• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Platinum owners? OC ability?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rivercom9

I am debating whether to get a Soyo KT333 Platinum, but I do not know how much overclocking potential it has. If you or someone you know who owns a Platinum, please post your comments on how well or terrible its OCing.

Thanks a lot guys!

Bump.

Does anyone have a Plat and is currently OCing on it? I really need to know how well it OCs before I buy it.

Well I read a review that said it wasn't too bad. I don't think it is as good as the new Epox 333 mb, but it is better than the Abit AT7. I will try to find the review.

Personally I would like to hear from someone who actually has used it.

If I find the review I will post again. :)

If you are looking for a new Soyo board just spend the extra couple bucks and get the kt400. It is a much better overclocker with more bios features, plus it will support the new 333 cpus.

Rcoe said:
If you are looking for a new Soyo board just spend the extra couple bucks and get the kt400. It is a much better overclocker with more bios features, plus it will support the new 333 cpus.

Good point. From what I have heard the KT400 is pretty much a KT33a.

i have the kt400du platnium and i can get my 2000+ to 1826 @1.85 volts and just water cooling if i through some ice cubes in there i can get it to 1925. also i can get me 1.2 duron up to a 200 mhz fsb (duble the fsb woohoo) anything more and it messes up my hard drive try to dubble an xp's fsb wont happen but I like the board

I have the Soyo dragon ultra Plant with a XP 2000+

Iv been able to run upto 152MHz at 1.80 volts just fine.

The other day I decided I would try unlocking my XP and managed to get up to 162mhz. At 164 and 166 I got an error saying there was a drive read error before starting XP and to restart. I had to reinstall Windows XP which was a pain in itsself.

I dont know if its my XP and how good a job I did unlocking it or it its the board but when I tried for a 13X muiltplier I ended up with 10.5 (I think) and it said I had a 1700+ cpu....grrr......I tried 12x and it said I had a 1800+ tho 11 and 11.5 worked. Another odd thing is that when the computer would bootup it would sometimes restart its self 3-4 times before you even heard the first beep.

Im asuming my cpu was unlocked right since I could pick a muiltplier lower then 12.5 but I dunno. (Any thoughts?)

The worse part was when running at 162MHz (mem at 162 CAS2) sandra 2003 puts my memory at around 2150/2000 compared to 152Mhz which is 2000/2000.

Since there wasnt really any gains and because of the problems with my harddrive, I removed my unlocking crap so the cpu was locked again.

Does anyone know when the 1/5 divider kicks in? please dont say its 166mhz!

Dragonfire if you have the Soyo kt333 board it does not have any divider. Some of the kt333 boards like the epox have a 1/5 divider that kicks in at 166, but Soyo really missed the boat on that one. If you have the kt400 it is selectable in the bios.

Well this would explain why I cant run at 166MHz, my pci would be at 41Mhz and my agp at 83....EWWWW

Of course this doesnt explain the muiltplier weirdness that I got.....kine like tryin to use a 14x muiltplier made my computer bootup at 500mhz ....lol

I really dont understand why they just dont lock the pci and agp bus speeds at 33 and 66 so it doesnt matter what everything else is.......and in this day in age I cant see them not being able to lock them down....

Just like instead of AGP 8X they should just make AGP 4X run at 100Mhz over 66....

kinda like AMD should stop wasting its time locking cpus when people can easily unlock them.....

and why can motherboard makers all put the stupid psu socket in the same place (at the top) ! GRRRR

It would be nice to lock them down like you can on the pent 4 boards and some of the new NF2 boards have this feature.

It does look like AMD has stopped locking their cpu's starting with the 2200 t-bred. You just need a kt400 board to do this.

I got my kt333 to 150Mhz FSB without losing any stability. However, I think I will get a kt400 because I want my processor to be running at least 166Mhz, not bringing up the rear at 150

mariner1911 a 150fsb is very good for that board, better than I could get on mine. With my kt400 i got up to 175 before the sigma box usb2.0 ports started crapping out on me, that was my limiting factor. I think this is a sigma box issue rather than a high fsb issue as it still does it occasionally.

Today however I will have new usb2.0 pci card and new 2700 cpu. Now I will be able to see how high this board will go.:D

I'm just sic about the Soyo I have...I've got an unlocked XP200 and can only get it uP to 1938...I need more voltage...but the Soyo only goes uP to 1.85...I'm lookin for the new Epox 8k9a3+ which will go uP to 2.10...

stepper, not sure why you would want to pump that much voltage unless you good some VERY good cooling. My ambient temp is 21c and I have a compunurse touching the core, and with my sk-7, as-3, and vantec 80mm tornado(84.1 cfm) I get temps of 47c at full load, idle im around 39c.

1600+ 9x195 ~1750mhz (chip wont go any higher :( )
1.85 volts

So far my kt400 has been a great overclocker :)

DipStick,
How R U at handling the truth...I know I'm gonna be really sorry bout this...the answer is because I don't really have a clue as to what I'm doin...and I can't get the 2200 any faster than 1938...OMG...I'm already sorry...

Stepper.

Post a list of what you have as far as equipment and what settings you are running. Temps would also be useful. Then we might be able to help you get a little more out of your system.

O don't think going out and buying a new motherboard will get you a better overclock. Most likely your vcore is not holding you back, I am running 2ghz on my 2200 with a vcore of 1.775. It seems the t-bred revA doesn't really like alot of juice.

Just remember it is not each individual peice of hardware that makes a good overclock, it is how well they work together and are tuned.

Rcoe...now that's what I'm talkin bout...I come into these forums for help and to learn...I've got parts...AND ca$h...no...I'm not some mama's bouy...I'm a grown 54yr old man...with many interests...this is jus where my focus is today...I'll have to go fire uP the system and take a look at the settings...as far as the equipment goes...

AMD XP2200/unlocked
Soyo KT333 Ultra Platinum
512mb corsair XMS pc3200c2
Swiftech MCX462+ and Smart Fan II
Maxtor 7200 60g ata133 HD
ATI Radeon8500/64mb
Yamaha 48x24x48 Burner
LS120 Floppy

Thanx 4 Ur input

Back