• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$1100-1200 to spend on a system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sundaythedog

I need to spend all this money (OK...I don't really NEED to, but I'd like too) on the best overclocking system that this much can buy. Preferably an Intel CPU w/ at least a mobo that supports DDR333. So what do y'all think I should get?

[EDIT: Oh yeah, I want on-board sound and LAN...I don't care too much what the sound quality is]

sundaythedog said:

[EDIT: Oh yeah, I want on-board sound and LAN...I don't care too much what the sound quality is]

just a comment on the onboard deal... Maybe i have bad luck. but when OCing the onboard sound for me stopped working. maybe others with onboard integrated stuff can share their stories.

Re: Re: $1100-1200 to spend on a system

AZN said:

just a comment on the onboard deal... Maybe i have bad luck. but when OCing the onboard sound for me stopped working. maybe others with onboard integrated stuff can share their stories.

I totally agree with AZN, the onboard sound can really hold you back when cranking up the FSB, do yourself a favor and pick up a cheap SB Live! Value :D

BTW AZN who's that chick on your Avatar???

Re: Re: Re: $1100-1200 to spend on a system

Tamasha_Strife said:

I totally agree with AZN, the onboard sound can really hold you back when cranking up the FSB, do yourself a favor and pick up a cheap SB Live! Value :D

BTW AZN who's that chick on your Avatar???
HOTTIE, AND YES I AM SCREAMING, HOTTIE.:D

jdmcnudgent said:
asus p4t533 w/4200 256 rimm: $295. shipped
p4 2.26 cpu: $240. shipped
whatever else you need to complete your system: ?????
the killer overclock and mem bandwidth that you will get with this:
priceless:D

JD,
I'm guessing the 2.26 is at 400MHz FSB? Where's a good place to get these (I think I already know the answer: NewEgg)?

Can someone recomend a good sound card that won't hold me back...not too much $$$ though?

A Creative Sound Blaster Live 5.1 won't set you back too much and should serve you well enough. LINK

I have a question for you...does this budget need to include a monitor as well? Speakers, etc?

Will on board sound hold my speeds back, or just crap out the sound but I will still get speeds??

cause I don't use sound I have like 6 sound cards and have yet to instal any of them in my new box,

nor do I plan to the odd time I use sound is when watching a DVD.

jdmcnudgent said:
asus p4t533 w/4200 256 rimm: $295. shipped
p4 2.26 cpu: $240. shipped
whatever else you need to complete your system: ?????
the killer overclock and mem bandwidth that you will get with this:
priceless:D

I agree with jd...yet I must say that I don't know much about this new mobo....yet.

get any cheap sound card...sb live value can be gotten secand hand for almost nothing and it's great.

I do know onboard lan and sound can sometimes suck when you OC high.

if you can get a 2.26b then you will be very happy.
think 3.0ghz with RDRAM bandwith on the asus mobo.:eek:

I hope this helps

mica

hey,jd, does this mobo have pci/agp fix???

Mica,
Yes it does have agp/pci fix. Now, about LAN card thingies:

Anybody know a cheap one for a cable modem? I don't know a thing about them. Thanks!

Will 256mb be enough? Will 256mb of RIMM4200 be comparable to 512MB PC2700/3000/3200/3500? I'm looking at NewEgg and need to know the difference between:

Asus P4T533-C Motherboard for intel Processors OEM
Asus P4T533-C Motherboard for intel Processors, Retail
Asus P4T533 i850E Motherboard for P4 Processors Retail (this one has picture of Asus box next to it..the other just have pictures of the mobo)

I realize they're the same mobo, but I need to know why they have them all at different prices. Thanks.

deRusett said:
Will on board sound hold my speeds back, or just crap out the sound but I will still get speeds??

cause I don't use sound I have like 6 sound cards and have yet to instal any of them in my new box,

nor do I plan to the odd time I use sound is when watching a DVD.

Trust me, you dont want to OC with the onboard sound, pretty much ANY card will do. Just take use one of the 6 you have laying around but please dont use the onboard sound!

sundaythedog said:
Will 256mb be enough? Will 256mb of RIMM4200 be comparable to 512MB PC2700/3000/3200/3500? I'm looking at NewEgg and need to know the difference between:

Asus P4T533-C Motherboard for intel Processors OEM
Asus P4T533-C Motherboard for intel Processors, Retail
Asus P4T533 i850E Motherboard for P4 Processors Retail (this one has picture of Asus box next to it..the other just have pictures of the mobo)

I realize they're the same mobo, but I need to know why they have them all at different prices. Thanks.

Asus P4T533-C Motherboard for intel Processors OEM uses 16bit RDRAM (which means you need 2 rimms for it to work) and comes without manual, cables or anything else.
Asus P4T533-C Motherboard for intel Processors, Retail is the same as above but comes with manual cables and everything
Asus P4T533 i850E Motherboard for P4 Processors Retail uses 32bit RDRAM which can be used alone, in other words you need a single RIMM to make it work. It's also packaged with manual & cables.

Whichever you choose, make sure you pick the right memory because 32bit RIMMs wont work in a 16bit board. About memory size well I'm running Win98SE and I have only 256mb of PC133 SDRAM and my father is running a P4 1.5 with Win2K and he has only 128mb PC600 RDRAM. However, the P4 is slowwww and it only gets worse when multitasking. Id say get as much as you can, while 256mb would be ok, 512mb wont be too much if youre running WinXP!

Oh also the OEM mobo has a much shorter warranty while the other 2 most likely have a 1 year warranty.

Alright, thanks! I just ordered everything 2nd day air from NewEgg. And guess what! I forgot to include Arctic Silver III. Do any local chain stores carry it (Microcenter...etc)? $17 2nd day from New Egg! ARGGGHHH!

micamica1217 said:

I agree with jd...yet I must say that I don't know much about this new mobo....yet.

get any cheap sound card...sb live value can be gotten secand hand for almost nothing and it's great.

I do know onboard lan and sound can sometimes suck when you OC high.

if you can get a 2.26b then you will be very happy.
think 3.0ghz with RDRAM bandwith on the asus mobo.:eek:

I hope this helps

mica

hey,jd, does this mobo have pci/agp fix???
yes it does.:D

sundaythedog said:
Alright, thanks! I just ordered everything 2nd day air from NewEgg. And guess what! I forgot to include Arctic Silver III. Do any local chain stores carry it (Microcenter...etc)? $17 2nd day from New Egg! ARGGGHHH!

don't feal bad....I too bought everything but AS3.

yes, most local stores carry it....yet it cost me $10 for the small tube.

good luck

mica

Tamasha_Strife said:

Asus P4T533-C Motherboard for intel Processors OEM uses 16bit RDRAM (which means you need 2 rimms for it to work) and comes without manual, cables or anything else.
Asus P4T533-C Motherboard for intel Processors, Retail is the same as above but comes with manual cables and everything
Asus P4T533 i850E Motherboard for P4 Processors Retail uses 32bit RDRAM which can be used alone, in other words you need a single RIMM to make it work. It's also packaged with manual & cables.

Whichever you choose, make sure you pick the right memory because 32bit RIMMs wont work in a 16bit board. About memory size well I'm running Win98SE and I have only 256mb of PC133 SDRAM and my father is running a P4 1.5 with Win2K and he has only 128mb PC600 RDRAM. However, the P4 is slowwww and it only gets worse when multitasking. Id say get as much as you can, while 256mb would be ok, 512mb wont be too much if youre running WinXP!

Oh also the OEM mobo has a much shorter warranty while the other 2 most likely have a 1 year warranty.

Uh oh. I bought my Abit TH7-II refurbed from newegg and it didn't include c-rimms. After searching everywhere locally (didn't want to wait to order it online) I finally found a local computer store that sold them. So the guy who works there fishes out 2 c-rimms from a drawer of parts. They weren't matching (one was abit, one didn't have any markings I noticed), but I figured they just had to complete the circuit, so who cares? When I tried to put them in the mobo they didn't lock the white side clips when I pushed the c-rimms in. I ended up just pushing down the white clips onto them and they're in there, just a tad loose. Do you think I could have gotten the wrong size type of c-rimms for my board? Or does it not matter?

Back