• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best HSF for under say... $10

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tseongsun

I'm building a budget computer for a friend and he doesn't have the $$ for an SLK800 or an AX7 or what not. He doesn't plan on overclocking and just wants a really cheap but stable computer. So the pricerange is around $10 but not set in stone. Any suggestions?

hrrrrmm that is a very tight budget but i suggest you just get a retail CPU and use the stock cooler. OR go to www.svcompucycle.com there is plenty of cheap goodies there that will at least be better than the stock amd sink probably... i can find you a product there if you want but at least look for yourself first

You probably won't be able to purchase new HSFs with $10, but if you purchase yesterday's HSFs, you should be able to acquire a decent HSF.

I have the Global WIN WBK38 and the last time I saw, it was under $10 (I think it was $4.99, but I'm not too sure). It's no longer a heavy-duty competitor, but back in its days, the WBK38 had great reviews. But keep in mind that it's very loud. ;)

I don't recall where I saw it, so visit the Vendor Discussion forum for recommended stores. Also check ResellerRatings.com before doing any business online. From my searches, SVC (the store Demont posted above) probably has the cheapest prices of all online vendors.

yesterday I bought a Volcano 6Cu (returned the CU+) for 8.50 plus tax, not bad, copper center with aluminium fins, not too loud, (but not quiet as the amd stock fan either), isn't the best one, but sure is better than the amd one

note: to cool a Tbird 950, not for my xp 1800, dunno if is enought

Oh yeah, can't believe I forgot to put the CPU. lol. I think I was a little tired at 3AM. The cpu will be an XP 1600+ most likely. I was looking at heatsinks at NewEgg since that's where I would get the majority of parts from.

My other friend wants an alienware (don't ask why, I said I could build him a better comp with a 18" LCD for the same price) but they use the Cooler Master DP5-7H53F. So if it's good enough to keep thousands of kids happy who are most likely gaming 24/7, I bet it would satisfy my friend's rig...

Y'know if you aren't going to overclock, mine as well use the retail AMD Heatsink lapped w/ Arctic Silver 3. Spend the 10 bucks on some very quiet Sunon case fans and you'll be set. Those SVC Goldengate come with like 60mm Delta and I don't think the sound is worth it when you're running at stock.

Yodums

I think we're just going to order the CPU as OEM since it's a lot cheaper and those don't come with a HSF I don't think

The last time I looked at SVC Golden Gate with the fan, you could purchase another fan with it also and still keep the loud fan that it comes with had you not ordered another fan, say like a quiet one. I think its rated up to a 2100+.

Back