• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I change my CPU multiplier on my P4 2.4B C1 for a better OC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

M Powered

I have always thought that the CPU multiplier was locked on the P4s? Strange thing I just noitced this morning is that I could change it.

Is this the definition of an Unlocked CPU?

Is it wise to change the CPU multiplier for a better OC?

I am running stable right now at 2.8Ghz 1.7vcpu

You may have the option to change it in the bios (which is weird on an intel mobo) but it will not change it.You can not unlock intel chips.

NiTrO bOiE said:
If you have a unlocked chip... man your lucky. But most unlocked chips read "Intel Confidential" on the label.

Whats so great about having an unlocked chip or a chip that has never beeen locked?

M Powered said:

Whats so great about having an unlocked chip or a chip that has never beeen locked?

1. If you have an unlocked chip, that means it's an engineering sample straight from intel. These chips are VERY difficult to procure. They are not sold to the public at all.

2. You can lower the multiplier and crank up the FSB as high as your other components can take it. Generally speaking, higher FSBs = greater performance.

Back