ram on a divider other then for testing. Maybe it has something to do with paying $260bux for my ram :p

BTW godman, when I had mine set to 325x7 and using the 166 divider CPU-z reported my ram as running at 253MHz. But at post it showed 275MHz

And as for u question, I also don't see the point of running really high FSB if ur going to run ur ram on a divider and also have to lower to HT multi.

Hence y I posted this...
I’m pretty happy with the 325 my board does though, even that is kind of a waste because there is no way my CPU will do 325x10 and my ram will never do 325 1:1 :p

I don't know which setup would be faster though, I'd have to test both to find out
I'm sure someone has already done it though....

I would GUESS that if u really could match the HT and RAM freq. while having a higher HTT, that running 1:1 would give u overall better performace...

Yeah b/c think about it... if you had DDR400 ram you could do one of these:

A. 400fsb (yes, literally) x 5 multi (2.0 ghz) at 2xHTT = 800HTT
100/200 RAM divider (1:2)... thus, ram does 200fsb x 2 = 400mhz

B. 200fsb x 10 multi (2.0ghz) at 4xHTT = 800HTT
200/200 RAM divider (1:1)... thus, ram does 200fsb x 2 = 400mhz

HTT and RAM frequency end up the same, as well as the CPU...
WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE? (assume that you can do 400fsb bios setting)

Zebbo said:
Cell Menu -> DRAM Configuration
- Max Memclock(MHz): 200MHz (1:1), 166MHz (5:4), 133MHz (3:2), 100MHz (2:1)

I am surprised my eye didn't catch this. I've realized a lotta people mess this up. You should correct this Zebbo:

200mhz: 200/200 = 1/1 --> 1:1
166mhz: 200/166 = (200/33)/(166/33) = 6/5 --> 6:5
133mhz: 200/133 = (200/33)/(133/33) = 6/4 = 3/2 -->3:2
100mhz: 200/100 = (200/33)/(100/33) = 6/3 = 2/1 --> 2:1

You got the 166mhz one labeled wrong. Thanks for the info, though... I looked at the rest of the stuff several times until I finally memorized it.

Question..

Hey there all... I was directed over here from AnandTech's forums.. hopefully you all could answer some questions... however, after reading this thread, I'm going to guess there is no real answer since this board seems to be flakey...

:)

Anyway... I read that in order to OC this board, I had to have the 2 SATA drives set up on SATA 3/4, however, when I had the drives set up on SATA 3/4, during my Windows Installation, it would hang at the "Setup is Starting Windows" just after loading all of the drivers. At the start of the install, I did hit F6 and load the NVRAID and Controller Drivers, but nothing, it would just hang. The only way I was able to actually get Windows installed was to move the two drives to SATA 1 & 2. Once they were on those, Windows install sailed smoothly.

So, my questions are:

1) Does anyone know why I couldn't install Window to SATA 3/4?

2) After Windows is setup and all, can I simply just unplug the drives from SATA 1/2 and plug them back into 3/4 so that I can then OC?

I've never OC'd before, but I figured I'd give it a go once I got this system up and running...

Build:

Case: Silverstone Temjin-06 with "modified" wind tunnel to accomodate Mobo/CPU
Power Supply: OCZ PowerStream 520W
CPU: A64 3800+ w/ Stock HSF
Memory: Corsair TWINX1024-4400C25 1GB Kit DDR550 XMS4400
HDD: 2 - Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 ST3160827AS 160GB Serial ATA 7200RPM w/8MB Buffer as RAID0
Video: BFG 6800 GT 256MB

Wow, I've NEVER heard of a hang on Sata 3/4 at stock (were you even at stock?). That is quite odd. Why don't you go into BIOS and "load optimized defaults," and then try again. In either case, make sure you flash your BIOS to something more current than what you have (assuming it's not up to date), and then clear your CMOS and reload optimized defaults. Then try SATA 3/4.

In any case, yes... you MUST make sure that you're on SATA 3/4. Also, before OCing make sure you do the SHIFT+F2 ALT+F3 trick to disable the NV/ATI thingy, as well as a couple of other things. There are SPECIFIC guides that will get you started. Let me find the links...

FIRST... AND I REPEAT!!! FIRST CHECK THIS guide.

I even printed out a copy of that guide.

Then, once you're finished reading/printing that, check out the editted BIOS vault here.

g0dM@n said:
Wow, I've NEVER heard of a hang on Sata 3/4 at stock (were you even at stock?). That is quite odd. Why don't you go into BIOS and "load optimized defaults," and then try again. In either case, make sure you flash your BIOS to something more current than what you have (assuming it's not up to date), and then clear your CMOS and reload optimized defaults. Then try SATA 3/4.

Yes, this is basically straight out of the box setup. I haven't touched anything in BIOS, other than to ensure that SATA 1/2/3/4 were enabled. I basically followed the manual exactly as it said to get a bootable Windows RAID configuration. The only thing I changed to get the Windows install to work was switch the cables from 3/4 to 1/2 and it worked.

g0dM@n said:
In any case, yes... you MUST make sure that you're on SATA 3/4. Also, before OCing make sure you do the SHIFT+F2 ALT+F3 trick to disable the NV/ATI thingy, as well as a couple of other things. There are SPECIFIC guides that will get you started. Let me find the links...

I'll be sure to check out those guides... Anyway, do you think after the install I could just move the cables from 1/2 to 3/4 and it will work? Also, do I need to ensure that 1 goes to 3 and 2 goes to 4 if I do move the cables?

Just make sure that you put your OS on the first of any SATA. If you're not using 1 and 2 (like me), then just DISABLE 1 and 2 in bios so that it doesn't have to seek it. Then hook up the OS hdd to #3, and the spare to #4. I have two SATA in my rig and that's exactly what I did. I'm still dumbfounded as to why you had trouble on 3/4, and not with 1/2.

g0dM@n said:
Just make sure that you put your OS on the first of any SATA. If you're not using 1 and 2 (like me), then just DISABLE 1 and 2 in bios so that it doesn't have to seek it. Then hook up the OS hdd to #3, and the spare to #4. I have two SATA in my rig and that's exactly what I did. I'm still dumbfounded as to why you had trouble on 3/4, and not with 1/2.

I'm striping the SATA drives (RAID0)... so I'll just make sure I move 1->3 and 2->4..

Oh... you'd probably have to reconfigure your raid, but I'm ALL that sure b/c I've never done it myself.

dsorrent said:
I'm striping the SATA drives (RAID0)... so I'll just make sure I move 1->3 and 2->4..
I have never heard of the problem that your describing, How ever I did do the install on 1&2 and then moved it to 3&4 after reading that 1&2 wernt locked. I have no issues and nothing extra needed to be done. Some raid setups are fussy as to what channels the raids are created on, but the Nvidia raid doesnt seem to care.

Dsorrent, have you been able to figure out why it was screwed up on the SATA 1/2? You should try other forums as well. I don't think anyone here has had that problem. If MSI has forums try there; otherwise, try calling the idiots.

RiggaMortes said:
1 & 2 aren't locked on my board, I use 3 & 4... good thing I only have two SATA devices.

All of the Neo2s have SATA 3&4 locked, and SATA 1&2 unlocked... ALL of them.

question. how do you set a voltage on this board? do you HAVE to select one of the "over by %" choices? or can you just set the voltage and be done?

Back