• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question for the experianced

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Toysrme

I think I found a weird XP trend... It's been my experience through several water cooling comps I've built that once a cpu gets use to under say 35-40C. They don't particularly like running between say 10 or 15C that they were running fine before.

I did one at the beginning of this year for a friend with a 1.1 tbird using a stock heatsink. Now from what I have written down. (aka remember) temps hovered in the high 40's to high 50's.

I swap it to an sk-6 and lapped it with asII and whatnot. So temps improve, however my temp log seems to have gotten torn out for a few pages. (so I don't remember he temp<g>)

So he doesn’t like it because it was too loud. Well thanks! (hey it aint my wasted money right???) So I stick the stock hsf on after prepping it... Well then it did nothing but heat lock...

So I'm talking out my @SS at this point, but anyone else ran into similar experiences?

One of my personals is swapping mine back and forth from my WC setup last year to my dorb. Always heat locked doing light work. (word/browsing)

-Toysrme

unless the actual chip is dying...i dont see how the changes in heat could effect it, because they make the heatsinks so that they will work with the cpus...they are not made to cool well, but in any way, when mounted correctly, even with a thermal pad..it should work just fine..even though your temps were better at one point...it just doesnt make any sense

I know. That's why I think it's so wierd. Someone take a chip that's been watercooled or better for quite along time. If overclocked set it back to stock with a good heatsink. (one that'll keep it away from 60C but not one that'll never see 50C)

It's Just crazy because it's like they don't work as stable. Once you get a taste of the best... j/k

-Toys

u're scaring me .. my XP1800+ runs 35C full load (it's winter, and I just got it) .. if what u said is correct, then in summer, I'd have tons of lockupss ... urghhh ...

I doubt that. I've gone through one hot summer ok. Really I'm problably just blowing smoke out my butt. It's just that I would really like to see if anyone else has encountered anything similar.

-Toysrme

Back